eBay / asks for social security number

1 CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 800-717-3229

Ebay/PayPal have a new scam now. We had an account with both and were actively selling for several months. We had a perfect 100% feedback rating. Suddenly and without warning eBay and PayPal suspended our accounts. eBay cancelled all of our auctions and had the nerve to demand payment for the fees too! Since the auction info is wiped out we have no idea what the correct fees should even be. They claimed the suspension was due to "issues" with our Paypal account and we needed to resolve them first. We went to our PayPal account and it said that there had been "suspicous activity". ????? No explaination. It asked for three things. A. verify our phone number, which we did. Fine. B. Verify that we had shipped a particular customers item. We researched the item and the customer had only paid for it twelve minutes before Ebay suspended our account! How fast do they expect us to be! And this on a Sunday too! C. Now the last one is a real doosey. They want my SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER ! What are they nuts! There is NO reason in the world they need that! They claim it's to verify my identity. What? The only way they could verify that is to take my number and do a credit check, and I never authorized them to do that nor will I. I will be filing suit in small claims court today. It will cost them at least for an attorney to come to court and defend them. I will also let everyone I know what they are trying to do to decent working people. It's wrong and the only way to stop them is to expose them. So pass the word, tell all your friends what Ebay and PayPal are all about.

Comments

• Th
      7th of Feb, 2009

The registration process for ebay and paypal both do not at any point for any reason include your SSN.Gaining knowledge of the same would not help identify you to them at all.
    Either you were talking to scamsters or youve made it up.

• Ba
      7th of Aug, 2009

Before I post my usual post here, I would like to correct "The dude that hates ebay". You are wrong. Paypal ALWAYS Asks for your SS# after the account has been open for a little while. It has happened to me. They plan on soon reporting all income to paypal accounts to the IRS. Trust me, I know. Now for my usual post about my experience with Ebay and Paypal and their scams and monopolies:

I signed up to ebay about a month ago, and was subject to and experienced the Ebay/Paypal Monopoly first hand. I did not want to use Paypal to accept payments as I already have my own merchant account with First Data and they are half the price of Paypal. When listing my first item, I scrolled to the part where it asked how I would like to be paid. I un-checked Paypal, and checked credit card. On the next screen it said that in order to accept credit cards I had to fax a copy of my merchant account invoice to them to prove to them that I can support this method of payment. I faxed them the necessary documents, and the games began. 2 days went by and no message from them about what was going on. Then I called them and was asked why I did not want to use paypal, and that it is the preferred payment of ebay. I explained to them my situation, and they said they would look into the situation, and they would get back to my via email. I waited another 2 days, and nothing. I called them again, and they brought me to the listing page, and they walked me through and told me to click Paypal for payments accepted, and I told them I did not want to accept Paypal, and they were dumbfounded and did not know what to do. They knew nothing about how to integrate my merchant account. They told me I have to wait for T&S to contact me. The next morning I called them again, and was once again told to just use Paypal and recieved a pitch on how they were safe and secure. I asked to speak to a manager, and they told me the manager was not available. I then called again and they finally got to the bottom of things. I listed a couple of items, and after the first one ended, the buyer told me there was no way for him to pay. I called ebay again and they told me there was a "Pay Now" button in the email that was automatically sent to them after the auction ended. The buyer told me there was nothing there. I got this same response from every winning bidder that day. I called ebay and they once again told me that I should accept Paypal for payments until they get the situation fixed. I told them I would not pay for the listing fees so far and they told me I have to pay them, and that it is like listing an ad in the paper and the listing fees are non-refundable. The next day they told me that they fixed the problem, and then I listed a couple items, and everything seemed to be good, until the first auction was down to the last minute. The account was blocked by Paypal, and I was informed that they needed more information on my Paypal account in order for the account suspension to be lifted. I called ebay and they told me the block was from Paypal. I called Paypal and they asked for my SS# and receipts for the items I was selling. I told them I never opened a Paypal account, and they told me regardless, they would still need the information in order to lift the suspension, and until then, the account would remain blocked. I called Ebay and they told me there was in fact a Paypal account linked to my ebay account and that there was nothing they could do. Now, I NEVER opened a Paypal account nor did I link it to my ebay account. To me, this is yet another shady desperate attempt by Ebay to force new members that do not know any better to use Paypal to accept Paypal so they can make money from every angle. When I call them and tell them this whole scenario, they ask me if there is anything they can help me with, otherwise the phone call will be disconnected. They no longer respond to my email regarding this and they told me that if I keep contacting them through ebay live chat that they would bring up charges for Harassment. What a way to run a company. I also notice that when you post ANY negative comments about ebay that are valid in the ebay forums, the comments are removed and you are banned from posting in their forums. They are trying to cover up anything negative about their company, but truth be told..., check out Ebay and Paypal on the Better Business Bureau and see all the complaints they have since January. There are well over 10, 000 of them. Ebay soon will be a thing of the past and they will continue to lose thousands of members a week to Amazon, just like me.