Dot 5 Hosting / Illegal charges to credit card

1 Singapore Review updated:

I used this company to host my web site. However when I wanted to cut off the account, despite repeatedly asking them to do so, they have billed my credit card for another years' unwanted service. Have had to cut off my credit card and lodge a complaint with the bank.
This seems a really counterproductive way of maintaining a business - the negative publicity from practices like this have got to outweigh the $71 they might be able to scam out of unwary ex-customers.

Comments

• Ra
      22nd of Jul, 2007
    Dot 5 Hosting - They are the wost - beware!

In 7 years I have never ran into a hosting company as bad as Dot5. They don't answer emails, there tech support is a joke, if you can understand them. I canceled well within their guarantee. I had to file a dispute with my credit card company to get my money back.

If you want a good host, I recommend HostICan. So far they have been great!

• Si
      27th of Jan, 2009

They are scam outright. I heard they are Indians.

• Sk
      7th of Mar, 2009

terrible company
    if you must use them, use a credit card with a soon to expire expiration date

• Fu
      21st of Apr, 2009

I opened my credit card statement today and saw that my account has been charged $356.40 because I supposedly authorized Dot 5 Hosting Inc to host my website. The statement shows that I was charged $118.80 three times all on the same day.

I have not even heard of Dot 5 Hosting and had never contacted them or authorized them to be a web host. I called the 800 number listed on my statement and told the young girl on the phone that I needed the charges removed. I was put on hold for at least 5 minutes, and when she came back on the phone, I was told that her supervisor was willing to remove one of the $118.80 charges. Apparently, their records show that I did authorize the web hosting.

I am outraged that a company can scam people like this. If this happened to me, I know that they have scammed a lot of other people, some of whom are probably elderly and/or don't know how to fight back. Now, I have to write to my cc company & explain why I dispute the charges. I have no need for a web host, and this is outright fraud. I feel like writing every att. gen. in the country to complain.

• Jd
      1st of Jul, 2009

I too was with Dot 5 hosting and they are totally a crap company. I agree that they will charge your card without permission for they did it to me as well. I had hosting with them, my account was not setup to be charged unless I okey'd it. One day I looked at my statement and found they had charged me 3 times for approx. 18.00 dollars. When I called them about it I told them I did not authorize another 3 months of service, then told them they charged me the fee 3 times. After fighting with them for about 30 min's on the phone I did manage to get 2 of the 3 charges refunded.

Problems I had while I had my account: This is the big one people, they offer unlimited space, bandwidth, domains, and E-mail accounts, but when you get over a certain amount they start shutting down your service, threaten to shut down your account and tell you what you can have on your site & snoop into your files and information. When I called them on it they started complaining because I have 37 domains on the server, mulitable databases in MySQL and more, but they do not care if you have to move them spending hours if not days to reset them backup on a new host. Told me that I could not have pictures of any kind (Still have the E-mail with all headers), no links to sites they do not agree with, etc...

Dot 5 Servers: Now lets talk about the quality of their service, it sucks. There servers are slow, very slow and go down serveral times a month. When we moved our domains to an new hosting company, Lunarpages hosting, we could upload faster than we could download from Dot5, not that is sad. Their software is usually outdated and they do not upgrade to the latest software to protect their customers from hackers. Their support is out sourced to the Philippines to save money, they cannot speak very good english and are dumb. You have to spell out everything and even then they do not understand. Their english is so bad you have to correct them on what they are saying because they use wrong words that make no sense and they talk like a bunch of 1st graders in school, and even that is giving them some credit.

People if you have service with them do not walk away, run, and block thier IP from your computer. Their is so much more but this would be a book by the time I would be done. I am telling you to please trust me, I am telling you that you will be very sorry if you use them, I hope this helps you all and saves you some greef.