Duke Energyscam

K Jun 07, 2014 Review updated:

Buyer Beware ! Purchased every residential Electrical Protection plan they offer a few years ago and pay each month. Upon having a Samsung 55" Flat screen take on a surge they disputed the claim due to I didn't purchase 'THEIR' surge protectors. I told the claims agent that they didn't advise me that I had to purchase their protectors or I would have. After all what's the point of paying on a plan which wouldn't be valid. So i asked the lady to please review the phone conversation they recorded on the day I ordered the service so they could hear their employee NEVER advised me I had to purchase their protectors nor did she even offer to sell them to me. They said they couldn't do that. Very disappointing when a large company starts "Scamming" their customers only to increase profits. We just had our new Water Softener take on a surge which burned out the motor. The repair man stated so on the invoice. I'm curious how this claim will go on Monday morning.

• D
      Jun 07, 2014

This is a very interesting post. You state a valid argument here; I would like to hear the outcome. Keep us updated, please. Did they send you a hard copy of the contract?

• D
      Jun 07, 2014

Aha! Upon further review, Duke Energy's surge protector is installed on the meter, not on individual outlets. The entire house is protected; you don't buy individual surge protectors for outlets. Somebody's lying.

• J
      Jan 23, 2017

I can better than that. I have been paying $8.00 a month for over 5 years now to Duke Energy. Recently had about 3 power outages which lasted over 3 hours due to equipment failure. The last outage was this past weekend. the As a result my stove is messed up and they are now refusing to fix it. The surge protection was supposed to take care of your inside equipment if anything happens.. So why I am paying these people $8.00 a month? This is hogwash... I am done- will take my chances