Downey Animal Shelter / Awful shelter

I brought 4 of my cats to this shelter because I could no longer keep them. I was trying to find people to adopt them and I had at least 4 people call in and say they were going to go and adopt them and 6 days after I brought them in they were uthenized. They have had cats there since January and I brought my cats in August and they were dead after 6 days. All I can say is never bring your dogs or cats here. Try and find a non kill shelter. There are many out there. I just didnt have the time to find them and once I did my cats were already gone. PLEASE DONT BRING YOUR ANIMALS HERE, THEY WILL KILL THEM IMMEDIATLY.

Ki

Comments

• Pu
      26th of Aug, 2009

I don't understand why you took them in when you were lining up adopters..? Unfortunately, once you dump pets at a shelter, you have no control over what happens to them. I feel sorry for the cats. I hope you don't get any more pets.

• Ic
      5th of Oct, 2009

There was a dog I was going to adopt, he was sick, they told me they were treating him Sept. 25, they told me to call back on the 26 around noon. I did it took them 4 hrs to answer a call literally cause when i called they would hang up on me, so i would call back just to be hung up again. On Sunday, Sep. 27 I called again, they told me to come the next day in to the shelter to discuss the dog's recovery. I went there on Monday 28, the lady who helped us kept going to the back to walk to the front to just turn back about 7 times until she told me, 'the dog passed away on Sep. 25. I was appalled that they lied to me about the dog's recovery. I asked how come they told me he was recovering and she repeated, 'the dog passed away.'
    So word to the wise to do leave your animals at this shelter, it has very poor services, and the facilities are very dirty. I would not recommend this shelther.

• Do
      27th of Nov, 2009

I work at an animal hospital and in the past year we have seen quite a few puppies that come from the downey animal shelter with parvo, which most of then end up dieing. Also, i think it is horrible how the downey animal shelter euthanizes! NO ONE SHOULD EVER TAKE THEIR PET TO THIS SHELTER! There are so many no kill animal rescues to take your pets to.!

• Mo
      9th of Dec, 2009

I was looking for a dog to adopt and decided to try this shelter since I was in the area. When we came upon a cage with 6 or 7 puppies in it, there were tons of piles of dog poo everywhere with worms mixed in and all the puppies were frolicking around. After we picked the one we wanted the told us to come back and pick him up after a few days and when I did, I was told he was neutered and to pick him up around back. I was planning on neutering him anyway but I was going to wait till he was the correct age of 5-6 months old. He was only 2 months old when they did the procedure and needless to say I was upset. When I went to the vet area to pick him up, the entire place smelled horrible. I couldnt believe this was where the vet treated the animals. When they brought my puppy out to me, he smelled even worse than the facility. He smelled so so so bad and I was shocked to believe that this is how they gave my puppy surgery. No medicine incase he was in pain, nothing. This place is the worst facility I have ever seen or smelled. It should be shut down, or taken over by someone who actually does care about the well being of the animals.

• Jz
      25th of Jan, 2010

I'm so sorry about your cats. Something I just can't understand is people turning in their pets because they are "moving" or "allergic" or can "no longer keep them". These animals are our commitments for life, just as children are. I hope this wasn't a foreclosure or bankruptcy or serious illness. Other than that, there doesn't seem to be any justifiable reason for abandoning pets.

• Lo
      8th of Dec, 2010
    Downey Animal Shelter - Disappearing cat!
    Downey Animal Shelter
    Downey
    California

This shelter sent someone out to pick up my cat from a local church because he was playing with the children and didn't have a collar. The officer logged my cat in with an impound number. The lady from the church saw my fliers and called me the next day. I went to the shelter and the lady at the desk found the impound number and she seemed secure that my cat was there. She returned confused and said they called the officer on the phone. He said that he re-released my cat a block away from my house because he was wearing a collar. This was an outright lie on both fronts. My cat has never worn a collar and the ladies at the church said he had no collar. Also, my cat knew the whole neighborhood and he would have returned. I am currently in the midst of a lawsuit against the officer and the shelter for their complete negligence and mishandling of this situation. I think they killed or sold my cat. Who knows what they did to him but they made him disappear that's for sure. They should be shut down. This place is animal death row.

• Zh
      8th of Dec, 2010

our website: http://www.shoesforking.com

hello everyone, im wholesale supplier online
    Believe you will love it.
    very good shopping web.

Bikini (Ed hardy, polo) $25
    FREE SHIPPING, accept paypal
    free shipping
    accept paypal credit card
    lower price fast shippment with higher quality
    BEST QUALITY GUARANTEE!!
    SAFTY & HONESTY GUARANTEE!!
    FAST & PROMPT DELIVERY GUARANTEE!!

very good shopping web.

The website wholesale for many kinds of fashion shoes,
    like the nike, jordan, prada, also including the jeans, shirts, bags, hat and the decorations.
    All the products are free shipping, and the the price is competitive,
    and also can accept the paypal payment., after the payment, can ship within short time.

• Ca
      11th of Feb, 2015

I was looking for a dog to adopt in this shelter located in Garfield. For 3 days went there and all the time was getting different info, and they always tell you that the dog that you want its all ready adopted and the person is going to pick up the same day, when you go back the next day the dog still there.
    They have a bad customer service like if they hate their jobs and don't want to be there.
    I hope someone do something about it because they make hard to adopt a lovely dog.
    I was there at 11:00 am this morning to make sure be the first one when they open and then a guy who works there told me with attitude if I don't know read big sign they open at 12:00, I wasn't doing nothing just waiting for them to open