Dr. Richard Benoit DMD / Unethical Treatment, Unprofessionalism, Rude Manner

1 Old Saybrook, CT 06475123 Elm Street, CT, United States Review updated:
Phone: 860-388-2107

I have been a patient of Dr. Richard P. Benoit DMD, for 10 years. I was a kind-hearted patient who was always very sweet, easy-going, even went so far as giving him ornament and card at Christmas time thanking him for his service. Well... Last year I had an emergency where a filling fell out. I called to see if he would squeeze me in, and he did not make the time. I was in pain and it was in an obvious area in the front of my mouth; and he did not attempt to help me. Confused and irritated, I booked with another compliable dentist in town... this new dentist was empathetic to the urgency of my dental needs and even took care of me that day. This made me re-think the dental services I was receiving from Dr. Richard P. Benoit. I did not change dentists yet however. A year and a half later, when a filling fell out that Dr. Richard P. Benoit had installed years ago, I called up to see if they would be more helpful this time. Maybe it was a fluke or maybe I got them at a busy time. Maybe they weren't always this rude and unprofessional. So, I decided to give Dr. Richard P. Benoit another try, and 2 weeks ago booked an appointment for the filling that fell out. My appointment was made for Tuesday, Sept. 16 at 2pm. I walked in there for my appointment, and was told by the secretary that I did not have an appointment. She was rude and blank and did not take ANY responsibility for the error, rather, she spoke condescendingly to me as though it was my fault. Or maybe it was my misunderstanding. I was so caught off guard with her talking down to me as though it was my lapse in judgement. I took time off of work and drove all the way there, and the best they could do was re-schedule... and not go out of their way to right their wrong. She asked if I would like to re-book for Friday. Frustrated as I was, I told her I would think about it and give them a call back. I handled the situation with more class and educated social skills than she, and called back 20 minutes later. This time, I got a different secretary. I told her that I would like that Friday appointment, and she told me that I could not have it. The only opening then was for a cleaning. So I asked when the next appointment was, and she told me not for a month and a half. I could go on the waiting list she said. I didn't want a waiting list, I wanted a concrete appointment. So I was firm in saying I wanted the next available appointment, even if it was in December, just so I could have something in concrete. TO MY COMPLETE AND UTTER SHOCK, this secretary then told me she would not book me for anything other than a cancellation list. I re-instated to her that I didn't want to be on the cancellation list, because my schedule was very busy, and that I wanted a concrete appointment that I could count on. She then was very short with me on the phone and told me that I am a new patient of his. I'm not a new patient of his... I've been going there for 10 years, I told her. Apparently, since my last visit there was in December 2006, a year and a half ago, however, I was considered a new patient and they no longer book new patients. I could not believe a dentist that I have been going to for 10 years, would a) not go to any lengths to fix an error that occurred on their part; b) show little to no empathy in having put me through all this trouble and confusion; and c) have such miscommunication between the secretaries when attempting to resolve the situation; and d) be unwilling and incapable of booking a solid appointment, even months down the road, to ameliorate the situation. THE BEST PART IS when I was asking the secretary questions to better understand this unfathomable situation I was in, she told me she didn't have time to talk to me and that she was hanging up the phone. SHE HUNG UP ON ME!!! And i was being nothing but calm and trying to book myself an appointment. It was just 100% pure disgusting lack of class and professionalism on their behalf. I have never been treated so poorly by a dentist team anywhere than at Richard P. Benoits dentist office. It was absolutely uncalled for. No professional environment anywhere has ever treated me with such a lack of patience, courtesy, understanding, or respect. So I went back and filled out a release form for myself, and got one for my sister, so that we can continue our dental services in a dentist office that we can trust; by a dentist who has empathy and loyalty to his clients; and where the receptionists are kind and helpful, and not rude and defensive. The customer is always right where i come from, and in this situation, they were very short with me; did not take into account that I was the patient who they had terribly inconvenienced more than once; and did not take any concrete steps to make it right. I recommend that you stay away from Dr. Richard P. Benoit DMD. Might have been decent a few years ago, but something definitely has gone down in the last 2 years at that site. Be careful choosing your Dentist. Never settle for less than you know you deserve. -Katy

Ka

Comments

• Ri
      17th of Sep, 2008

It's quite obvious you have an ax to grind with this doctor. Take a step back and read your letter - you babble the same thing over and over - yet you never take personal responsibility. Yes, you are a new patient. You WERE a former patient - that is until you decided to neglect your dental care for 18 months. I'm sure you have been told to get two cleanings and checkups a year. Perhaps if you had lived up to your end of the bargain - this would have been nipped in the bud? But, people like you find it much easier to point fingers and write snotty letters. Kudos to you for taking you records - and your sisters records out. Are you her keeper? You sound like a perfect ###. The dental practice doesn't need "needy clients" like yourself. Good luck with your new dentist.

• Cl
      3rd of Oct, 2008

I have worked in many different dental/medical offices over the years and it seems to me that you are simply angry because they do not want you as a client. I know that there were people my empl0yers did not want to see. It was always the people that had a habit of not doing what they were told and then expected you to drop what you were doing when they finally called with an "emergency" of their own making. Generally it was the pain in the ### people we let go.

The abuse people heap on to the poorly paid girls answering the phone, just trying to do their jobs never ceases to amaze me. If people would only realize that a little courtesy would get them farther than being rude, demanding, and confrontational.

Believe it or not my doctors and the staff were I work really care about our patients, but we can only do one thing at a time on one person at a time. When someone has a true emergency they are taken care of, but people lie just to get in. This in not fair to the patients who made their appointments weeks or months earlier, especially when 90% of the time these people are just being self centered and having no pain or real major problem at all.

If I had to guess based on my personal experience I would say that this office won't be missing you.

• Cl
      3rd of Oct, 2008

Back again. I just thought that I would point out that It appears that Dr. Benoit wrote the first rebutal, but I have learned that it is not from him. Whoever wrote it put his name in instead of their own.

31st of Oct, 2008

TAKE HIM TO THE BOARD ALONG WITH THE OFFICE FAMILY . FILE A COMPLAINT AGAINST HIM SO WHEN OTHERS CALL THEY WILL REALEASE HOW MANY COMPLAINTS THERE ARE FROM THAT OFFICE. OFFICE TWITS-- THERE ARE MORE AND MORE, THEY FILL A SPACE, MCDONALDS WOULD NOT HIRE THEM APPARENTLY. THEY FEEL THEY HAVE POWER BEHIND THE NAME OF A DR./OR/DDS . MOST OF THEM ARE STILL WET BEHIND THE EARS I HAVE SHOELACES OLDER THAN MOST OF THEM. I AM FROM THE OLD SCHOOL. TREAT PEOPLE RIGHT.WHO KNOWS MAYBE THEIR HEMMORROIDS WERE HURTING THAT DAY . GOOD LUCK

• Ji
      20th of Apr, 2009

I am glad to read this complaint. A friend who recommended this dentist when I moved to the area. She left the practice but would not tell me why.

I left Dr. Benoit's practice as well after I saw how he yelled at one of his dental hygenists in an unprofessional manner last year. He used the "f" word at least 5 times and I was in the restroom when I heard it but there is no way that anyone else in the office did not hear it. I had problems before getting an appointment at the office after waiting for six months for an appointment. It was rescheduled to an earlier time in the day when I'd already arranged time off work so I could not attend the appointment. When I went to reschedule I had to wait another two months. If they are going to move up my appointment at least give me 24 hours to arrange notice.

Then when I finally went to the office that day, he wasn't even there. It was just secretaries and hygenists. The next time I went was the incident with the swearing at the hygenist.

Can anyone recommend me a good dentist in the Westbrook-Clinton-Old Saybrook area? One that does not need a censor?

• Ca
      10th of Jul, 2009

I have been a patient of Dr. Benoit for 3+ years now. I have always been afraid of the dentist until I started going to Dr. Benoit. He is a wonderful dentist, who makes you feel at ease and comfortable. He explains everything he is going to do throughly. He has the latest in technolgy. I mean I had a crown made right in his office in one day! It was amazing...no more messy gagging impressions. Which was wonderful! I think you others may have the wrong doc and office because I like his entire staff as well. Everyone seems so happy there and why not Dr. Benoit seems like a great person to work for. His assistant told me she loves him and drives an hour just to work for him. It just really bothers me that you all have such horrible things to say about him. I really think you must have him confused with another dentist...The things you have said seem so out of character or they are lies? I have referred many people to Dr. Benoit and they all absolutley love him!

• Ni
      3rd of Sep, 2010

Wait, you haven't been with him long enough. And, you obviously pay cash. And, you have not run into the evil one at the desk.

• Tw
      25th of Jan, 2011

You are an out & out miserable person. I'm saying not. Not Dr. Benoit or anyone associated with his office. I've been going there for probably 15 yrs or so. They have never been anything but very nice & helpful. Dr. Benoit goes into great detail explaining what his plan is fof me. His secrataries & assistants are always nice as can be to me & my family. You must be a real piece of work lady for them to treat you that way. I can't figur out why you were so persistent about getting a "concrete" appointment if they were so bad. Why didn't you stay with the dentist that was so wonderful to you when you having an, uh-hum "emergency"? Why you persisted & insisted to be taken back by this "terrible" dentist when you had such a wonderful rapport ith this other dentist. This whole thing sounds fishy.
    This should be alesson to everybody reading this why you should be leary about what you see on the news or read in the paper, or even entertainment rags that report stories on indivuals. Be leary because there are always malcontents out there willing to sulley someone's name because they are miserable S.O.B.'s and the media is ready to jump on their story without even fact-checking. When I was growing up members of the press use to have to have 2 or 3 sources to back up a story before reporting it. Now if it's on someone's personal blog the talking heads will just say, "Reports are out there...". They won't tell you that the source is "buttface67@aol.com" and when the story is proven wrong IF they report it, it's on the bottom of page 37 or buried somewhere else. It's shameful.

• Ls
      10th of Feb, 2011

Dr. Benoit and his secretaries are saints. A friend of mine's car broke down while she was on the way to her dental appointment. She called to cancel, and Dr. Benoit had his assistant pick her up. You need to wake up and smell the roses. I know this guy personally and he's awesome.

• Sc
      13th of Jun, 2013

I was just wondering why my pre meds were not called in after putting 2 calls into the office .As a new patient to this practice I have to say after reading the complaint and comments I am feeling quite apprehensive as my first visit to Dr Benoit is approaching. . Thus far we have found the office staff to be very helpful . I pray my experience with Dr Benoit turns out to be exceptionally positive and of quality work. A crown is quite expensive and takes great skills And patience for the exact fit and color .I hope to report just that and have no lifelong problems with the crown loosening or breaking in the future. Dr Benoit here I come let this be the best experience and great out come.