Educational Funding Company / I haven't even signed a contract....

Wilmington, DE, US Review updated:

I started Kick Boxing Classes about 6 weeks ago - I did try twice a week for two weeks before I decided that I liked it.
At this point I was asking for pricing to sign up - one of the instructors said it would be $100 per month with a 30 day cancellation. For my next class I brought in a check and gave it to him.
Friday of last week I received a letter from EFC that they will be taking the amount out of my account every month now ???
I did try calling them right away on Friday (left message) as well as Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday... well I was getting edgy. I finally spoke with one of the supervisors "Raj" - he said he cant see anything in the system that I even called...I told him I NEVER signed a contract yet and how they get my information...he told me today at 1pm that he will retieve the information from my school and will email it to me by tomorrow - ha - that piece of document I want to see...
Second - I am trying to contact the responsible person at my school which I found out that he is travelling this week so no luck here.
After I read so many complaints about EFC I am worried actually... I have contacted my bank also.

Comments

• Ji
      Apr 22, 2011
    Educational Funding Company - Horrible Customer Service

Run for the hills if you sign a contract with these people no matter how long it is. I'be been trying to cancel, early buyout, and just making sure I don't auto renew for weeks. They simply cannot answer any direct question. It boarder line humerous. They'll get someone immediatly when you call but they just make excuses every time. Here's a brief list of what you'll here; We'll call you back, Fax us (never answers), no no the fax works now, we don't have an email (yes they do), We never got your email..please fax your letter, can you call back in 2 hours, let us call you back, and many more... I'm not even kidding. No matter how much you may like your school refuse to sign with these people. It's companies like this that scare people away from contracts. I left another school who used ASF and it was night and day much better service. I've still yet to recieve any anwser or response after calling over 15 times.

• Ka
      May 13, 2011

I worked for the company briefly about 20 years ago. I quit because I couldn't live with myself after seeing how they did business. It is absolute fraud. If I had a contract with them using EFT, I would close that bank account and ignore their calls. In fact, I would tell them to sue me for the balance. They won't. The contract is fraudulent and any decent lawyer would be able to defend the suit easilly and may even be able to counterclaim from fraudulent inducement, etc.

When I worked there (as a college student), they actually used the letterhead of a 90 year old lawyer in Baltimore and just inserted different people's names into the same threatening letter. Fast forward 20 years and I am now a lawyer myself and KNOW that such a practice is legally unethical (which would likely cause the "lawyer" to be disbarred) and possibly illegal under MD statutes (I am in a different state so I can't say for sure). All I know is that unless something there has drastically changed (and from the looks of the complaints online, it doesn't appear so), I would ignore them, tell them to go to hell, and change your bank account so you don't have to worry about them.

Even if they did sue you - which I believe is highly unlikely - they would have to spend far more to sue you then your rediculous contract is worth. Good luck to all of you.

I always said that when I got out of law school I would contact the MD Attorney General about this fraud, but I never got around to it. I've thought about it over the years. Now I am going to tell everyone I know about this. It is really outragous and they take advantage of people who really can't afford it. I quit because my job was to get poor people to pay their karate school contract that their kid was no longer using instead of paying for their food, gas or rent. Since I see that its the same owners - the old man and his 2 sons - as when I worked there, I'm sure nothing has changed.