eHow / redirecting members articles

1 OH, United States Review updated:

I was a member of ehow from 10/2007 to 04/2009 I wrote and published article and was paid for views. I had about 100 articles published and some were making good money. On 04/01/2009 I tried to log into my account and received a message that said my account has been disabled. I sent them many emails asking why it was disabled, they finally emailed me back and said it was deleted for plagiarism on a article and that was all it said; didn't say which article was in question, or the chance to appeal it which is what they state in their terms of use.
They just delete the members entire account. Now the problem i have is, I am getting emails from other ehow members commenting on my articles that were supposedly deleted because they disabled my account.
When i click on the comment that was made by the ehow member about one of my articles, it redirects to an ehow editor's ehow account and my article is on their account but the words are changed a little and my images are gone. Isn't that plagiarism? and stealing!! They are taking and using other people's articles to steal the money that was earned by the person who wrote the article. If you visit ehow's forum there are many other's that this has happened to; I just read a bunch today. This is not right because we spent a lot of time writing these articles, watching them earn good money and then people who work for ehow steal them!! I hope you can help us, Thank you S. Logan

Comments

• Ne
      11th of May, 2009

eHow encourages plagiarism. I've contacted them a few times about content being copied from another website without consent. They ignore the emails.

I think eHow is a horrible website. I've heard nothing but complaints about it.

Go to "Rip-Off" and search for eHow complaints there.

There's a few!

• Ex
      10th of Jun, 2009

I had a similar situation happen. I was a member of eHow for about 6 months. One day I get an email saying that one of my articles was being investigated for plagiarism. I emailed them and admitted that I gained my information from another person's article on the web, but since the information was mainly factual, I couldn't change it up very easily. I went on to explain that I did re-organize and changed it up quite a bit just to make it work as a how to. I received an email back saying that my appeal was declined and that they would have to remove the article. The email closed, by asking me to continue writing for them. At that point my account still worked fine. About a day or 2 later, I try to log into my account and I get a message saying my account was disabled and it gave me an email address to contact them just in case there was some kind of error. Well, I emailed them and I got back a response stating that they considered plagiarism a serious thing and I was wished good luck. I emailed them back about 2 more times. I tried to explain that sometimes plagiarism isn't a black and white thing. Sometimes there is truly only one way to right factual data and my article was about factual stuff. I pointed out that most of the eHow people are not from a professional writing background and all they would have had to do was explain any issues with me one time. I also pleaded with them to consider that I spent months writing 114 very good articles. I never got anymore responses. It seemed to me as though they were blowing me off. I talked to a lawyer and he said that just because their terms of service state that they can cancel a person's account at anytime, that doesn't make it legal. I feel so emotionally let down over all this. I realize that plagiarism is a serious thing for them to be concerned with, but I think in my case they over reacted quite a bit. A little communication would have done both of us a lot better.

• Di
      16th of Aug, 2009

This Just happened to me. Stay far far away from them I worked hard for four months to have what I had on their site.

• Jc
      26th of Aug, 2009

something is fishy about this ehow.com website and im pretty sure it has to do with money... if u are making money that they can potentially be making instead of you, the easiest thing for them to do is delete your account for a lame or made up reason and keep the article and make money themselves or if nothing else, trash the whole account so they dont have to pay you for your articles.. make sense??

• Ji
      1st of Sep, 2009

My account hasn't been deleted but I'm making decent money. I keep wondering if it's too good to be true. My payment finally issued (well actually it's pending...money isn't in the bank account yet) but I noticed that the payment issue is actually 130$ less than my earnings. anyone else heard of this or know why it might happen?

• Ke
      4th of Sep, 2009

Let's be fair here.
    A lot of these complaints just aren't true.
    With all the problems that eHow does have there is no reason to make up stuff
    unless you are actually the problem.

In truth
    1. customer service is a joke
    2. they create a false sense of community in the forums that doesn't exist
    3. they don't steal articles but they also don't protect you if someone steals from you. it's up to you to protect yourself.
    4. they have always paid very well and do respond quickly to payment problems
    5. they have no tolerance for plagiarism, there is no Grey area!
    6. they make up rules as they go and don't bother to inform their writers.
    7. they delete articles sometimes for very minor offenses and don't always bother to let the author know.

In closing I have loved writing for eHow in past and all of these changes for the worst really make me sad. But I have seen no evidence that they really care, it is after all big business and writers can be replaced!

• Pe
      8th of Oct, 2009

I have made some OK money from eHow but I am suspicious of their activities. I have now had 12 of my most popular stories removed. They are mostly revolved around women's issues so I have used examples of my own experiences. eHow seem to hate this but I am talking 1000's of readers. I think they are stealing my popular subjects and getting in-house writers to write them.
    I am never allowed to complain or ask questions about my removed stories. I am just sent one of those form letters every time.
    We are not talking a lot of money but I would say they have docked about $20 a month from my earnings by taking away all my most popular articles about plastic surgery (I have had it so I showed my surgery pictures - they took that away), Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome, the mini pill, depo provera and such.
    I am a professional working newspaper journalist so I am not going to waste my time gambling with them any more. It's unfortunate because I was a really active and positive eHow member. Now I will make sure I will complain at every opportunity.

• Mi
      20th of Oct, 2009

They DO NOT respond to payment issues in a timely fashion. This site has horrible customer service, and the site managers do not respond to any emails in a timely way.

• Dr
      22nd of Oct, 2009

Dr. J.Stuart Rahrer responds:

Thank you for your outstanding article. I also appreciate the insightful input of several other gifted writers. I wrote 1 article for Ehow and have since deleted it due to the overwhelming amount of criticism by professional writers such as you.
    I have written 18 books and I am currently working on the19th and 20th at the studio in my nursing home, if you want to call it that. You may see my book titles and descriptions at Google under J. Stuart Rahrer. I am not trying to sell books or toot my horn in this group. Any way, most of them are out of print. However, I am compelled to make 2 points.

1. I think I may stop writing articles unless anyone knows if there are reputable, honest organizations who recruit writers like you instead of people with titles that appeal to members of the Mickey Mouse Club. For example: “How to make your bosom bigger”. I am certain people read this article. However, the issue is in a statement by John Steinbeck below.

2. Years ago I attended a John Steinbeck lecture. I remember specifically that he said, ”All I have as a writer is a gift and my integrity to live with”.

Thanks to you for bringing that thought back.

Dr.J.Stuart Rahrer (johnrahrer@hotmail.com)

• Da
      8th of Nov, 2009

This is extremely true about Ehow. I have written for them for over a year. In the terms of service, this company claims that if they delete your account, please read as it is taken from their posted terms of service: Under the section labeled TERMINATION OR CANCELLATION :

If your Account or access to the Site is terminated for any or no reason, you may no longer have access to the Content you posted on the Site. In such event, eHow may continue to exploit electronic or printed materials it has created, or developed specific plans to create, that contain such Content according to the terms contained in Section 5 with respect to removal or modification of Content previously posted on the Site.

As you see, they clearly state they will continue to EXPLOIT your content, thereby still making money from it.

Ehow also does not always notify any member of any problem. If they deem you did something against the rules, they will refuse you payment without any proof. You are not subject to any sort of "due process".
    Their Terms of Service also says they are not obliged to offer customer support. This says enough in my opinion to make it not worthy of any consideration. Anytime a company plainly states that they can continue to use your content after they terminate your account, and are not obliged to offer customer support, it is a red flag you will not recieve fair, professional treatment. This is why I no longer write for them and why I moved on to Examiner.com instead.

• Th
      11th of Mar, 2010

Hello, I am know as THE PREACHER and I am educating people to all of eHOWs dirty games. Lets talk a bit about those famous eHOW sweeps, shall we. Ever wonder what is really behind the madness? Yes, some are articles that are out of eHOW’s guidelines. Yes, some are poorly written. But many of these that get deleted are top earning articles. Thats correct, they are top earning articles, that have been in place for several years in many cases, only to overnight no longer fall within eHOW’s guidelines. How to hell can that be? What is really going on here?
    Glad you asked. There is gold in your deleted articles, pure gold – for eHOW. I know, how can there be gold for eHOW in deleted articles. First lets look at just what your high earning articles have accomplished. They have matured and rank high on the search engines. They have developed a following, in as far as on line articles can develop a following. They have built up comments and views. And then eHOW comes riding in on its white horse and deletes em. All that hard work and effort is gone, right?
    Don’t bet the family farm on it. EHOW wins on several fronts, and here is the secret to their dirty little game of deleting high earning articles. First, even though your articles get deleted, they are not totally gone, something very important remains behind and in eHOWs control – your URL’s. And therein is the gold, because eHOW takes your articles URL’s and redirects them to pages full of links to DS (DEMAND STUDIOS) so all your hard work and effort are now going to serve eHOW’s cause, promoting their DS articles.
    These redirects are eHOW’s free bread and butter. The DS articles are already paid for, so all traffic they redirected to those articles is extra money in eHOWs pocket. An added bonus, they are now making money off the DS article ads and not paying for your articles any longer. It’s win win all the way around. Another bonus, all your deleted articles comments. EHOW uses the strength of those comments to help drive the DS articles even higher in the search engines rankings.
    This is why eHOW is never clear as to why your articles get deleted. In many cases, there is no reason they can clearly state and point to. Oh yeah, we deleted your top earning articles so we can make a pile of money off of them – nope, don’t expect them to answer truthfully on this one. But now you know, redirects of deleted articles spells gold for eHOW.

If it still isn't clear, don't look at it as just your articles, look at the bigger picture. Ehow deletes thousands of articles at a month. Thats now thousands of articles they no longer have to make payroll on. That is huge. And every URL from every deleted article is now redirected back to a page full of DS articles that are simular to your deleted article. And these DS articles are already paid for for the most part, so another huge savings. Then there are those ads, all the money from the ad clicks, from people who went looking for your deleted article, all goes to ehow. It is a dirty game they play fueled by greed.

• Th
      11th of Mar, 2010

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water, along comes that greedy ehow shark once again. This time they are pulling off the art of the $80 scam. Say what? Sounds kind of silly, until you begin to see the entire picture.

Back a while ago ehow announced it would begin to pay out $80 per article to hand selected ehow writers. Needless to say, many became excited at the thought of making $80 per article compared to the peanuts they had been paid up intil now. So people began to ask, how can we get in on the deal. Well, don't saddle up the horse just yet. If you know anything about ehow, its that they have mastered the art of double speak. No no, we didn't mean you ehow writers, we meant DS writers who also place their articles onto ehow.

that's what we meant to say when we said ehow writers. DS writers. So many just threw up their hands and passed the whole thing off as yet one more example of ehows lack of communication.

But was it really a lack of communication, or was something else much darker taking place, something well thought out ahead of time? Glad you asked. Breaking in blogs and news stories all across the UK yesterday was stories cheering on the arrival of ehow, proclaiming that ehow pays its top writers $80 per article. Now I would like to think my mama didn't raise any fools, and you can smell this skunk a mile away. Ehow knew exactly what it was doing when it announced ehow writers would be making $80 an article, when in fact it wasn't talking about ehow writers at all. That statement was put out there so they could feed it to a news hungry media over in the UK, and the UK took the bait without as much as asking any questions at all of ehow. In bold print, ehow to pay writers $80 an article. Unbelievable, Once again ehow the esow has proven they are indeed the kings when it comes to making dimes do the work of dollars. And talk about free press.

I have news for our over- seas friends, they are about to be hit with one of the biggest scam machines out there. ehow writers do not get paid $80 per article nor will they ever get paid that much.
    Another story put it this way, some ehow writers will get paid $80 an article, while others can expect to make between $3 to $75 per article. Say what? They don't know what's about to hit them. This sow can't squeal, and there ain't enough scraps in the UK to satisfy its hunger.

Check out this news story and see how misleading ehow has been with the $80 per article scam they are now running. http://psmithjournalist.com/2010/03/exclusive-demand-media-now-accepting-uk-canadian-freelance-writers/

And here is yet another story that ran with the $80 per ehow article;

EHOW SWEEPS GIVE YOU THE CREEPS?
    Posted by THE PREACHER at 05:18 AM on March 06, 2010 Comments comments (0)

10th of Apr, 2010

I think that there is plagiarism on eHow--I just don't know to what extent. One member (a friend of mine) had her very profitable article "swept" by eHow--which means is was removed. After that, her article (word for word) was presented as eHow of the Day--even using the original ideas she used. She had written an original article with ideas that she thought up for passwords. The "new" article even used her original examples that used her relatives' names. Some people use software to scramble an article, then put it in a different form--which is a form of plagiarism because it takes someone else's ideas and words and shakes them around a little.

Let me say, that that is not what happened to my friend. It appeared that her original article was removed, and then put back in exactly as it was by someone from eHow. Apparently, they are doing it to perhaps thousands of others. Something needs to be done.

eHow is committing theft of articles and nothing is being done about it. What about a class action lawsuit--I think that there are a lot of people who would join. Clearly what they are doing is unethical and illegal. Laws can be initiated to stop this evil. I really feel that the people at eHow who are perpetuating this scam will eventually get theirs because what goes around comes around.

• Pa
      19th of May, 2011

Does anyone have a phone number??? An address? They are playing games with those of us whom they offered compenssation to for full rights of the articles. I can't log in, I get rude one-sentance replies from account managers when I email the zendesk...My paypal was closed because it was hacked, and I opened another one. Ehow says they have no choice but to send it to the closed account since that was the original on file, and they absolutly cannot send a hard check...Really? Since when does a company get to keep your money if you shut down your bank account due to fraud? There has got to be protection, right?

• Pa
      19th of May, 2011

I spelled compensation wrong because of my hard typing, but whatever! These ### are so wrong for what they are doing!

• De
      21st of Oct, 2011

Wow, did not know that ehow was ripping off people. I mainly was tired of seeing the articles pop up in a Google search because EVERY article I look at has poor, simplistic information with no real substance. I mainly search for technical topics and it is frustrating to end up at ehow. It is a waste of time. For technical howto I try to hit places like instructables.

As to them ripping people off. You reap what you sow. They will get what is coming to them. If there is money involved and you can show a pattern you should be able to nail them.

FWIW, building a website, putting up content, and maintaining it are not that technical anymore. If enough of you freelance writers really want to make a dent in ehow then create your own consortium. You could do a webring, or build a monolithic website. I am sure there are technical people who would be willing to partner. Then you could basically create your own TOS, payplan, business structure, etc. Treat people fair, only make money when your writers make money, and plan for the long term, and you will beat them into the ground.

Facebook took $1000 of borrowed funds to start. They have no idea what that community is worth now.

13th of Nov, 2011

The people who control eHow have been doing this for years. That is why I would never write again for eHow. They steal your work when you start making a little money, and they make money off of it after you are not receiving any compensation. There should be a class action lawsuit about this. However, when you sign your life away to them, you even give them the right to take your work. DS is the worst company out there. No one should write for eHow because of their practices. Start your own blog, and get your own advertising. You will make more money in the long run. Hopefully, there is some way that you can get help for this terrible practice. Perhaps, some laws should be made to police the Internet companies like DS so that they cannot do this to people
    Karma will eventually catch up with these people.
    Sorry you had to experience this with DS (as so many have), but that is their reputation. Good luck in the future.

• Bo
      14th of Feb, 2012

All I have to say is Dan richter an ehow author stole my work after it was supposed to be pulled and returned when I didn't take the buy out a while back. He knows it and by stealing my work he only concedes that he couldn't do what I an others can... Write!
    Ehow should be fully investigated by the federal government and demand media should be held accountable for not monitoring their workers. If your work has been stolen by them please let the world know