Down to Earth Gunite Pools / Fraud, Dishonest, Filing false documentation, failure to complete work and taking money

Green Acres, fl 33454-2228po box 542228, FL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 954-298-3825

This company has comitted fraud by working under a dead man's license, failure to complete work, fraud, taking money for work that was not completed. Seeking others to come forward and start class action suite. Do not use Down to Earth Gunite pools or Extreme Gunite.

Comments

Ge
  1st of Nov, 2008
I am in the process of having a pool built by this company, and my experience is that they deliver to the terms of their agreement, they do not ask for money for work that has not been completed, and I cannot imagine why the person who sent this complaint came to the conclusion that they were operating under a "dead man's" license. In fact there was another person's name listed on the license and there was some sort of a disagreement between that person and the company, but my extensive research shows that the person named on that license is in fact alive and well and running a pool company in Central Florida. Down to Earth Gunite Pools clearly identified this person when I signed a contract with them, and when that person removed themselves from the license, this company contacted me to inform me of the situation, they obtained a license in the name of the owner of the company (which I have verified) and I signed documents to transfer the job to the new licensee (which by the way is the current owner of the company). As for fraud, there is no fraud happening here. This company is doing their absolute best to do the right thing for their customers. While the person who filed the complaint may have been subject to construction delays, that is pretty much a fact of life with ANY construction project. This company has NEVER asked me for more money than what they were entitled to, and they have been nothing but honest and up front with notifying me of delays that were beyond their control, and providing updates on how those delays would affect the schedule that we had tentatively agreed to.

In this day and age of corporate failures, stock market declines, and an overall down economy, I can't imagine why anyone why anyone would be so harsh on a company that is absolutely doing their best to meet their commitments.
  5th of Nov, 2008
We contracted to have our pool built on June 1st with a 30 day guarantee on completion date. They are a terrible company to deal with, won't return calls for weeks on end and anyone thinking of using them should forget it.

We are filing a lawsuit.
  5th of Nov, 2008
Forgot to mention - the pool is still not finished!
  6th of Nov, 2008
This is a terrible company to deal with. We contracted on 5/29/08. Still is not finished, no work performed since 9/11/08. The problems we had are too numerous to list here, but just to name a few- we were threated with a lien by a supplier as they hadn't paid the bill(after we had paid for that part), the pool leaks, the deck is sinking and there is air in the plumbing system. They do not answer phone calls. Once they got the majority of our money, they pretty much disappeared. Luckily, having built a pool before, we knew exactly where we stood, and the pool needs a liitle work to be finished. We are applying for a bulder owner permit and completing the pool ourselves.(Palm Beach county allows that-not Broward though- you will have to hire a new contractor to finish your pool.) BTW, when we stopped in Palm Beach County permiting today, they told us there is a big ruckus concerning this company, they have had numerous complaints and to "expect to see them on the nightly news" soon. They are currently holding a temp. lic. that allows them to finish pools they started, but are not allowed any new permits at this time- so DO NOT sign a contract or give them any money as the permit could be delayed indefinately. YOU (not DTEG)will be fined by the county if the work on an oustanding permit is not completed in 6 mos. Please call Palm Beach County Permiting offices to verify this info. if your in doubt- don't lose your money!!
  6th of Nov, 2008
Warning to Bob- I don't know what stage your pool is at, but if you don't understand Florida Lien Laws, please educate yourself- sub-contractors and suppliers have 45 days after work/supplies are complete to notify you of an impending lien. At the time the original lic. was pulled, DTEG had about 20 incomplete pools in PBC- some had had no work completed in over 100 days- those pools under the old lic # are still incomplete. After your 2nd large payment, expect work to really slow down on your pool.
  6th of Nov, 2008
I heard from someone in the business that the person with the original lic. is alive, but relinquished it due to complaints and pending lawsuits. He didn't want to be connected to it and held liable.
  11th of Nov, 2008
I hear they are not paying their employees and they have 70 very unhappy people with unfinished pools.

Contact the Attorney General's office
Ve
  14th of Nov, 2008
I suspect that "George Carr" is most likely an employee of the company and not an actual customer.

This company is good for one thing...broken promises.

Do not sign with this company. If you have already signed with them, instead of paying them pay your money directly to the suppliers and sub-contractors.

I understand they have had "problems" but that doesn't account for them dodging phone calls and being dishonest.
To
  18th of Nov, 2008
Every complaint I've read about this company is ABSOLUTELY TRUE! We signed May 29th. We paid 95% of the payments months ago and they dropped off the face of the earth. We don't have any money to complete the pool ourselves. They don't answer their phone. They don't return messages. Finally, after speaking to someone after 2.5 months, they tell you to call back next week for status. Four weeks later... we still have no backyard. George Carr... you must have purchased an expensive pool...
  19th of Nov, 2008
They are an awfull company to deal with, we have to complete the pool ourselves. If you are in the situation where they have not worked on your pool for 60 days, you can send them a certified letter giving them 30 days to commence work this is outlined in Florida Statutes 489.126 (4). After that you can refer the matter to the State Attorney.
Ad
  20th of Nov, 2008
IF everyone is experiencing the same situation - we can all join class action lawsuit.
  20th of Nov, 2008
Here is the grim news…. they are not coming back to finish your pool. They have taken your money as they did mine. They lost their license and are trying to piggy back on another sucker’s license. After speaking to other pool companies, I am now learning what a bad reputation and trail of deceit that Down To Earth Gunite Pools has created for themselves. Eddie Johnson has settled out of court in West Palm Beach for a case of not paying his employee. As I gather quotes from other companies, I am being told that the gunite was shot at the wrong psi, that the pool shell is too thin and their work is not quality and may fail in the future. The original license for Down to Gunite pools was voluntarily relinquished…meaning they couldn’t keep up with the angry unhappy customers. The person who held that license Robert Milner…Do you recognize this name? he has re-opened under
1456862 Current, Active MILNER, ROBERT ALAN Primary Qualifying Agent for Business 12/16/2004 Certified Pool/Spa Contractor 08/31/2010

Verify the license on your contract, write a formal complaint to the licensing board.

To
  21st of Nov, 2008
Can you join a class action lawsuit with no $? Also, who exactly owns Extreme Gunite?
De
  22nd of Nov, 2008
First off, I'd like to say that I totally agree with all of these complaints because I'm experiencing the same problems with Down to Earth Gunnite. I signed a contract on Feb. 14, 2008 to have a pool installed and the work didn't even begin until May. By July 4th, they were approximately 95% done, but haven't been back since then. I'm having problems with a sinking paver deck, non-working salt generator, an unfinished waterfall and no final inspection. I've called many, many times over the last 5 months to have them finish the job, but haven't gotten anywhere. Then this week I was told that they would not do anything else for me and that I needed to call the original license holder (Robert Milner), who isn't even affiliated with this company anymore. He left because of the bad business practices of Down to Earth Gunnite. This totally floored me because I've paid 100% of the contract price ($32, 000) to Down To Earth Gunnite (specifically to Eddie, owner) and now they have the audacity to not finish their contract agreement with me.

I've filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and am now in the process of pursuing legal action.

It's a shame that this company can't keep their end of the bargain, especially if they're paid in advance for it. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. My email is dlpcardio@bellsouth.net and I'd be more than happy to be part of a class action lawsuit.

BTW... their current ad says that they're BBB accredited, however when I filed with the complaint with the BBB the other day, I was told that they are not accredited.
  22nd of Nov, 2008
and your not going to believe this one - they just put up a billboard ad...they are still selling pools and steeling money.
Ge
  9th of Dec, 2008
I am George Carr, and I posted a positive comment about this company previously. I have since changed my mind, and now support some of the comments mentioned on this board. I am not nor ever have been a employee of this company, I am simply a consumer who was duped by the company. I purchased a pool in an attempt to support a local small business, and the result of this attempt will probably cost me over $20, 000.00 to have my pool finished. I apologize to the person who originally posted the message, but I still cannot use the word "fraud" as it relates to this company. I can say that they have not delivered on their promise, and I can say that they have received more money from me than the value of the work that I have received from them, but the word "fraud" is up to a court to decide. I too was promised a 30 day completion for my pool project, and here I am almost 5 months later, and my pool is still not complete. At this point would I reccomend this company, absolutely not.
George G Carr
  11th of Dec, 2008
George - Sorry to hear your misfortune. It appears that they have duped us all.
  17th of Dec, 2008
If anyone out there is still experiencing problems with Down to Earth Gunite Pools. Please email me your information - I need as much information you can formward. What stage your in, how much money they have taken and all your info.

Help is on the way!

RippedOffnFla@gmail.com
  29th of Dec, 2008
Things you can start to do on your own.

1) Save all your documention, take pictures and copies of paid checks.

Eddie Johnson is using a PO Box in Lantana which is not his working address. He is physically working out of a ft. Lauderdale office 1261 SW 41st Ave, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33317

2) File a complaint to the state licensing board in tallahasse

3) File a complaint with the better business bureau

4) Call and make sure all the sub contractors have been paid. If not they can put a lien on your house and you may have to pay them.

5) File a complaint building permit office. Broward /PBC http://www.broward.org/consumer/welcome.htm

Consumer Complaint form

Also check on your building permits. When are they set to expire? you can get fined for this, so make sure you contact them and explain what is happening.
  30th of Dec, 2008
Our lawyer sent this letter to their registered agent and also to their address in Lantana. (Florida Statutes 489.126). It makes the matter criminal and not civil, and in our situation forced Down To Earth pools to re-commence work on our pool.

Dear Mr.:

Please be advised that I am writing on behalf of Mrs. and Mr. and their recent dispute regarding the construction of their pool.
The have paid the majority of the contract price for the construction of their pool. It has been over three weeks that work has ceased on this project. Pursuant to Florida Statutes 489.126, we are hereby notifying Down to Earth Gunite Pools, LLC. that the monies paid were in excess of the work performed and the contractor must re-commence construction within thirty (30) days of mailing of the notification.

Please be advised that we are also mailing this notification to the address listed on the contract as per the statute.

Should Down to Earth Gunite Pools, LLC. fail to re-commence construction, then, a referral will be made to the appropriate authorities pursuant to Florida Statutes 489.126 (4).

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Very truly yours,