Drive Time / Car Problems

1 Chesapeake, VA, United States Review updated:

I purchased a car from Drive Time on Oct. 22, 2007. Not even 3 months into having the car it started to run hot. Then their was oil mixed with the coolant. I called the Drive Time I purchased the car from and they gave me the number to customer service. They sent me to their repair shop (which the car couldn't even make it to). They told me the car needed almost $1000 in repairs and Drive Time wouldn't cover it. Now I was pissed off! Not only was I paying a $350 car payment, but they wanted me to pay this also. The manager told me that out of their kindness they would pay some of the expense (not all). I ended up paying around $400. The problems the car had were major and couldn't have happened in less than 3 months. Now not even a year later, I am experiencing the same problems with the car. I am not paying ANYTHING! I am contacting a lawyer and getting out of this contract. They are a rip-off! I am paying almost 3 times what the car is worth. If anyone is starting a petition against them, let me know. I should have listened to that voice in my head telling me to walk away from that dealership.

Ja

Comments

• Pi
      28th of Apr, 2009

To all the ppl Drivetime has affected,

Take a look at these websites:

Carmax has just filed a major lawsuit on Drivetime because of their business practices. This is very likely going to put them out of business! I am an ex employee of 4 yrs and know first hand that they don't have a leg to stand on. This will most likely be the end of the choas. Just thought that would make the day of alot of ppl out there.

~Ex DT Employee
    Atl, Ga

23rd of Oct, 2009

Unfortunately I have to say that I am part of the Drive Time's victims. I putted myself in the middle of a nightmare, by buying a car from Drivetime. I am the kind of person that value time as a treasure, working 14 hrs. a day and assisting to university too, I don't have time for this mediocrity. So, I have to let others know the kind of bussiness they are. I bought an SUV from them in July 24th of 2009 and from day one I confronted problems with the vehicle. To begin with, the fuel gauge on the panel won't work, which I couldn't notice before buying it, because the vehicle was even marking empty when I saw it. After that, the next morning when I went and moved the car from my garage, I saw an oil leak on the floor. Another problem with the SUV. This problem itself have brought me twice to the mechanic shop in less than three months. Now, the power windows started to act out, and the driver side got totaly stuck half open, not going down neither going up. the passenger side is probably soon getting stuck too. As if this were enough, the transmission is giving signs of problems now too. I called trying to reach a reasonable deal to change the vehicle for another one in better conditions, but they are totaly stucked on the the warranty is there for that reason. But, I don't buy a used vehicle, which I'm going to pay as new price, for being in the shop every week, month, or so; not to mention all the money involved.
    Drivetime you are a REAL SCAM! Very UNPROFESSIONAL! HOW DARE YOU TO BETRAY CUSTOMER'S TRUST! You are the kind of bussiness that never should have been in the market! I'will make sure this doesn't happen longer more, sooner or later!

• Dt
      19th of Jan, 2010

I purchased a car from drive time in september of 2008 and had problems starting only a couple weeks after bring the lemon home. The car started by not idaling and dieing it progressesed to a very weird problem that i still don't know the cause of as i would aselarate it would slam on the brakes by it's self then it started leaking coolent to the point of not being able to drive a car i am paying $400 a month. Drive Time sells nothing but Lemons and exspects the customers to keep up payments and pay for all the repairs

• Me
      8th of Jul, 2010

I purchased my vehicle from the Chesapeake DT in November 09. I haven't had any problems with the car, but I do have issues with their bait-and-switch practices. I was handed pamphlets about GAP protection and was told it was included in all DT car sales. My ex-husband and I BOTH recall the conversation about GAP with the sales rep. Fast-forward 8 months and I'm in an accident. There's a chance my car may be totaled. All of a sudden, DT doesn't have GAP coverage, and never did. Of course, I'm looking through the customer copies of the paperwork and it says I may be responsible for the balance on the car immediately if it's a total loss. That's $11k on a f****ing $5k car. I KNOW I was told about GAP coverage and I know there has to be something in the paperwork I signed, which is in their offices. It'll probably disappear when I file a complaint. I'm beyond done with this company!

6th of Jul, 2011

I am also among the many victims of drivetime. I bought an 07 PT Cruiser from them about a year ago, 4 months into having the car it broke down on me. A bolt fell off inside the engine & the warranty company did absolutely NOTHING to help me.. I could've sworn the engine was covered in their "warranty". I ended paying over $1, 500 to get a freaking bolt replaced!!! On top of that the mechanic who looked at it told me the engine was shifted & it looked like it had been in an accident!!! 2 months down the road the tensioner pulley assembly & the fan belt are broken! Once again their fabolous warranty company says its not covered. So here comes another $500 out of my pocket. About 1 1/2 months goes by and the thermostat and the radiator are out and again no help from the warranty company. That's another $350. 2 months from there the timing belt and the water pump go out on me & I am in stranded in the middle of nowhere with my two kids and it's snowing!! Again the warranty company did nothing to help me. Another $900. Even the roadside assistance wouldn't help me because I was too far out of their servicing area! My boyfriend had to make the 2 1/2 hour drive to pick us up. Finally the last incident the car starts over-heating out of nowhere!! Turns out the engine fan isn't working and once again the warranty company is no help. So instead of paying the $600 to get it fixed I'd rather have them take the car back. I CANNOT afford to pay the repair costs AND the $350 monthly payments. I agree with everyone else on this board I am DONE trying to work or pay this company!!! F**K DRIVETIME!!!

• On
      17th of Jul, 2012

7/17/12 I purchase a 04 sonota and having a problem with the car losing power, I called warranty dept and they had me take the car into one of their mechanics and had the water pump fixed, now I having the same problems, it turns out I lived close to work and did not use the car much for a year but now I have moved and using the car frequently and I am having the same problems again but drivetime is picking up the cost but cannot find the problem?????? The car at the mechanics and I am on hold with the warranty dept to find out what will happen with this faulty car...???

• Al
      13th of Oct, 2012

I purchased a 2007 Chrysler Pacific in 2012 and Drivetime told me the car facts report had no list of any accidents.
    I tried to trade the car in less than 6 months and less than 6000 miles from the time of purchase and I had no accidents and multiple places told me they would not take it; because it had been in a prior accident. In addition I paid about $20k for the car out the door however other car dealers would not give me more than $4000.00 for the car which puts me in the black for about $16, 000 (in the hole)
    How can I purchase a car and within 6 months decrease $16, 000 in 6 months?
    In addition you can not trade out because you are too far up side down and no one will give you a loan for more than the car you are buying is worth. How in the Hell do I Getty out of this contract.
    Allen

Ticked off DriveTime customer

• Ro
      12th of Aug, 2015

I had just purchase a leased car from drive time in riverside California and not even 3 in 1/2 weeks later my check oil light came on said oil change is due and I took it to sears and they said it was not time and just cause the oil lite come on it doesn't mean oil needs to be change so i called drive time and they transfer me to mechanic department who fix the vehicle's but did not get any answer and I attempt 2 the following week I was driving on the fwy at night and my check engine light came on and oil a loud noise in the motor pulled over and called the number on the book where they said I had side road assistant but they where close I have to know pay for my towing then next day I called again they wont let me trade it for another car without putting more money down I know have to tow my car to the shop where they referred me too now that 2 towing and they said they will reverse me if they car had a defect also they will rent me a car . They told me this the time I leased it now I have to pay for a rental when I check motor the day it made that loud noise the car did not over heat or no oil spill anywhere can some help me and give me advice what to do