eBay / Paypal / selling on ebay & using paypal services? heed my warning

Before you consider selling your product on Ebay and using their PayPal service please read this!

Ebay and PayPal are one! When you list an item to sell on Ebay you are practically " forced" to set up a PayPal account. Read all PayPal agreements!
When you list your item Ebay makes money up front regardless if your item sells or not. Ebay makes money when the sale is made. Now the buyer sends the money to your PayPal account. PayPal can take a percentage too! You need to add all of these fees up before you list or you may end up in the red!

If you decide it is worth it (there are several other auction sites that are better than Ebay!) consider this.

My story: I sign up as a seller. I type in my .com seller name. NOPE. I can't do THAT! It is a violation of Ebay's policy. Oh well. I enter another seller name. I decide to sell some first edition books signed by the authors. I figure in all the various fees and add them in and list the books.

I decide to look at other Ebay sellers who sell the same type products. Low and Behold I find a major book seller who has a .com name. In addition he has sponsered links that link him to the web for other type products for sale. He is not only able to direct buyers to his own web site, he is an affiliate marketer on Ebay. I think about how great this is! I'll do it to.

BUT I CAN'T. It's against Ebay policies. What? I question why this seller is allowed these priviledges and I'm told if I ask again my e-mails will be TRASHED & NOT ANSWERED!

A few MINUTES later I get an e-mail from PayPal and my account is frozen due to suspicious high risk conduct! I can't get my money. I have $1400 in the account and I can't get it out, HOWEVER I AM ALLOWED TO DEPOSIT MONEY INTO THE ACCOUNT!! Can you believe it? I have all of the documentation. Any attorneys interested? Please post a response.

As of today I still can't get my money.

In closing. The website that sells and buys books, www.flatsigned.com, bought a book from me just prior to all of this. I had a book listed on Ebay and he was high bidder. I sent the book to him. He declared it fake. I refunded his money and asked him to return the book. He still has the book!! Ebay and PayPal will not help me get the book back. The buyer said if I e-mail him again (I e-mailed him twice) he will file harrassment charges.

Ebay and PayPal do not adhere to their policies. They DO NOT protect buyers! They are unfair to sellers! Ebay's seller fees are outrageous. BEWARE!

A  1st of Feb, 2009 by
Oh God I agree! I sold an X-Box one Ebay, the buyer "claimed" he never got it and demanded a refund. I had documentation that he picked up the item, but I guess that wasn't good enough for PayPal. They refunded his money and then made ME pay THEM back. ### PayPal and Ebay.
A  7th of Aug, 2009 by
I signed up to ebay about a month ago, and was subject to and experienced the Ebay/Paypal Monopoly first hand. I did not want to use Paypal to accept payments as I already have my own merchant account with First Data and they are half the price of Paypal. When listing my first item, I scrolled to the part where it asked how I would like to be paid. I un-checked Paypal, and checked credit card. On the next screen it said that in order to accept credit cards I had to fax a copy of my merchant account invoice to them to prove to them that I can support this method of payment. I faxed them the necessary documents, and the games began. 2 days went by and no message from them about what was going on. Then I called them and was asked why I did not want to use paypal, and that it is the preferred payment of ebay. I explained to them my situation, and they said they would look into the situation, and they would get back to my via email. I waited another 2 days, and nothing. I called them again, and they brought me to the listing page, and they walked me through and told me to click Paypal for payments accepted, and I told them I did not want to accept Paypal, and they were dumbfounded and did not know what to do. They knew nothing about how to integrate my merchant account. They told me I have to wait for T&S to contact me. The next morning I called them again, and was once again told to just use Paypal and recieved a pitch on how they were safe and secure. I asked to speak to a manager, and they told me the manager was not available. I then called again and they finally got to the bottom of things. I listed a couple of items, and after the first one ended, the buyer told me there was no way for him to pay. I called ebay again and they told me there was a "Pay Now" button in the email that was automatically sent to them after the auction ended. The buyer told me there was nothing there. I got this same response from every winning bidder that day. I called ebay and they once again told me that I should accept Paypal for payments until they get the situation fixed. I told them I would not pay for the listing fees so far and they told me I have to pay them, and that it is like listing an ad in the paper and the listing fees are non-refundable. The next day they told me that they fixed the problem, and then I listed a couple items, and everything seemed to be good, until the first auction was down to the last minute. The account was blocked by Paypal, and I was informed that they needed more information on my Paypal account in order for the account suspension to be lifted. I called ebay and they told me the block was from Paypal. I called Paypal and they asked for my SS# and receipts for the items I was selling. I told them I never opened a Paypal account, and they told me regardless, they would still need the information in order to lift the suspension, and until then, the account would remain blocked. I called Ebay and they told me there was in fact a Paypal account linked to my ebay account and that there was nothing they could do. Now, I NEVER opened a Paypal account nor did I link it to my ebay account. To me, this is yet another shady desperate attempt by Ebay to force new members that do not know any better to use Paypal to accept Paypal so they can make money from every angle. When I call them and tell them this whole scenario, they ask me if there is anything they can help me with, otherwise the phone call will be disconnected. They no longer respond to my email regarding this and they told me that if I keep contacting them through ebay live chat that they would bring up charges for Harassment. What a way to run a company. I also notice that when you post ANY negative comments about ebay that are valid in the ebay forums, the comments are removed and you are banned from posting in their forums. They are trying to cover up anything negative about their company, but truth be told..., check out Ebay and Paypal on the Better Business Bureau and see all the complaints they have since January. There are well over 10, 000 of them. Ebay soon will be a thing of the past and they will continue to lose thousands of members a week to Amazon, just like me.
N  14th of Jun, 2010 by
Paypal is a NIGHTMARE to deal with!!! I, too, have had many of the same problems listed above. After years of dealing with them, they decided one of my products (which is perfectly legal!!!) 'violated their rules'. They told me to remove Paypal as a payment option, which I did. I removed ALL of the links from my eBay auctions. They reinstated me.

Then, a couple of days later I get an email saying I am yet again suspended. Turns out two buyers managed to pay via Paypal. I took a look at the auction link. Nope. No Paypal as payment option. I looked at the invoice. Lo and Behold, there it was. EBay (I'm assuming. Or Paypal...) had put Paypal as an option to pay!!! Even after I had physically gone through each and every listing to remove them and add another method!

I contacted Paypal about it, but they could care less. They said I was at fault!!! That I 'should have reversed the payment or refused it." WTF!?!? I didn't even KNOW they had gone through until AFTER they froze my account, which didn't allow me to do ANYTHING with it! I wrote them again. I called, had the rep look at the listing. (One guy even commented I had a line on there that said "DO NOT PAY WITH PAYPAL!") They still didn't care. What a bunch of jerks!!!

THEN, I requested my money to be mailed to me. That was a nightmare, too. Again, had to jump through all their hoops. Emails sent back to me were returned with an answer, but obviously they hadn't even read my emails. I finally wrote them back a final time, asking if they even read the emails they get. A final phone call to them did get action and they sent me my check, less, of course, their $1.50 'processing fee'. I've read about others that have had Paypal do the same to them and hold thousands of dollars for 180 days, too!

eBay Logo eBay