Dr. Gray Bailey / Over charged and horrible extraction

1 Prairieville, LA, United States Review updated:

On January 19, 2009 I contacted Dr. Gray Bailey's office due to a toothach. They were able to see me that day. I had already been suffering with this tooth for a week and knew it needed to be removed. It was absessed and my face was swollen and I could not eat, sleep, let alone work... whick I had been for a week. I went in they exrayed it and said "Nothing was wrong with the tooth" I insisted that there was and I wanted the tooth removed, he disagreed with me and put me on antibiotics and pain meds. That cost me $81.00 and $23.00 or the meds. Over night I became worse, I called back the very next morning early after missing my second day of work and I insisted they needed to pull my tooth. They said they would look at it again. I told them I wanted the tooth out, its NOT like I DONT know when I have a bad tooth I onlu have 7 of my own teeth the rest are dentures and a partial! I HAD to sign a waiver stating I wanted the tooth out. My wife had previously told me that they would AGAIN charge me for an office vist, I disagreed...LOL!!! I was WRONG! After taking ANOTHER exray they started pulling the tooth but not until after they had given me 3 shots. The pain was AWFUL!! He pulled and pulled and broke the tooth and dug and dug. After MUCH hollaring they gave me what he called a "Deep shot" two to be exact. They pain was SO BAD they had to keep wiping MY brow for sweat! My shirt was SOAKED on my back when I got up!! I was shaky and had a headach and neck ack from bearing down to hold myself in the chair while he pulled the tooth! I had to get 5 stitches. NEVER had I experienced ANYTHING like this and like I said I have only 7 teeth. After it was over the Dr. commented "Oh I guess if they had all been that rough you wouldnt had ANY extracted"! I was MAD it wasnt like I WANTED my teeth pulled!!! At that point I was charged$278.00!! Not only was I chared that but I also lost OVER $200.00 by missing a day of work! So 1 tooth cost me OVER $700.00 just to be pulled. I feel I was way over charged and torchered!!! I will NEVER go to him again!!! And guess what? The tooth he said "Nothing was wrong with"... I have NO pain...so SOMETHING was wrong!!

Comments

• Ro
      23rd of May, 2009

Sorry to hear of your bad experience. Maybe if you had taken better care of your teeth to begin with you wouldn't have found yourself in such a predicament. Point is, acute dental infections like the type it sounds you had are much better controlled with medication such as antibiotics at first (unless they appear to be life threatening) than just going in and pulling the tooth. That's probably the reason why the dentist you went to tried to treat in that manner at first. In the presence of an active infection like the one it sounds you had, dental anesthetics often are not very effective in controlling discomfort during any procedure such as an extraction. But if you can decrease the level of infection with antibiotics over a few days, the local anesthetic is usually more effective and the procedure much easier. Would also help if you visit your dentist on a more regular basis rather than waiting until something hurts. Just a thought.

15th of May, 2015

They have a very pushy and annoying billing lady too!