eHarmony / unauthorized renewals

1 Pasadena, CA, United States Review updated:

I signed up for a 6 month membership. Soon after signing up I stopped using the service and never signed onto the website (for personal reasons).
When the 6 months was over I assumed I would be finished. But I received a notice that they had sucked out another 6 month payment unknown to me and without my permission. After complaining to eharmony they refuse to refund the unauthorized withdrawal from my account.
In my opinion this is a blatant theft of money.

Kh

Comments

• E0
      25th of Mar, 2009

I had the same experience. I called their customer service after they automatically renewed my membership and asked them to cancel it and refund the money. They did refund the money and credited my credit card, however they offered me an extended period for a much lower price, with a 7-days cancellation policy. I called on the 6th day to cancel, but the customer service representative told me that I only had 3 days to cancel, instead of 7. I will now have to dispute this matter with "the office of the president" of eHarmony. They said that the calls to the customer service center are recorded and they will be able to verify whether I was verbally told about the 7-days cancellation policy (which I am sure I was because I asked the person twice about it and wrote it down). In the meantime I have called my credit card company and disputed the charges through them.

Also, be careful about the "automatic renewal" feature. It is totally invisible in your account settings. You have to click on "cancel subscription" and go through several screens before you get to the point where you can turn it off. If you make a wrong move you could cancel your subscription all together instantaneously which would not give you a refund.

Moreover, in the first call to the customer service center they told me that the number of matches I was receiving was basically zero because there is a setting that turns off matching which is not accessible from your account, but it's set by eharmony itself. This was set to OFF for my account (ie no matching), in spite of my account accessible setting "matching" field being ON. They overrode my settings based on who knows what obscure criteria.
    I cannot confirm this, it was just what they told me (maybe the customer service person was mistaken), but wanted to share it, in case somebody else has the same experience.

• Ka
      24th of Mar, 2010

I've had exactly the same experience!
    I signed up to Eharmony, in January 2009, and paid a one off yearly fee (£100 and odd something) and I know for a fact I didn't sign up for a monthly direct debit as i paid a yearly fee. By March 2009, I realised that the dating service was flawed and appeared to have very few members (in the UK), so I cancelled everything to do with them. It was becoming depressing logging in to see who I'd been matched up with.
    On 8 March 2010, having totally forgotten the whole horrible experience I opened my credit card statement to see that Eharmony had taken £11.95 out of my account.

They said they would return my £11.95 in 7 to 10 days and gave me a confirmation number for the transaction, so hopefully that will be the end of it.

It took approximately 30 minutes of persistence and shouting to get my money back, something I really shouldn't have to do if a supposedly reputable company has stolen money from me.

This is how the phone conversation went:
    Eharmony: How are you enjoying our service?
    Me: I'm not, I don't use the service, but you've taken money out of my credit card account which I didn't authorise.
    Eharmony: I'm sorry to hear that, I'll just look up your details. I notice that when you signed up and paid for your yearly subscription, there was a box at the top, that you could have unchecked to say you didn't want sign up for our automatic monthly renewal. You did not uncheck the box, therefore, we automatically took a one month renewal fee.
    Me: But I didn't agree to that. I paid a yearly fee because I didn't want monthly renewals of any sort. I know for a fact I didn't want that. I can read and know how to use the internet, therefore I'd say the box was hidden away or designed to deliberately confuse or deceive the user.
    Eharmony: We cannot refund you because you agreed to the monthly renewal via the check box.
    Me: Can you go and speak to your supervisor because I'm not getting off the phone until I get my money back.
    Eharmony: Okay, please hold. We can refund you half the amount, which is £5.92.
    Me: Why? I want the full £11.95 back, it's about the principle.
    Eharmony: We cannot do that, but we can offer you one month's free use of our service.
    Me: I don't want the service, it's rubbish.
    Eharmony: I'm sorry to hear that, perhaps you might meet the person you're looking for ...
    Me: I am not getting off this phone until I get my £11.95. Furthermore, I notice there are many case of a similar nature on the internet, so this unauthorised access of funds appears to be some sort of scam. If you don't sort this out now, I will get my credit card company to do so for me.
    Eharmony: Just give me a moment, I need to speak to my supervisor. We can give you a full refund of £11.95.
    Me: Thank you.
    Eharmony: The money will go back into your credit card account in 7 to 10 days, here's your confirmation number.

The end. That is the edited version of the conversation; it was littered with Eharmony telling me how wonderful the service was etc, and not focussing on getting me a refund. I had to keep asking her to focus on the reason why I'd called.

Anyway, I hope this transcript helps others get their money back.

Happy Dating too.