DSL Extreme / They have charged my bank account $253.69

I moved in mid April, 2009, and went to dslextreme.com to move my service from my old address. Website said that their service was available at my new address. When I called for further information, I was told that they couldn't give me service at my new address and that I had to call Verizon. Didn't want to call Verizon - I hate Verizon. They told me that was my only option. Called Verizon, they confirmed that I couldn't get DSL at my new address because prior occupants had Fios installed. Signed up with Verizon since DSL extreme didn't offer fiber optic. Called DSL Extreme back to let them know that I did what they recommended. I was then told that since I canceled my contract with them, I had to pay the contract! Seriously?? I wanted their service - they said they couldn't provide service. Didn't they cancel the contract?? Now they have charged my bank account $253.69. They keep insisting that I canceled the contract. I don't think so!

Comments

• Kr
      12th of Mar, 2010

I am actually going through a very similar thing with dslExtreme right now. I pre-qualified at my new address and signed up for 3000/512Kbps plan.
    Speeds were terrible my first day 0.01mbs.
    I called customer support and they said they would look into it. 15 minutes later I had no service at all. This has been like this for a week now. They had sent a Verizon rep to check the line when I started my service and I receive confirmation that all was good.
    They sent another Verizon rep out yesterday and he explained I was to far from the Verizon station to get service.
    Called dslExtreme to cancel the order as they can't provide service to me and they are charging me the $250 cancellation fee.

They explained it's part of their terms of service. They only agree to possibly provide access upon placing your order.
    They have given me the options:
    1. Pay the $250 cancellation fee
    2. Downgrade my service (dial up - A $50 fee to downgrade and $9.95 a month annual contract = $170 + the original months fee for DSL service)
    3. Let my contract run it's course (Paying the monthly High speed dsl fee for the year), have no service through them and use a different company.

Either way I look at it I am out $250 for 1 days service at 0.01mbs

This is the worst business I have ever dealt with. Not the worst internet service company, but the worst company in any kind of business.

Very unhappy and dissatisfied.
    K Ratcliffe
    Marina Del Rey, California

• Do
      24th of Aug, 2010

I can't believe someone has not filed a class action lawsuit against this company. I highly suggest anyone having problems to file a complaint with the better business bureau

• Fe
      7th of Sep, 2010

Even AFTER I received an email assuring me that "I was right all along" and the credit was made to my account and my account was CLOSED...dsl extreme had the gaul to send me to collections? Why?, you might ask, as did I? Well it would seem they credited my bank twice for the amount they already charged me. Not once, but twice they credited me! How is this MY FAULT?

• Fe
      7th of Sep, 2010

They made an attempt to charge me an early cancellation fee of $200.00 for a service I didn't order. I told them they could take me to court for the final amount ($50.00) They have been wrong every step of the way...you say class-action? I say, let me in...I have all the emails and correspondence to back my story!

• Tu
      21st of Apr, 2011

I have had DSL Extreme since June of 2010. Since that time periodically I have no service for days at a time. This month, April 2011, I have had no service. I asked to cancel my contract and was told I had to pay $250 for breaking the contract. Who's breaking the contract? I asked. DSL Extreme for not providing me the service I had been paying for, I told the person in the Philippines who was purportedly providing me customer service . They would not transfer me to a supervisor and so I decided to pay off the balance of the contract and be done with them. I was told I couldn't do that without paying the $250 penalty. At this point these ludicrous statements coming from the billing person just proved to me that they knew nothing about the responsibilities of the parties to a contract. As I said, I paid off the contract and then filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. They are very responsive to consumer complaints and I suggest that anyone with a problem with DSL Extreme contact them online and file a complaint. I am just crossing my fingers and hoping these underhanded idiots don't fleece me for the $250 cancellation fee. With their level of intelligence and lack of scruples, I wouldn't be surprised.

• Yv
      16th of Jun, 2011

A year ago i ordered DSL Extreme SVC for my home . I originally had United Artists{SoCal} Then Aldephia was pick up by Time Warner, I heard that DSL Extreme was the best. :( No. 1 there are no TECHs ON SITE, you the customer must do it all ! The Tech walked me through every step via telephone and determine It could not be installed he would cancell my order and I could return the emodem.Sorry, No problem. Wrong? for six months they withdrew funds from our checking account. through direct payment via Bank of America. I explained I was currently on T.W. Cable and they sent me a second modem and and we took it back and finally after 7 month theyy stopped.

• K4
      25th of Jul, 2011

Already files a complaint with BBB. I started getting billed when they were NOT AUTHORIZED TO TURN ON SERVICE. I was very specific about this because I needed a dry loop and had to wait for Verizon to do it, which they never did. A lady named Monique Green took my information, assured me that she would wait for my call. All of a sudden, after 20 calls (no, not an exaggeration!) they turned on my account and started bill slamming me by mail and email. Every call would end up with "We are sorry Mr. S., it was a mistake. Please disregard the bill. This month I got a $400 and all of a sudden, they've changed their tune, saying, "You authorized the service and you have to pay." DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM. You have been warned. Call center is in the Philippines. Good luck getting things resolved. See you in court DSL Extreme AKA - IKANO COMMUNICATIONS, INC.

• Ph
      17th of Aug, 2011

I switched from AT&T DSL to DSL Extreme after my 1st contract is up. It turns out a huge mistake for leaving the average ISP to the worst of it kind. I ordered on Sunday online and get email confirmation of activation day on Wed. I spent endless hours from Wed to Friday on the phone with 2nd level tech support to resolve the internet connection problem. We went through the same procedures to shut down the PC, Laptop…and cycle the modem you can name it all. 6 different calls to six different Tech Supports still give no hope. I also have to take Friday off in order to talk the support in Philippine. If I call during after 5PM then they will make excuse that AT&T tech support is not on call to fix the line. In the other word they have no clue what to do with the issue I have. I have to get connection to internet to provide 24/7 support my work. I cannot just drive to work to resolve any DBA call after hour. I decide to cancel the signup and shop elsewhere for broadband. Comcast did get me online on Saturday. Wow, Under 24hr and I back online with Cable modem. Now I found out DSLE bill me $250 for ETF. Is this really legal to do in this country? How can they charge custom for a service and cannot provide the service? We are better have a class-action suit against this ###. STAY AWAY from DSLExtreme if you can. Or any companies do not have a grace period for cancel a contract.