eHarmony.com / profiles

1 Merrill, MI, United States

(Be patient, I'm Irish by ancestory, and a non-fiction book writer, we don't know the meaning of a short story). You don't hear much about Christianity today but I can attest to the fact we are alive and well. 231 million in the U.S. (True, some in name only). As a Christian a thing as major as marital status is something that needs to be front and center on a profile. They never asked me my marital status and that's something that most certainly has to be part of a ''match''. eharmony claims to be a ''Christian'' dating site and I quote from the home page:

''As a single Christian, do you feel like God has someone special in mind for you but you just haven't found them yet? Founded by a Christian psychologist, eharmony is committed to helping Christian singles find love every day. And we are confident in our ability to help you, too. Our Compatibility Matching System matches Christian single men and women based on 29 dimensions of compatibility, like core values and beliefs. ''

Core values and beliefs. Okay lets look at another quote, this time from the true expert on Christian singles:

"Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her. And if she divorces her husband and marries another man, she commits adultery." Mark 10:2-12

"Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery, and the man who marries a divorced woman commits adultery.'' Luke 16:18

'' A woman is bound to her husband as long as he lives. But if her husband dies, she is free to marry anyone she wishes, but he must belong to the Lord.'' 1 Corinthians 7:39

''a married woman is bound to her husband as long as he is alive, but if her husband dies, she is released from the law that binds her to him. So then, if she has sexual relations with another man while her husband is still alive, she is called an adulteress. But if her husband dies, she is released from that law and is not an adulteress if she marries another man.''

''The man who hates and divorces his wife, " says the LORD, the God of Israel, "does violence to the one he should protect, " says the LORD Almighty. So be on your guard, and do not be unfaithful.'' Malachi 2:16

These a few quotes in the big book of Christian law on marriage, divorce, remarriage and, yes, dating. Just as the state law says we cannot drive a car legally unless we know how to drive a car and have a license it is the law we must follow it because it protects us from harm-- regardless of our personal belief that a 5 yr old should be allowed to drive a car. I'm just mainline Christian. I don't go door to door selling weird religious propaganda and I have no strange cult believes. I don't watch hell and brimstone preachers on TV (bogus). But being Christian means following the Word of God and the teachings of Christ. A Christian woman (or man) does not have to stay with someone who abuses them, we can separate but that's all. Marriage is sacred and God believes in fixing what is broken not throwing a marriage away. So we have a responsibility to keep our marriages happy, healthy, and satisfying. Yes, we could technically just date a divorced man if there's no romance--just have coffee and talk. But when dating we must protect ourselves from taking the chance of falling in love with someone we have no future with and creating an emotionally devastating situation. And we must choose our spouses well, our futures and lives depend on it. We need to know upfront if a man or woman is divorced so we can politely pass by his or her profile. Am I going to message every man on the list to ask if he's widowed or what the deal is? No I'm going to get fed up and leave.

I respect all the various denominations. We all have to decide to be true to our faith or be hypocrites (noun. a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs). Being Christian means following the Word of God and the teachings of Christ and that's the same for all Christians. Like many people who call themselves followers of Christ but don't follow Christ, eharmony doesn't either. They obviously call themselves Christian--in name only--to win the Christian market share and it's all about money. But my complaint is we need to know upfront the marital status on the profiles. If you've read this far thank you very much for letting me have my ''time in court'' sort to speak.

Ki