Duke Energy / duke energy: the most horrible power company ever

Clearwater, FL, United States

Duke Energy is the worst company I have ever dealt with. They have repeatedly screwed me left and right. I called several weeks before I moved (March 2017) to Clearwater to make sure service would be on in my new home. They told me power would be on four days before my official closing date, as I requested, since I was given permission to move my things in beforehand. Then they refused to turn it on until two days after I moved. Not only did I have to move in the dark with only the light of a cell phone, live in the swealtering heat of Florida with no air conditioning, not have the ability to shower or cook, and have to utilize the bathroom facilities by flashlight, I lost all of the food in my side by side refrigerator and all the food in my full stand alone freezer. When I tried to find out why power was not started when they said it would be, they blamed me and refused to even apologize or turn it on. I called several times a day every day, even asking to speak to supervisors, until I finally had power, SIX days after it was supposed to be turned on. My garage still reeks of rotting food! I was out several thousand dollars and all I got was rude attitude.

Now, 2 1/2 months later, they have screwed me again. I called to report a power outage when my power went out and they told me they disconnected service and again gave me nothing but attitude. I most likely will again lose all the food in my refrigerator and stand alone freezer, which I just replaced! (Including $520 in food I bought literally 24 hours ago). Plus, yet again I'm in the heat of Florida with no air conditioning and utilizing the facilities by flashlight. I have never had such issues or rudeness by any other company in my entire life. We NEED power options in Florida like are available in other states. At this point I'd chose Bob's Bait, Tackle, and Power over worthless Duke. This company is a sham, a fraud, absolutely horrible, terrible to deal with, will screw you every single chance they get, and should be shut down, fined, and forced to issue apologies to its customers.

Note to any solar panel dealers - you would make a killing by walking up and down the residential streets of any area forced to put up with the total incompetency of Duke Energy.

Du