Dr. Cary Martens / Price gouching

1 po box 87Aberdeen, WA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 360 538 0135

I'm a healthy 32 year old mother of 2. I was seen by this OBGYN for a IUD replacement. The Dr. mentioned he would like to do some routine tests before the procedure to ensure I was healthy. The tests was a UTI test. I assured him I did't have any symptoms but, being aggreeable I said I would allow it only if it would be included in my routine care. I stated I would only be willing to pay my co-pay of 15 dollars. I was assured by the front office staff that this indeded was "pre authorized" and would be covered at 100 percent. After 2 cathiders and a room full of people watching what I thought was going to be a UTI test it turned out he was show boating for his trainees, and performed a completley unnecessary, and expensive series of diagnostic tests on my bladder. Then sent my ins company over 5, 000 dollars in bills that they paid! He then sent me a bill for ten percent claiming my insuance only covered this procedure at 90%!!! I have disputed this bitterley, not to mention I contracted the worst bladder infection ever from this procedure he did. Keep in mind I was perfectly healthy when I came in, I just wanted my birth control updated... Who helps people like me? The doctors office told me to pay or be sent to collections, my insurance company says "they pay on good faith". Who is going to stop these greedy doctors from robbing us blind? My husband is a union firefighter, fortunatley we have excellent coverage, but it seems that there are doctors/ predetors just waiting for folks like us to bill the hell out of!

Comments

• Sc
      23rd of Feb, 2009

Yes more and more Doctors are being predetors to get us to pay them, just greedy.

• Mo
      25th of May, 2009

We all need to take control of our own medical care. Physicians are an important piece of the system, but we are ultimately responsible. If a test is suggested/ordered by our doctor, ASK about it before it is done. Anyone who just goes along with the test is the one ultimately to blame.

3rd of Nov, 2009

I can't believe this review. I also went through the bladder testing this person describes because of my history of leaking and frequent bladder infections with the same doctor!!! Dr. Martens learned about my problems at the time of my first annual with him. I wasn't going in there because of the problems, however due to the fact that is very thorough and not just there to do a "pap" he learned about them. He spent more time talking and getting to know my history than any other doctor I have ever had. As a 39 year old I thought I was supposed to leak with sneezing, laughing, excercise after having 3 boys the hard way. I did not know that there were things out there to help me. So I went through the bladder testing (by the way it was painless) and now after some treatment, I am no longer leaking and have not had an infection in over a year and counting. If any one has read this review and did not seek treatment, then I feel terribly sorry for them.

28th of Apr, 2010

Thanks for posting.

• Nr
      5th of Apr, 2011

Dr. Marten's is the best OBGYN I have ever been to. He is detail oriented and ethical. He is professional and highly knowledgeable. I am very proactive about my health care and I AM the one who called MY insurance company to see what they cover. That is YOUR job, not his or his office staff. Without a doubt in my mind he was looking after your best interest.