Elavon / Company engages in fraud

1 CA, United States Review updated:

Elavon took thousands of dollars out of the accounts of our customers without our authorization. Originally when we contacted them we assumed they made an honest mistake. After talking to them for hours, and with their unwillingness to fix the problem they caused, it became clear
Elavon is a company engaging in fraud. They take large amounts of money from accounts illegally, charge you for taking it, then charge you for returning it. I have seen similar complaints about Elavon all over the internet. Our credibility as a company took a major hit with our customers due to the practices of Elavon. We will be dropping them as soon as humanly possible and we will be filing complaints/charges with the appropriate regulatory bodies. Why would Costco associate themselves with a company with such a long history of fraud complaints?

Comments

• Fr
      13th of Jun, 2009

Yeah, right. I bet you are one of those merchants who doesn't keep your customer's information safe and it got stolen. Then you blame the processor for something that is your fault.
    If it was a processing error on Elavon's part they would have fixed it. Seen it happen before.
    BTW, where is the LONG history of Fraud complaints of which you speak?

13th of Jan, 2019

@FraudStinks I was ripped of by the guys too. I've been in business for 18 years with not even one chargeback. I had one customer inquire about a charge on his card that an employee used. All he wanted was to verify it wasn't fraud. Elavon cut me off and held 12, 000 in funds for 2 months. I had to borrow money to stay open. No, these guys suck and you suck for thinking this guy is full of crap when in reality he's trying to keep someone else from being scammed.

• La
      21st of Jul, 2009

Elavon is a nightmare. I found this site trying to find a way out of the situation these guys put our small business in, as you can get no help from the company, if you do you are promised one thing and they never deliver. If you do business with this co. ou are putting your money and business in jeapordy.

• Eu
      15th of Aug, 2009

Elevon started delaying our deposits then with held a deposit for no reason. Their delayed deposits for no reason caused our checks to bounce. Then Wachovia started charging NSF fees because of Elevon. We had three consecutively higher grossing sales months and they started questioning every transaction that we had swiped and had signatures for. Harassing us for being successful! We are changing processor and banks ASAP! Time to call the DA an the FBI.

• Do
      6th of Oct, 2009

I closed the doors to my business a year and a half ago. This company is still trying to get mine and my former clients information. Why? It must be "great customer service..." NOT.
    Smells like rotting fish to me.

• Sp
      8th of Oct, 2009

I have just got set up with a merchant account and found the Rep Andrew parker and his bodd Paul to be missleading
    they told me I woul get the money in 2-3 and 7 days max but in fact once I took the payment it took 3 days to get from my terminal
    to there system then they keep it seven day aftet that I won't see it for another 3 days plus theas are all working days so include 2 week ends
    total to 18 days of my money sat in the bank and system,
    They told me lies this is a company called CPS (card prcessing solutions in the UK)
    Beware befor you sign up.

22nd of Oct, 2009

OK spacom2000 - you are talking about a completely different company. CPS is not Elavon.

In answer to merchants having deposits delayed, there is always a reason. When your account is set up you agree to process a certain amount each month based on your business type. If you suddenly have a higher amount processed, it looks suspicious. Elavon has a very active risk department who looks at this type of activity because often it's a sign of either a merchant having problems or running transactions that are not allowed by the card associations. Too many times in the past, Elavon has seen a merchant run large transactions on their own credit cards or those of friends to "loan" their business money. When the business fails or the merchant can't pay the bill on the credit card, chargebacks start coming in and Elavon eats the money if they don't have a reserve set up. Many processing companies require said reserve up front, we don't. But if you're doing something that looks like possible fraud or that could be dangerous to your business (such as factoring - running charges for another business) a reserve will be imposed. All you have to do is ask, and it will be explained to you.

• El
      27th of Oct, 2009

Elavon is a disaster i could say. I like the rep when he came to our store, so i trusted him. Mistake number one. he was a total ###, ###, he said one thing next i found another. i asked for MC and Visa only, i got an Amex account, i said i dont' need it, i don't want to accept Amex, he said no it's part of the contract, i looked at the contract, guess what, it's written in his hand writing after the contract was signed. i asked him if his company deals with a 3rd party for accepting CCs, he said no, in fact they do, there are few different companies they deal with, including Tangerine Payment Solutions (the rep was from this company). Elavon's contract says qualified rate at 1.60% the bumped it to 1.65% less than a year into my contract, i said whatever 0.05% doesn't make a different. now i have recently found out, the partial rate and non-qualified rate of 2.49%, i am actually paying over 4.19%, which is ridiculous.
    FraudStinks, Ealvon sucks cause they would not help or even try to pull up your account to see what's going on, everytime i call they transfer me from Canadian Elavon to US, and back to Canada. This goes on for a good 1 hr. and at the end they say ohh you gotta wait for a account analysis to call you back, which they never did. and there is the history of fraud my friend.

• Ta
      30th of Oct, 2009

Totally agree... Tangarine, Elavon, LFG they all suck. Be warned and stay away. If you sign with them they've got you by the *&$%#. They up your rates after you've signed a contract; how is that fair?

• +1 Votes

STAY AWAY FROM ELAVON aka CROWN MERCHANTS ASSOCIATION, ETC!!! IT IS A SCAM! THEY LIE TO YOU AND TAKE YOUR MONEY!!!
    We signed a contract initially and asked our sales rep from Hickory, NC (where Crown Merchants Association is located) to hold it as we were not sure if we wanted to sign up because of changes within our business structure, but we may be interested. He informed us no problem it was just for a credit check anyway.. LIE. He put our application through that day. But yet when I kept getting bank statements he lied and acted like he didn't know why we were getting them...3 times he said this, on 3 different occasions. 3 times he said he would look into it and fix it. 3 times I told him it needed to be cancelled we had not yet made a decision. He yelled at me and told me I was confused and said "well you had waited so long I figured you wanted to go ahead with it". He is a liar the company is a SCAM!!! He told his company I wanted to sign up, well if that was true then why did you check in on us for THREE months asking us if we were ready to put the contract through??? He lied to us the whole time and did not respect our wishes on waiting until we were ready to make a decision. DO NOT WORK WITH THIS COMPANY!!! THEY ARE FRAUDULANT!!!

15th of Nov, 2009

OK guys I am actually surprised I found such a website.
    We are a contractor with Elavon and they do have many independent contractors. Elavon is the third largest
    credit card processor and is owned by US Bank. Trust me guys they would never do anything illegal, in fact they have a very honest and strict legal department. I have been over at their headquarters in Knoxville TN and met a lot of the regular folks working at customer service, chargeback and other departments, I have to tell you they are the salt of the earth. Now we, on the other hand, are independent contractors (ISO/MSP) that sell Elavon's services in our cities through our agents. To become an ISO/MSP we have to be regsitered direclty with Visa/MC/Discover and folks it is a hard and expensive process. Now read carefully. Credit card processing is probably the only industry in the US that is not in any way regulated. We know that.It's just some of us decide to do dishonest business I guess...But there are a several very decent ISOs out there, and they do care about their reputation. I could turn around and charge my merchants triple the rates and I wouldn't be legally responsible!!! I have a merchant now that was underpaid $47, 000 by his previous processor and to this day can't get his money back. No one is responsible, and trust me he has called every federal office possible.
    If you notice a rate hike (that is if you are able to figure out those twisted statements) you should go back to your contract. To increase your processing rate your ISO (would that be Tangerine, Crown Processing or whoever)has to submit a rate increase form to Elavon, BUT with your SIGNATURE on it. Thats your only edge, that is if you can prove that you haven't signed that form. The reason I am typing all this is I know that merchant fees are one of your largest bills that you have running your business. I have seen merchants paying as much as 6% for credit card processing!!! I don't do this to get customers, I am not gonna put my contact info out there. I would be happy to give advice, that is if you are a real merchant with a problem, and not some sleazy competitor trying to badmouth Elavon.

13th of Jan, 2019

@Davi$dMerchant They shut me down over 1 inquiry. Then changed their mind and said I had too many high $ transactions. Held 12, 000 for 6 weeks for no reason... I had to borrow money to stay open. NO>> THESE GUYS NEED TO BE SHUT DOWN ! I've had 3 other processors in the last 17 years and I've never run into anything like these guys before.

• De
      26th of Nov, 2009

Biggest scam company working with Tangerine is co. ca;lled Merchant Cash Direct aka MCD aka Canadina Merchants Association aka CMA. They are run by a con man called Maurice verrelli who has been convicted by the FTC for 9 Million in telemarketing fraud. Now he has changed the name of his 2 scam cos. they are ased at 1801 McGill College Ave ste.900 in MOntreal, Quebec Canada. 1-866-601-8698 and other tel. numbers. They are a total scam they lie about everything. They lie about rates about contact that in non cancellable. They overcharge by misleading people. They are a total scam.

• Mi
      3rd of Dec, 2009

I have been a customer of NOVA and now Elavon for over 11 years with no problems, suddenly they have taken over $200 from my account, causing it to be overdrawn and causing me to be charged fees from my bank. I called them expecting no problems, and it went fine in the beginning, Mandy told me they had taken this amount from a huge amount of their customers in error and were going to issue a mass credit to each customer. BUT they have no idea when. Talking with supervisors Lisa Oliver and Amber (X7867) they basically told me that it is just to bad that they took this money by mistake during a recession, at Christmas time from small businesses all across the nation and they they will issue credit some time but have no idea when.
    I would highly recommend NOT doing any business with this company.
    I have been in the credit industry for over 21 years and have never been treated so poorly by anyone I have ever done business with. They are self admitted thieves.

13th of Jan, 2019

@MichelleDunn You're not alone. Elavon should be investigated for fraud. They make money off the interest while they hold the millions of dollars of customers money for bogus reasons.

• Mi
      3rd of Dec, 2009

I saw your comment on a post where someone was complaining about Elavon. I have been a customer of NOVA/Elavon for over 11 years. I am not a competitor and you said if someone who was a merchant needed help to contact you.
    I need help.
    Elavon has taken $210.84 out of my account in error, an error they were happy to tell me they made, BUT my problem is that even though they admit this error and tell me they are going to issue credit - they tell me it could be 3 weeks, it could be 2 months, they really don't know when they are going to credit me. !!??
    They took this money with no warning causing my account to go into a negative balance and incurring more fees upon me, because of their error. They told me "to bad".
    I have worked in the credit and debt collection industry for over 21 years, and have never encountered such terrible customer service and business practices. I know everyone makes mistakes and kudos to them for admitting their mistake, but what is the story with them just keeping my money for months and using it as they like, especially during a recession and at Christmas time?
    Such poor customer service, terrible ethics and very, very bad treatment of loyal customers.
    I am so disappointed in them and now they tell me they can't discuss this issue with their customers any longer and I must deal with their "general counsel" who has no name, but is at their same Knoxville TN address - of course no phone number.
    So, if there is anything you can do or tell me how I can get my money back from them, that would be very helpful!

6th of Dec, 2009

Hi Michelle Dunn!
    I will do my best! Altough I must say I haven't heard of anything like this, and I have many merchants with Elavon.
    I will need your MID # and business name.
    If you don't feel like posting it, email it to guaranteedmerchant@gmail.com

Davi$dMerchant

10th of Dec, 2009
    Best Best Advice +4 Votes

I had a merchant account with Elavon also. Switched to another company for better rates with one month left on my contract and they charged me 4 months fee as "liquidated damages". I am sure this would not stand in any court but they take it right out of your account and it's not worth the time and aggravation to sue to get it back. Phone calls get you only low level employees (rude and officious). Good company to avoid.

15th of Dec, 2009

US BANK owned ELAVON is the most unethical, immoral, unprofessional and fruadulent company in the market.

They continually withold money from your account (putting your money into their own 'Reserve Account') - without any prior or justifiable notice or reasoning.

In addition, they continually try to keep withdrawing your hard earned money from your own business bank account.

They continually decieve and lie to you - making things up and denying things that suit them as they go.

They basicly steal money paid to you by your own customers - and withold it for as long as they can in their own private reserve account.

I know this 100% because our Company has just been a victim of Elavon after being a loyal customer of theirs for over 7 years.

They withheld tens of thousands of dollars and withdrew thousands more from our bank account.

STAY AWAY FROM US BANK owned ELAVON

US Bank's Elavon company is responsible for many small businesses literally being forced to shut down, or lay people off addding to the already terrible unemployment situation, and/or not be able to pay their fixed business operating costs --- and all for Elavons and US Banks own personal greed.

Elavon withheld $2.5 million from Angies List - almost forcing them into bankruptcy. Dig a bit deeper on search engines and you will find a LOT more about Elavon disgraceful actions and business practices - where they have withheld money, foced companies to shut down, created unemployment - and they just keep on doing it.

Wasn't US Bank greeed one of the big contributors to the economic downfall we are all facing!! - didn't they get billions in bail out money!! --- and now they are literally stealing money from companies, creating more unemployment, and making the whole economic situation even worse!!

If you want to stay in business Do NOT go anywhere near US Bank owned Elavon !!

If you have been a Victim of US Banks Elavon company - contact your Senators, Congressman, and most importantly the MEDIA (it's easy to do widespread and very effective press releases through various online providers - just do a search for PR news and you will see many media distribution services)--- it is the BEST way to deal with these disgraceful, unscrupulous and immoral businesses - Plus, it is amazing how these companies react when you spread their name around the media circuit and how they suddenly change their attitude towards you and then want to try and resolve everything with you

You can also contact and file complaints with the FTC for Elavon and OCC for US Bank

15th of Dec, 2009

Steve M.: How about getting your facts straight before you go trashing a company you know nothing about. U.S. Bank was not a contributor to the economic downfall as you like to think. They were offered bail out money by the government and promptly returned it.

I find it funny that everyone who has a complaint about Elavon had their accounts closed due to past due balances and illegal practices. Reserves are put into place because of risk. By creating these reserves, Elavon is helping themselves and the businesses they process for avoid drastic losses from cardholder fraud. If merchants would pay more attention to the cards their taking instead of staring at the dollar signs in their eyes, chargebacks wouldn't be such an issue. Most merchants with a reserve were put there because of a large amount of chargebacks or suspicious transactions that could lead to chargebacks. Elavon has written off MILLIONS of dollars each year in uncollected chargebacks. Why should they lose money because a merchant doesn't check the signature on the back of a card or insists on shipping merchandise to Ghana even though they were told it was probably fraud? They shouldn't. If merchants took more responsibility for their actions, Elavon wouldn't have to use the reserve system to avoid loss.

13th of Jan, 2019

@FraudStinks FRaudstinks works for ELAVON... LOOK AROUND . YOU WILL FIND HUNDREDS OF COMPLAINTS ABOUT ELAVON AND A VERY FEW SUPPORTERS.

16th of Dec, 2009

Fraudstinks: there is only 1 possible reason your response is so knowledgeable about Elavon, and why you so desperately try to protect them and defend their immoral and dirty business practices and operations.

Fraudstinks: You work for them.

Lets just cut to the absolute truth --- Elavons actions are forcing many businesses to close or scale back which has and will continue to create even more unemployment, and, more problems for the already troubled economy.

Fraudstinks: You may find it funny - but the staff and employees who are now unemployed directly because of Elavons actions - they do NOT.

If Elavon paid closer attention and cared about at any of their clients - they would see that NOT all the businesses that they are withholding money from, and/or withdrawing money from their bank accounts -- have any past due balances, illegal practices, take physical signatures, or ship merchandise to Ghana!

Elavon is carrying out their dirty business practices across the board with complete disregard --- any company - and any reason they can get away with.

Every complaint I have seen (which seems to be running into thousands) ranging from small to large companies (including Angies List where Elavon withheld $$2.5 million and almost made them file bankruptcy) --- all the Elavon complaints are all extremely consistent and all have the same legitimate complaints over and over again.

Existing Elavon merchants --- watch out !! ... they could be withholding your money right now!!.. and withdrawing money from your bank account right now!! (they do it without notifying you)

Potential Elavon merchants --- think again !!... do your research - you will quickly and easily find thousands of horror stories and experiences about Elavon

Find a different merchant bank that operates legimate and ethical business practices-- and that does Not withhold your hard earned money, or withdraw money from your bank account... and whose actions do not force businesses to shut down, and make their employees and staff unemployed.

17th of Dec, 2009

I have lost several merchants because Elavon has shut them down, but guess what they were comitting fraud!!! What do you expect?
    I actually started blogging on this site hoping I might help someone with an advice or something.
    Lines are blurred Stevie- I am not even sure if you are a competitor or an upset customer.
    I tried to help but I don't think I will come back to this blog again!

13th of Jan, 2019

@Davi$dMerchant And here's the other guy that works for Elavon. Why else spend so much time on this board ? He's being PAID !

17th of Dec, 2009

Davi$dMerchant : just to make it crystal clear - I am a customer who has just had to scale back my workforce and make innocent hard working staff laid-off and unemployed... over the 'Holiday Season'... thanks to Elavon withholding thousands of dollars of our revenue and taking away our operating cash flow (without any notice).

I totally understand if a company is operating illegally - yes, shut them down (we all want that).

However, that is Not what Elavon is doing. They don't seperate the good from the bad - they act regardless across the board and thereby grossly affect innocent and legitimate businesses

We, and many others out there operate 100% legally and have done for many years. If you do a bit more research outside of this site, you will see there are many very well known and household name companies that have been victims of Elavons disgraceful tactics.

One of the worst things about how Elavon operates is that they do not even notify you or give you an opportunity to prepare and plan for the consequences of their actions - they just withhold your money and keep on withholding it (with no notice and no form of resolution).

With the way they operate, I can see why US Banks Elavon needs a Reputation Management department and why they need to monitor and try to mingle in on these Complaint sites - I bet it's their fastest growing department and one of the most secure jobs out there - they will need you for a long time!!

If you are a legitimate company with a legitimate complaint against US Bank Elavon company - keep posting 'everywhere', keep making your voice heard. Bank related complaints like this are a 'hot topic' with the media right now - and they are a quick and effective way to get your story out to the masses. We are planning a massive PR campaign in both the USA and Europe (Elavons largest markets) to help inform, educate and protect other innocent companies against how US Bank Elavon operates and the terrible and severely harmful effect it has on businesses, unemployment and the economy.

13th of Jan, 2019

@steve. m. 3 Steve... Davi$dMerchant is paid to get on boards like this and bash people with legitimate complaints about Elavons fraudulent business practices. Ignore him and thanks for spreading the word.