Dr Robert Kotler / Bad rhinoplasty

1 436 N Bedford Dr, Ste 201, Beverly Hills, CA 90210Beverly Hills, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: (310) 278-8721

I had a rhinoplasty with Dr Robert Kotler, that was so poorly done I now have to have revisions costing me more than double any initial surgery. The nose is disfigured and lumpy. I had the surgery purely for cosmetic reasons, not for breathing problems or any medical conditions. The doctor wanted to correct his bad work it with fillers... How is fillers going to correct a lumpy and shapeless tip, and disfigured nose? And when has fillers been FDA approved for this? The computer altered image and the final results don't even have any resemblance!
This surgeon does not want to take responsibility for his shoddy, tijuana quality work. In the consultation it was nearly impossible to get any clear response to anything and everything was responded to with "I know, I have done thousands of rhinoplasties".

I don't care how many TV programs Dr Robert Kotler has been in. He did a very bad job with my rhinoplasty and other surgeons I consulted for a second opinion called the workmanship cheap, a quick way of extracting money from a patient, and 'unacceptable poor work for a surgeon'.

Bh

Comments

• Wo
      22nd of Aug, 2009

I had a nose job from Kotler. I was very happy with his work. Anytime you have surgery you are gambling with your looks. That is the chance you take. They will not all look perfect. I would love to see your before and after

• Wo
      22nd of Aug, 2009

I also had a nose job from Kotler. I was very happy with his work. All doctors have complaints against them. He has the least. Plastic Surgery is a gamble with your looks. I can breath better and my nose looks better. I almost made a mistake and went to Dr ellebogen who was also on dr 90210.

23rd of Aug, 2009
    Best Best Advice +5 Votes

Your private message says your results were not 'perfect' but good. Your official post says you are very happy with the surgery. I think doctors have more unhappy patients than we may know of. Only those leading to disputes are officially known. The stack of disclaimer forms you have to sign at this surgeons office is quite extensive and you wonder if there has been many past complaints that have been settled in private.

I am not sure why you emailed me to discuss my case 'in private' and send photos if you are a patient that is already happy with your surgery. Makes no sense to me unless you work for the doctor. Tell the doc he doesn't need to worry: I'm filing my complaint with the medical board and he can probably view photos after they contact him.

Its not a question of looking perfect. Every surgeon I've had consultation with for a second opinion say I had cheap, shoddy surgery. In fact, they cannot believe it has been done in Beverly Hills and joke it was done in a third world country. And it shows. Its a question of having proper surgery. Dr Kotlers work worsened my appearance. I had nothing wrong with breathing, a crooked nose, or any visible defects. Now I do. My surgery was for purely aesthetic improvements. I find it unacceptable to end up with problems for something I paid thousands of dollars for. California needs much stricter regulations against surgeons putting greater responsibility on them on the results and effect of their work. As it is now, it seems little justice is done unless a patient dies or has unusual mistakes from medical neglect. This is not right. People pay for a quality procedure by surgeons claiming to be exceptionally skilled in their work.

• Re
      14th of Jan, 2010

I had a similar experience with Dr Robert Kotler with a failed nose surgery that is now completely healed and looks awful. It doesn't look natural and is clearly worse than pre-surgery. I went for consultation and contacted the doctor regarding the poor results, and was told adjustments had to be done. I had a second opinion who disagrees with Dr Kotler's decisions. He also disagreed the adjustments the doctor would make will solve my problem and suggest a proper revision.
    Unfortunately it is expensive to correct the errors from the surgery, which is a completely unnecessary expense on my part had the surgery been properly done. I have now contacted another surgeon who too agrees the surgery was poorly done. I was adviced to file a complaint.

• Re
      14th of Jan, 2010

OP: Did you file your complaint against the doctor? I feel uncomfortable filing one even if I've been asked to.

15th of Jan, 2010

I did not process my complaint against Dr Robert Kotler. At the time the Medical Board had some problems with their website and I had no access to the complaint forms. Then my husband had a job assignment in another state and we got busy and my time limit to file expired. I recently had a revision by Dr Davis (Florida) who managed to correct Dr Kotler's blunders and poor work.

Good luck with filing your complaint. It is probably the best thing to do.

15th of Jan, 2010

I am curious how wolfman2009 knows how many complaints have been filed against Dr Kotler? Even as a patient I was not able to find out exactly how many complaints had been filed against this doctor before I consulted him.
    Sounds to me you are not an actual patient, but an employee.

25th of Mar, 2010

Hello everyone. Dr. Kotler tells inquiring patients on his plastic surgery practice website that he learned the art of his special rhinoplasty technique from the infamous dr. Startz who maimed hundreds of his unsuspecting patients (many- permanently- for life). As a result dr startzs' practice failed and he commited suicide . Upon researching dr. startz I was amazed at how stupid dr. robert kotler thinks people are. Associating himself with dr startz is truely one of the biggest public relations blunders of the century. Copy and google the above article exerpt and it will lead you to the full text N.Y times article.
    Folks, cosmetic plastic surgeons are not the brightest bulbs in the medical profession. Although there are a few quality/ethical cosmetic plastic surgeons practicing, the vast majority are only in it for the money. The fact that the cosmetic plastic surgery industry is so grossly under- regulated, allows lousy surgeons like dr. kotler to produce extremely unfavorable surgical outcomes without taking any personal responsibility. Write to your elective representatives and to your states medical boards and demand that they take action to ensure patient safety and develope/enforce aesthetic standards within the cosmetic surgery industry.

25th of Mar, 2010

Many years ago, I learned a non-surgical injection technique from Dr. Jack Startz, an innovative, senior Beverly Hills cosmetic facial surgeon. He showed me how to repair bungled rhinoplasties in two to five office visits. The technique involves no incisions, no time off work and no recovery downtime.

Hi folks its me again. Just thought I'd post dr. kotlers own words from his informational website ( see above). Copy it - google it and find... dr startz the grand ole' master of cosmetic plastic surgery left a lasting impression on dr. kotlers rhinoplasty revision technique.

25th of Mar, 2010

Above is the website (copy paste in your browser and clik). have a nice day...

• Be
      26th of Mar, 2010

Thank you for responding to my private message and sending me pictures of your before and after results. I fully agree: this doctor has actually ruined your face to some extent. It's not a small mistake to come into a surgeon's office and have nothing wrong with you and end up looking like a truck has hit you. The mistakes are clearly visible even on the pictures so I can assume they show even more in flesh.
    I used to work as a nurse in a major hospital in our area. I have seen plenty of bad surgery from plastic surgeons over the years. The policies for reimbursement for bad surgery really needs to change in this country. Patients basically have no rights as it is now. Dr Kotler is plain stupid if he doesn't help you get this sorted out. Do you have someone else in mind? I know many of the patients I came across did not want to return to the same surgeon and had to pay for the entire surgery all over again.

28th of Mar, 2010

Hello everyone. Please read the above web address article concerning liquid silicone and it's proper use. Dr kotler promotes liquid silicone's use on his website which is in violation of the FDA's rules governing its legal advertisement and use . Only approved clinical trials may legally inject liquid silicone into the soft tissue of the body for the purpose of augmentation and dr kotler's practice is not on any appoved clinical trial list. Please read the article posted above very thoroughly. have a good day.

28th of Mar, 2010

Very sad story about Dr Jack Startz. Maybe he wouldn't have had so many complaints against him and be forced to commit suicide if he would have followed proper medical practices. The deform someone still young for the rest of their life and not even bother to return their calls or help to correct his mistakes when they start to complain is pretty callous.

28th of Mar, 2010

Yea bh it was very callous of dr startz to treat his patients the way he did but the horror is that dr kotler admires dr startz and openly says so on his website that counter57 posted above. For dr kotler to admire such a man as dr jack startz is truely disgraceful and it shows what little regard dr kotler has for his patients safety and welfare. Its a good thing you did not allow dr kotler to perform a revision nose job using liquid silicone injections- good for you bh . His website promotes liquid silicone injections for the revision of "bungled" nose jobs as he calls it. Dr. kotler is not approved in any clinical trials to perform liquid silicone injections on any of his patients for the purposes of augmenting soft tissue (face/nose buttocks ect). The two other legal applications for the use of liquid silicone are not within dr kotlers scope of practice. The fact that dr kotler is a teacher of up and coming plastic surgeons at a major university in the Southern California area is a very frightening prospect for the health and safety of cosmetic surgery patients, if his graduating students choose to follow his unethical lead. I am glad to read that you were able to get your botched nose job, that dr. kotler performed, repaired properly but dr kotler should have been responsible for the cost of your revision rhinoplasty. Simply because your rhinoplasty was an elective procedure should make no difference. If a person elects to have a kitchen remodeled and the end result is unsatisfactory, the person has legal recourse and options available to rectify the situation and choose another contractor to repair the damage with no out of pocket expenses. Why should an unsatisfactory cosmetic procedure be any less important, especially when it involves a persons face which can be irreversabile and the psychological affects permanently debilitating. Counter57 is correct when he tells cosmetic plastic surgery patients who have been harmed by plastic surgeons to write their elective representatives and state medical board and inform them of their traumatic experiences so that proper regulations/enforcement can be enacted to protect patient safety and welfare. Have a good day bh.

• Zi
      3rd of Jun, 2010

Im considering hetting rhynoplasty with Dr.Kotler, but now i not sure, Im 18 and wondering if anyone could reccomend me a good surgeon, Plus he seems alittle pricy to me and my parents. thank you, =)

3rd of Jun, 2010

Hi zippo. What ever you do- do not- I repeat do not let Kotler touch your nose! Anyone who caims that dr jack startz was his mentor and a great plastic surgeon, must to be sociopath and a lousy plastic surgeon! Take your time, get alot of support from those close to you and do an enormous ammount of research before you make your final decision- please! Good luck to you zippo and have a good day.

• Zi
      4th of Jun, 2010

thank u, i will definitely take this into consideration and i really appreciate the feed back.=)
    I am really fortunate to have found this website.

5th of Jun, 2010

Yes zippo your welcome. To ensure that you do not use Kotlers services, here are a few lines from a PSP (Plastic Surgery Practice) article in which kotler was quoted as saying : ... After 8 months, Kotler stepped up to a part-time practice arrangement with Jack Startz, MD, a facial cosmetic surgeon in Beverly Hills. "Dr Startz had a huge practice, and I benefitted from some of his overflow, " Kotler says. "The real prize, however, was being able to observe his surgical techniques—they were efficient and highly successful."
    How can "dr" kotler say such a thing. Either kotler has a very short memory or he thinks his prospective patients are mentally challenged. I am sure you have already read the N.Y. times article about "dr" jack startz posted above by counter57. Here is an excerpt from the article just to refresh your memory but remember zippo, hundreds of other patients were disfigured by "dr" jack startz as well...
    ... OVER THE NEXT FOUR years, Dr. Seifert was able to stem the ravages of the silicone for Elaine Young. He gave her three or four steroid injections as a ''temporizing procedure.'' Nevertheless, her face again began to become hideously distorted. She was terrified by the rapid change. ''I couldn't sleep on either side of my face. The pain was excruciating. The silicone was growing up into my eye.''

At about the same time, she learned that Dr. Startz had committed suicide, his practice and reputation in shambles.

Zippo or anyone else considering "dr" kotler's services please forget about it!! Don't be a guinea pig! "Dr" kotler can get around the FDA's regulations regarding the safe use of liquid silicone without participating in a clinical trial, if as a physician he feels it is "medically neccessary" which is an additional provision to the FDA rule that the plastic surgery boards lobbied for. The "medically neccessary" provision enables money hungery success driven plastic surgeons like "dr" kotler to compromise the patient's safety and welfare.
    Have a good day
    Have a good day...:)...

7th of Jun, 2010

i was very surprised to find this website and the complaints about DR Kotler. He is one of the doctors who's operated on more than 4000 patients and of the pictures I saw on his website all look nice. I am seriously considering having Rhinoplasty with him as he operates giving people a natural look, but will now do a lot more research to find out whats going on.

7th of Jun, 2010

To the person who posted the complaints, is there any way I can see your before after pictures? If so, and they are not beautiful, I will confront him about it myself.