Drive Time / Scam Company

1 FL, United States Review updated:

We came to Florida from Maryland. Had only been here a couple of months. Was worried about being scammed, but felt I was just over reacting due to being from a more rural area. There everybody knowns everybody so if you're not reputable, you don't survive. Drive Time was was recommended by another car dealership. Salesman friendly, won our trust. I explained that we just came off a bankruptcy and didn't want to get in over our heads so we needed a car with a payment under $200. He said "no problem. Anything on the lot under $400." There were a lot of nice cars, but this car was for work purposes for my husband and we wanted an older car with no frills-crank, no cruise, etc. We found one, but the saleman kept wanting us to get a newer, nicer, fully loaded car. I kept saying "we can't afford it. I need something with a payment under $200.00 per month. We found a 2002 hyundai, crank windows, no cruise, etc. I asked why the price was so high, about 12000.00 on a car that nada listed for around $[protected], and the salesman said "Oh that's not really what you pay. It will all be explained." ok we said. After all they are the professionals. I don't know everything about eveything. They have to be laws that protect the consumer. Drivetime completed the deal with us in the evening when few people were around and they were about ready to close-8:55pm. They spent about 5 minutes reviewing paperwork and we were out of there. On the way home, something bothered me. While reviewing the paperwork, the man quickly said the payment was $196.38 bi-weekly. There was a lot of paperwork to go through and they were trying to hurry so they could close, so I chalked it up to just a mistake in wording. I thought he just misspoke and what he really meant was monthly. I thought this because of him hurrying through things and also because I am over 50 years old and have bought other cars and have never bought a car where you make a bi-weekly payment. So I knew he misspoke or I missheard. At home I looked at the paperwork more closely. It WAS $196.38 bi-weekly. I flipped, but what could I do. I signed a paper saying I would pay for it and I traded in my van, my only other means of transportation. I felt I was stuck. I tried making the payments. I was late a couple of time and within 1 day of being late I would receive a call threatening repossession. Then after 3 months of buying the car it woudn't start. We went to the dealership. First they said they would replace the battery. Then they said no because maybe we left the lights on and caused the battery to die. If that were the case, the battery could be recharged. Then they said buy a battery and they would pay for it. Then they said no they wouldn't. This battery was totally dead. We had it checked at an autozone where we finally had to go buy a new battery. Next the rear defroster stopped working. Drivetime wouldn't pay for that because the warranty didn't cover replacing windows. Then the car wouldn't take gas right. While pumping, you'd get a few cents of gas in and then the pump would shut off like the car was full. It took forever to fill the gas tank. Each time we went back to Drivetime and got the same response. Oh once again they told us to get the gas problem fixed and they would pay, we said forget it. We didn't have the money and we didn't trust them to pay us back. During this time my husband's hours at work became less and less. Rather than risk missing payments, we decided to just give the car back and call it even. The car was collateral against the loan and since we could no longer afford to make payments on the loan, we wanted to save our credit by giving the collateral back. We took the car back, explained that even though we were quite explicit about what we could afford, less than $200 per month payment, what we ended up with was a car that was costing $400 per month and some months close to $600 per month and how we just couldn't continue to make payments on the car. We also reviewed the number of things wrong with the car and how we had not received any help from Drivetime with those problems. Now after all our efforts to keep our credit under control, we are facing bad credit due to Drivetime having reported us to the credit bureau for non-payment on the loan even though we gave back the car back within 5 months of purchase. I don't understand how they can have their collateral back AND report us for bad credit. Count us in on any legal action against Drivetime. And can anyone tell me how to get this off my credit.

Comments

• Pi
      28th of Apr, 2009

To all the ppl Drivetime has affected,

Take a look at these websites:

Carmax has just filed a major lawsuit on Drivetime because of their business practices. This is very likely going to put them out of business! I am an ex employee of 4 yrs and know first hand that they don't have a leg to stand on. This will most likely be the end of the choas. Just thought that would make the day of alot of ppl out there.

~Ex DT Employee
    Atl, Ga

• As
      17th of Jun, 2009

PLEASE LET ME INONTHE LAWSUIT ILL GO ANYWHERE TO GET THESE ###..RIP OFF SORRY NOGOOD SELLING BROKEN DOWN PIECES OF JUNK

24th of Dec, 2009

I BOUGHT A CAR AT DRIVETIME IN ONTARIO CALIFORNI. I BOUGHT A2006 PT CRUISER. AFTER 3 MONTHS OF HAVING THE CAR THE AIR CONDITIONER WENT OUT. SHAWN SOLD ME THIS CAR. I TOLD THEM I WOULD BE CHANGING JOBS. SO THEY SET MY PAYMENTS TO PAY EVERY TWO WEEKS ACCORDING TO MY FIRST JOB . THEN I SWITCHED JOBS AND THE DATES CHANGED. THEY WANTED ME TO PAY 35 DOLLARS TO CHANGE THE DATES AND RE-SIGN A CONTRACT BECAUSE HE SAID BY THE WEEKS THE PAYMENTS FALL THIS WOULD MAKE MY CAR NOTE HIGHER. SO I TOLD THEN IM NOT PAYING NOTHING.THE GIRL SAID WELL YOU SIGNED THE CONTRAT SHOWING THE DATES. NOW MY CAR HAS INCORRECT SENSORS AND DOESNT DRIVE OVER 35 MILES AND JERKS. THEY SAID THEY WOULD FIX IT AND THAT THEY HAD SENT AN ORDER TOO THE CAR REPAIRED . I TOOK OFF OF WORK TO HAVE MY CAR FIXED. THEN WHEN I GOT TO THE CAR PLACE THEY SAID DRIVETIME IS KNOW FOR THIS. THE GUY TOLD ME THAT THEY DIDNT RECIEVE ANYTHING FROM DRIVETIME.THE MAN TOLD ME HE HATED THERE CONTRACT WITH DRIVETIME. THIS IS THE WORST PLACE TO GET A CAR FROM. THIS WAS MY FIRST TIME BUYING A CAR. THIS IS HORRIABLE. I JUST RECENTLY HAD A BABY AND WAS ON DISABILTY MY CHECKS DIDNT COME ON TIME BUT I MADE SURE I PAID THEM WITHIN 7 DAYS AFTER MY NOTE WAS DUE. I NEVER EVER WENT OVER 30 DAYS. AS OF TODAY I CALLED DRIVETIME AND TOLD THEM THE MONEY WILL BE THERE MONDAY. THE GIRL CALLS ME WITH AN ATTITUDE REALLY RUDE. ANYWAYS SHE SAYS I OWE 783. SHE SAID SORRY WE SENT YOUR ACCOUNT TO DT COOPERATION ...WHAT? SO THEN I ASKED WELL IF I PAY 783 MONDAY WILL MY CAR BE IN REPO SHE SAID SHE DONT KNOW. SO I ASKED HER TO GIVE ME SOMEONE WHO DOES KNOW. SHE SAID I WONT KNOW UNTIL SATURDAY. RED FLAG I AM NOT GOING TO GO PAY 783 AND MY CAR IS STILL IN REPO. SHE SAID DT CORPERATION REPORTS TO DRIVE TIME. SO IF THATS THE CASE THEN WHY WOULD SHE HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL SATURDAYTO GIVE ME MORE INFO ABOUT THE CAR BEING IN REPO. LOST IM DONE WITH DRIVETIME AND THERE ### CARS.ALL SHE HAD TO SAY WAS ITS IN REPO INSTEAD SHE SAID I JUST DONT KNOW ITS NOTHING I CAN TELL YOU TODAY. THIS WAS MY FIRST TIME BEING PAST 30 DAYS LATE AND YOU CANT TELL ME IF MY CAR IN REPO OR NOT. MAKES ME ? WHO DOES SHE RELLY WORK FOR THATS SOMETHING SHE SHOULD KNOW. ITS SO MUCH MORE TO MY STORY BUT COUNT ME IN ON COURT.