DR. STEPHEN SEAL / UNPROFESSIONAL CONDUCT

1 HENDERSONVILLE HWYAsheville, NC, United States Review updated:

I recently fell in my driveway coming home after church one sunday night, and in a second every thing began to happen. All I could comprehend was ems, lights, sirens, blood, and talk of helicopters. Finally found out that there was no skull fratcure but had a broken nose, my eyes were swelled shut, and I was black and blue with stitches in my forehead.I was referred to Dr. Seal by the ER physicain to examine my broken nose and remove my stitches. Dr. Seal watched me as I passed by the nurses desk on the way to the exam room, he came into the roon and immediately said (in a hateful demeaning tone) "what can I do for you?" I briefly said I was referred because of my broken nose and to have my stitches removed and he immediately turned to my daughter (who is a registered nurse) and said "well is he (ER doctor)going to pay me for taking out your stitches?" Then he rudely states "WELL WERE YOU DRUNK WHEN THIS HAPPENED?" She immediately spoke up and said "NO MY MOTHER DOES NOT DRINK, SMOKE OR DO ANYTHING ELSE"!!! He states "well your the first person I have seen with a head injujry like that, that was not drunk" He took two seconds to look at her nose and said "your nose is fine". He was the most rude and unprofessional doctor I have ever met. He never asked how the accident happened, He made up his mind before even seeing me that I must have been drinking and fell. God forbid anyone with an alcohol addiction ever need his services!!! Not only will I not ever return to his office, I will tell every one I know about how I was treated.I want Dr. Seal to know how demeaning and degrading he treated us, and I hope maybe this complaint will prevent this from happening to anyone else.

Comments

16th of Nov, 2008

My experience being treated by Dr. Seal over the years has been positive. I have recommended him to friends and he has cared for my grandson in a most gentle manner.
    If you want competence go to him... if you need warm and fuzzy ... find another doctor.

• Ca
      23rd of Jun, 2009

Dr. Seal has treated me, my father and my son. He is a very competent doctor. At times, his bedside manner with me has not been the best, but he has been very friendly when it has come to my son. I'm an adult, I'll handle it. I appreciate his skill as a surgeon and his honesty about health issues. I also appreciate his more "warm and fuzzy" nature with children.

• Sk
      29th of Nov, 2010

He comes across different than those of us in this area are used to. He has operated on my mother three times over the last 5 years. I, at first, did not like him, but my mother LOVES him. After my first interaction with him, I began to listen to the "banter" between he and my mother and realized that what I heard in his comments and tone was completely different than what my mother heard. My mother "got" him and I didn't so I realized it's a dry sense of humor...you just have to learn how to take him. He's very compassionate and understanding, just not in the obvious way we southerners are used to.

• Pa
      18th of Nov, 2013

Are you kidding me? Dr. Seal is the most arrogant doctor I have ever met. I went to go see him 3 times before my surgery on my nose (septo-rhinoplasty) to confirm what he was going to do and how he was going to do it since he always rushing me out of his office to go see his next patient. He must have the worst "bedside manner" of any doctor I have met. He is very short and only gives you very basic info - ( basically one word answers. After my surgery which is a 2 week recovery went back to his office to get splint taken off my nose and realize that he did not fix my nose and breathing was not corrected. When I asked what are going to do to fix it his response to me was " well you have to wait at least a year and we can look at it again". So I tell him that I went through a lot of hard ache to get this surgery done since I had to endure all the pain and bleeding, also stay out of work, and financial costs of surgery...his response "didn't insurance cover this for you anyways?" ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! That was the arrogant doctors response to me. Even though my insurance covered it still costed me $2500 deductible plus 20% coinsurance. The only response I wanted from him was that he would be accountable and fix my issue. The doctor eventually just opened the door and started walking out so at this point I am furious and I tell the doctor in front of all his nurses and the nurses station " thanks for nothing" and left. Later after complaining to the office manager they apologized and gave me a $1000 discount on final bill...hands down worst doctor in Asheville ...

• Wa
      10th of Apr, 2014

Dr. Seal should be banned from practice. In a few minute consultation, his arrogant nature and "god" complex was apparent. Although we tried to discuss the complexation of my son injury he was matter-of-fact and abrasive. His treatment plan was superficial and he avoided any commitment towards any success. His comments suggested he doubted his ability towards successful treatment. The attending surgeon from the hospital seem to be as surprised as we were, with Seal comments and treatment prognosis. Seal couldn't even maintain eye contact when we were discussing surgery options. The next day, we found a doctor in Asheville who successfully treated our son. Our son is recovering very well, because of our decision to avoid Seal and if you are considering using this idiot - proceed at your own risk - you will be sorry. I plan to spread the word about this idiot to whom ever I can. People need to know about this jerk before they put there care in his incapable hands.

• Yo
      6th of Jul, 2015

I thought of posting a separate complaint with more details, but here it goes: STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM DR. STEPHEN SEAL!
    I was referred to him because I had a lump on my neck I wanted diagnosed. Not only does he have the worst bedside manner I've ever seen in a doctor, you can tell how arrogant he is just by the way he walks; then how he looks at and talks to you confirms it. He said I had a tumor in the parotid gland and he needed to do a biopsy to rule out cancer. Of course, I had to sign a waiver before the biopsy. When I questioned the assistant about the form, which claimed I had received information I never did, she said it was "just a standard form" —in other words, you either sign it or you don't get the biopsy, even if you're signing something that is not true. But I guess that's how the whole medical industry works.

Anyway, the biopsy was a quick procedure, and I went home with a band-aid on the puncture wound. The day after, however, the whole area was inflamed and bruised, I felt sick all over, had a fever and shooting pains throughout my head. The area looked like the tumor had grown twice its size. It was the weekend, so I managed the pain as best I could, although it made sleeping almost impossible. I am still hurting and waiting for the results, but now I know that no matter what, I would NEVER AGAIN put myself in the hands of this i.d.i.o.t. I've been treating the inflammation with homeopathy and it's getting better, but he definitely caused an infection he should have prevented or at least warned me about, especially when it's so close to the brain and in a gland that's going to make it circulate!
    I agree that people need to know about this doctor and stay away from him. Forget about the bedside manner or dry humor, he has NO CLUE about what he's doing!

• Ki
      17th of Aug, 2016

I saw Dr. Seal multiple times over a period of time from 1990 - 2002 and he did my sinus surgery. I always found him to be courteous and caring about my concerns with my sinus. I have never been treated unkindly by Dr. Seal. He also did surgeries on both of my son's for ear tubes. He does have a dry sense of humor and must have been joking with this persons mom as I would not believe it like him to be purposefully rude. He's an excellent doctor.

• Er
      27th of Aug, 2016

I was appalled at how bad Dr.Seal's bedside manner was. My son was referred by the family doctor, he was at the desk when we were led to the room and ignored us, he then walked in the room sometime later his eyes to the floor, didn't even introduce himself, walked to my son sitting in the chair. My son is shy so doesn't talk to people he doesn't know, Dr. Seal asked him his name and when he didn't answer turned to my 11 year old daughter and asked if he was always like this, I answered of course thinking it odd asking questions to an 11 year old, he continued to ask my daughter about my son. He didn't even do anything looked at my son's ear, said he needed surgery and walked out. He didn't even say what the procedure involved, and didn't make eye contact at all. I was bewildered at his treatment and his rude character. I was thinking of complaining to the manager and now after seeing I'm not the only one I will complain first thing in morning and tell the family doctor my son needs to see a different doctor. And your right about the paperwork they wanted me to sign saying I understand the complications and have had it explained... no one explained anything to me I had to ask them what is involved.. all the nurses and staff are just as incompetent as Dr.Seal.

• Gu
      28th of Nov, 2016

Just wondering if medical professionals could rate patients, would there be Docs that would refuse to see a patient because THEY were too difficult?