EkmPowershop / Destroying my Shop

2-5 United Kingdom Review updated:

FACTS: I can only have insults for EKM, so I´d better keep my tongue tied and report the facts.

I decided that EKM was too expensive, so I migrated my shop to Merchantmoms (brilliant, great service and friendly staff). I still had a year before I needed to renew my domain, WWW.OCCASIONOLOGY.CO.UK, so I said we´ll go through that when the renewal date was due. They did not contact me, Nominet was asking for a silly high fee, so I ASKED EKM TO RENEW WHEN STILL ON TIME, BUT THEY DIDN´T, they simply freed my domain. As an expired one, I lost total control of it. My domain was lost, all the products, photos, descriptions, prices and long hours I had put into it. Never a sorry, EKM even kept the keys that they were being sent and made even more difficult for me to get my shop and name back.

TERRIBLE SERVICE, completely useless, they simply got rid of my shop as I was not paying them the monthly fee and had not trouble in destroying my shop, and even put obstacles by keeping the keys. I only got my name and shop back after the "limbo" period expired and nobody bought it before I did. Now I only have to put everything back!!!

I would like to contact a lawyer and see if I can sue them, as I had put hundreds of hours developing my shop, and the worst thing is that I did not even got a sorry from them. If any has a contact for this please le me know using the contact from my shop.

Stay clear of EKM, they will not have any trouble in destroying all your hard work and will not even apologise. Do not waste your money on them, there are much cheaper and very good ecommerce hosting services.

Eva Hudson

Comments

• Fw
      1st of Jun, 2009

Sounds to me like your account was closed because you couldn't afford the monthly fee of £20! How can you be serious in business if you cannot keep a grip on that?

As if they are going to renew a domain name if you are no longer with them!

"Excuse me mate, I know I don't come to your garage any more can you put another 12 months MOT on my car for me?"

Get a grip - if your website is so important then keep a handle on your domain, don't expect a company you have left to carry on serving you.

F/W Studio

2nd of Jun, 2009

pass_the_koolaid - 'pass the idiot stick' more like!

ive been with ekm for 6 months and they have made me rich! I'm no genius, but if you struggle with ekm powershop then you better go back to the drawing board.

If you want to know what ekm is like, ask one of their customers. Now maybe they're lying but apparently they have 5000 customers. Pretty impressive for a company who doesnt know what they are doing haha.

They're the biggest so obviously everyone likes to have a go. Why are they the biggest? I thought that and decided to give it a try. Now I know why!

Free business forums - husband and wife with a vested interest against ekm? Dont worry, as an ekm customer i am disgusted people like you even have access to the internet. Ive heard that these guys are literally signing themselves up for multiple accounts pretending to make conversation - oh and they administrate, and moderate it themselves.

PS the post on complaintsboard is by the same owner of the free business forums. Which only leaves ukbf - a forum full of ecommerce providers using aliases - see the tiger commerce post for a sales rep being caught passing himself off as a happy customer of Tiger commerce.

Sounds to me like the industry is getting dirtier as ekm strive to clean it up.

I am an eBay power seller. The eBay powerseller froum is full of praise for ekm as the people on there are all genuine online traders. Something none of the above posts seem to be. Check it out - if you really are an online trader...

• Ev
      7th of Jun, 2009

To fwstudio, thanks for the insult and your strong defence of EKM; you must be defending your salary, which I can understand in these times of crisis. Please allow me to respond to your comments and have the chance of returning the compliment.. let´s go back to the drawing board as you obviously have a need of it.

To make things clear, I LEFT EKM, true. WHY? Simply because the fee was too high for the services offered when compared to other companies, not because I could not afford their fee, that´s a plainly stupid comment from you and shows that either you do not think before writing or that you are plainly stupid, hopefuly the first option but, not as you did, I will let it for you and the readers to decide if you are the owner of the stupidity stick that you happily mention.

I, like anybody else, have all the right to compare the market and change suppliers if I find a better one. EKM are not particularly good, I thought that before all this mess, and compared to other choices they are also too expensive. When I left, they continued charging me for 4 months, and it took quite a lot of calls and messages to get them to refund the money. This on a montly basis fee without a fixed length contract, as they are so happy to say. That on its own should tell you the level of care of this company.

Yes, I left, BUT THEY HAD THE GRIP ON MY DOMAIN, AND WERE RESPONSIBLE OT IT. Instead of renewing as they perfectly could have done for a fee that we had discussed and were asked to do, they freed the domain after it had expired, making it impossible to the company I had chose to renew it. They had no problem in letting my domain expire, and risk it being bought by anybody after the period of grace, which would have meant that my company´s presence and name in the Internet would be totally lost. Also, all the money spent in business cards, headed paper, marketing in the Internet and magazines... all this would have been of no use at all, and we all know that they are no cheap.

If you really have a shop with them and not a payslip, simply imagine the possibility of losing it because of their acts. In the best of cases, they were absolute useless; in the worst of cases, they SIMPLY CHOSE NOT TO RENEW, PERFECTLY KNOWING THE CONSEQUENCES. And it seems that you think this is okay in itself, which makes me wonder if I would ever want to have any business contact with you... well, no wonder, answer is no. Please let me know the name of your shop to make sure that I do not buy anything from you, as obviously you defend having no morals and it is perfectly possible that you treat your customers like EKM do.

So, were is the defence for these people? Either they are useless and you can send them your stick, or they purposely provoked a major disruption, gain loss, and the possibilify of losing the identity of a company.

IN ANY CASE, KEEP WELL AWAY OF EKM!!!

12th of Jun, 2009

11k per month through my online shop. Enough said.

Tried some real ### platforms in the past and got nowhere - so yes ekm have made me rich! i am no internet or IT guru. I just sell shoes!

Eva Hudson you noisy person - YOUR DOMAIN YOUR RESPONSIBILTY! Like I said, I'm no guru but I make sure I look after my domain. Dont just let it lapse then blame your last provider for your own idle ways.

Pass the idiot stick - why would you want to put people off so badly? Hmm me thinks you work for banana cart! Oo Oo Aa Aa

• Fb
      22nd of Jul, 2009

As the owner of www.FreeBusinessForums.co.uk, I can assure you I have no connection with Eva Hudson. People, myself included, are totally shocked by the behaviour of EKM and their Managing Director and his attitude to the way his company treats their customers.

I believe as a business forum we were far from alone to condemn the actions of EKMPowershops to delete the work of any business that uses them who questioned them. Which is why Free Business Forums stands firmly behind those that posted that you use EKM at your peril and has warned accordingly.

• Do
      19th of Jul, 2010

I have a website with ekm for sometime. Until late I had nothing but high regards for them. However, I was wanting to introduce 10% reduction on certain items. After various chats with several staff from EKM and 3 different ways how to achieve this (none of which worked) and arguing with one of them I did not want a voucher, I resorted to reducing each item individually (I have hundreds). Get your act together boys and please sing from the same hymn sheet.

• Mi
      27th of Jul, 2010

FW Studio is clearly a member of staff... i can tell by the [censor] which seems to be oozing from his mouth and his go [censor] yourself attitude. 11k a month... whoopdy doo, hardly worth getting out of bed for, besides your out numbered and they are a terrible company. Poor customer service, poor problems procedure, and well lets just say they talk alot of gas. I hate this company, and will do everything to stop other people being defrauded by them. Utterly poor company, totally disgraceful that a member of staff should post trying to stop people from finding the truth!!!

• Si
      9th of Sep, 2010

Really good service and great customer support. Obviously the people who have had a bad experience are going to post on a compliants board but its worth looking at their forum and other review sites to see how many happy customers they have such as me :)

• Ov
      16th of Nov, 2010

Although ive been with ekm for a year or so now with no problems for the last 12 hrs my website has been down and neither can i log in. Internal server error. I have reported this to them as im losing a fortune, I was a little unnerved with the telephone manner but i guess this will be the test, We lose around 68 pounds per hour when the site is down plus staff wages so i hope they get it sorted soon as i may be sending an invoice into them. so far weve been down for 11 hours we have no sales of course in that time and a full nights of ppc clicks that we will have to pay too. I wonder how well they will respond. Time will tell. I guess this will show hoow good they are. or not...

• Ov
      16th of Nov, 2010

Well. I Do have to say, it seems they have now got the site up and back running. They are looking into what actually could have caused it but the main thing is they have got it up and running, so although ive lost a nights money at least they managed get the database back up..Thats not too bad a service, we are up again.Thats the main thing. Phew...lol

• Pl
      21st of Dec, 2010

I am originally a customer of EKM, previously with yorkcomputershop.co.uk to the later plantedtanks.co.uk. The latter shop was opened on 24th March 2010, and saw an amazing response. The shop saw returns that I never imagined and as I was growing, I started to become a little complacent with my webshop. I wanted a new look and feel – and one of my acquaintances offered to build a new shop for me. I asked them to work in the EKM system but they wanted to use something else, so they commenced using a competitors system.
    The design they created was fantastic, but there were errors on the backend. This made the ordering of products difficult and in several cases the wrong products arrived. I persevered on with the new shop but things were not going well. Then on 24th November 2010, disaster struck. The person who created the new system for me – decided to amend prices, change images and also extort money from me.
    The only thing I could do in this instance was to move back to where I felt safe, using a company that I knew was secure and trustworthy. I contacted EKM again – very much in a sheepish manner as I had to swallow my pride and ask for help.
    I spoke to Mark in Sales who was disgusted with what had happened. He managed to reassure me that there was a way forward and in him – I put my whole trust. I basically asked him to do whatever was needed to resurrect my old shop, create a new image and get me back up and running again as swiftly as possible. We were backup within 24 hours. Fantastic.
    Following this – my domain was again hacked and setup to have several more attacks again. Mark engaged with Support and Jason jumped on the case. We monitored the site and across the weekend of 26th November to 28th November the domain was attacked, compromised and changed in several ways. But I was confident that anything that was done, would be rectified. Mark and Jason worked tirelessly to deliver a fantastic service. I am confident that my shop is secure, my domain is now secure and I can go about rebuilding my customer’s confidence again.
    In total – I experienced 6 days loss of sales. It cost me a lot in terms of lost revenue, and further to this pride. My sales team are now working to recover that for me and we continue to trade – although somewhat lower revenues.
    Without the help of EKM – I would be dead in the water and be forced to close my doors.
    I cannot express my gratitude enough to the ekm team.
    Tony Newsom-Virr

Plantedtanks.co.uk

• Kl
      21st of Jan, 2011

The customer support is OK. They do tell you the truth but don't expect them to go out of their way.

For 19.99 per month the whole package is a steal. Fully functional webshop to sell products online with immediate results.

This just proves people will complain about anything!

By the way, the original complaint about losing domain name... thats your problem genius. If you would have contacted ekm while your a customer and transffered it you wouldnt have an issue.

It's always someone elses fault.

• Ge
      13th of Apr, 2012

My key issue with EKM is that they say 'unlimited bandwidth' and 'all you need to do business online for £19.99' - this isn't actually true.
    If you go over their (unspecified) bandwidth allowance, you become a high user and the cost is £149.99 (plus VAT)
    The 'high user' situation is in the terms and conditions but not mentioned anywhere and they consistently mislead with their 'unlimited bandwidth' claims.
    £19.99 a month is a steal.
    My issue is that £19.99 a month is the package I signed for and I'd appreciate EKM delivering what they headline.
    I have had a generally 'ok' experience with them, although my personal opinion is that their sales methods are not great, their customer service is at best, average, and most of the staff have a slightly weird and defensive attitude towards customers. But, £19.99 + vat per month - I'll tolerate that.
    I'm now distinctly uneasy now I've had my 'high user' email, and I'm actively shopping for a new solution.

EKM badmouth the competition, defend their (often very strange!) actions to death, find it difficult to engage with their customers *BUT* the service is ok, reliable, but not worldbeating. The £19.99 is excellent - just don't get too busy :-)
    Hope that helps!

• Rm
      25th of Aug, 2012

I would never use EKM!

When I tried EKM, I quickly decided they were not powerful enough for my needs. I decided to use Opencart instead.

I emailed EKM to say I no longer wanted their service. They emailed me back to say I had to telephone a special number.
    To cut a long story short, when you try to leave them, they use every trick in the book to keep taking you cash.
    Its 4 months since I cancelled and they have finally agreed to stop taking my money but wont refund.

To be clear - this is a company whose services I have never used. This is a company who received an email saying I wanted to leave them. In spite of responding to this email, they continued to take my money for 4 months.

No reputable company would behave like this.
    R McKeown

• Gr
      20th of Sep, 2012

Can anyone tell me if they have ever challenged EKM to tell you if they do actually submit the sites to search engines etc.. as I clicked on the link after finishing my site ..and... nothing.. not 1 single email response from ANY search engine for verification purposes..and that is VERY unusual... I dont think the submission bit actually works and it is a scam!

• Li
      27th of Sep, 2012

I am starting to wonder if it is a scam myself Greatstuff365, I am disabled and can only work from home but I don't know a thing about websites, I contacted EKM for help and was told by them that they would design my website and perform all the SEO and launch it for me... of course for a huge price.. well huge to me, they told me all I had to do was email them the photos and write ups for the website and they would do the rest...after paying them my savings of £2800 for the web design and SEO my website after being launched for 3 months cannot be seen anywhere on site, I have contacted them on god knows how many occasions but no help from EKM at all now that they have my money they just don't want to know, I have contacted a third party for help who as performed an health check on my website F.O.C and the results of the report are terrible, all i can say is my website is very poor, so it looks as if i have lost my money and my business as i can't get any help from EKM, Any advice from anyone on what i could do next would be great!

• Co
      26th of Jul, 2013

I have been with EKM for a few years now but I am in the process of having the website redesigned for me on Wordpress, which means I will not need their £20-a-month "service". All I will need is hosting and one.com offer a FULL YEAR FREE and then only 90p (yes 90 PENCE) so it's a no-brainer. My main concern is how to transfer my website name (URL) from EKM, and to date I have had no response from 2 emails sent in the past 10 days. I am particularly concerned now that my URL is going to be held to ransom by EKM not releasing it, their customer service has never been anything to write home about and as others have said they seem to have a hard-to-describe weird attitude when you try to speak to them, almost as if you are asking stupid questions and should not be bothering them. I know it's a few years ago now but I had to laugh at fwstudio being impressed at EKM's 5, 000 customers - most of the major players have hundreds of thousands, if not millions of customers. I am quite puzzled at those who have paid EKM for months after they left, just change your card details or ask your card company to charge it back, surely anybody in business is clued up enough to not let that happen? I am not trying to insult anybody, I just find it strange that's all. I'm praying I can transfer my domain name without any problems, from what I have read here I suspect that hoping just isn't going to be enough.

• Ns
      18th of Apr, 2016

★☆☆☆☆
    “Avoid Like The Plague!”
    Written on: 19/04/2016 by KailynCardenas (1 review written)

Terrible Platform & Also Customer Service!

I paid money to get a customised site given the fact the company advertise themselves with Ebay integration.
    The Ebay integration does not work ... this is by admission of the company.
    When asked how long the fix would take (after 3 months of awaiting for this) the company failed and would not give a date for what they called a 'bug'.
    I'm sorry but waiting for 3 months is not a 'bug' but a serious flaw in the system.
    They were not willing to compensate the monthly fee whilst awaiting the fix ... their response to my email was to ask me to refer to their terms & conditions. Most unhelpful and at this stage were still unwilling to give a timescale for a fix to be put in place.
    My website was unusable for months.
    Repeated emails with no response or resolution.
    I would not recommend EKMpowershop for the product or service received.
    I am now looking into an alternative supplier to migrate my system.
    The owner of the company did eventually email to agree they could not offer the service required and agreed to assist my migration.
    To add further insult to injury is the company then sent recommendations of alternative providers (both not offering Ebay to site integration!)

The company offered to migrate my shop as I had too much IT knowledge into the flaws & bad platform provided.
    All you will get is excuses when there is a problem ... or alternatively no reply!
    The company describe problems as a 'bug' ... If you have knowledge in IT you will realise not a bug but a really cheap platform.
    The outfit is not correctly advertised and do not even sign up if you require Ebay integration.
    Upon agreement that the company could not offer the functioning platform required they offered to assist migration.
    Once again failed attempts of communication to the owner of the company & senior manager with assistant to migrate. Of this I have email proof.
    In fact have email proof of all the issues encountered with this company for years.
    When they can't assist as they do not have the knowledge ... there choice is to ignore ... not very professional!
    Not a good platform & you will receive 0% Customer Service.
    It is cheap & you get what you pay for!
    I spent money ... had a bespoke site designed (although the design was done by myself) - paid for SEO ... Still 0% customer service.
    Avoid this company like the plague.
    Ekmpowershop then took the bespoke site that I had designed before I had a chance for a new web designer to replicate ... The bespoke design was active for less than a year & paid £2000 ... Surely this is criminal behaviour & have now taken legal action against this terrible company?

• Ni
      28th of Apr, 2016

Terrible Platform & Also Customer Service! - Warning ...Don't Get a Customised Site - I Spent Money & Once We Had Issues With The Platform The Company Took It Down Before Migration !!!

The Ebay integration does not work ... this is by admission of the company.
    My website was unusable for months.
    Repeated emails with no response or resolution.
    I would not recommend EKMpowershop for the product or service received.
    I found an alternative supplier to migrate my system.

The company offered to help migrate my shop as I had too much IT knowledge into the flaws & bad platform provided - But not forthcoming!
    Not a good platform & you will receive 0% Customer Service.
    It is cheap & you get what you pay for!
    Avoid this company like the plague.
    Ekmpowershop then took the bespoke site that I had designed offline before the new web designer had a chance to replicate ... The bespoke design was active for less than a year & paid around £2000 ... Surely this is criminal behaviour & have now taken legal action against this terrible company!

• Ri
      12th of Jun, 2017

@Nicole1399 OHH my God i have the same problem with EKM I thought was just my website :@

• Ri
      12th of Jun, 2017

Did you find an good hosting alternative to migrate??