Dominic's Fine Jewelry / Ruined watch

I brought my Speidel watch in for a new battery. They replaced the battery for a$5 charge and within a few hours of returning home, my watch steamed and began holding moisture under the crystal. I had not immersed it or done anything rough. Nothing like this had happened the whole time I wore the watch until the battery was replaced. I returned to the store on the 24th of March and was told by Dominic himself that he was not responsible, or to quote "mam, I'm not the one who got it wet". He offered to send it back to Speidel (at my own cost), when I didn't think that was fair, I asked for a refund of the battery and all he would offer was a $5 store credit. As the hands of the watch rusted and seized in those few days, I can no longer use what was until they "repaired it" a perfectly good watch. Kinda feel like I went to the hospital for stiches and ended up with a heart attack!!!

Te

Comments

2nd of Apr, 2009

Hello to you i'm James The Jeweler in Atlanta, Ga and i also have my own discussions here under "JEWELRY & WATCHES" i was reading your complaint and i must tell you that in the future, NEVER LEAVE A WATCH THAT ONLY NEEDS A BATTERY REPLACED that's a 2 to 3 minute transaction. I don't approve of how you were treated and if you have a receipt from the store and it doesn't have on this receipt NO REFUNDS the store must give you a refund, because anytime a store says NO REFUNDS this also must be printed on their sales receipts.

Don't do business with this jewelry store again, and i do have a reputable watch person that is a CERTIFIED watch person here in Atlanta if you'd like to contact him, he may be able to repair your watch if you're looking to have it repaired. My watch person's name is: MILTON BEST of "BEST WATCH REPAIR" in Atlanta, Ga and his contact phone number's 404-522-5507. If you contact him let him know that James Pitts referred you to him for his watch services.

Should you have any other questions feel free to contact me and if you'd like to visit my online jewelry blogs you can at http://jamesisajeweler.blogspot.com

• Di
      31st of Jul, 2013

Hello- My comment is many watches are water resistant. Therefore your watch should of been sent out to insure it's water resistance. Once case back of a watch is opened, you have broken the seal. Or it needed a new gasket to keep mositure out. The most important is the gaskets, or 0 rings-made of rubber, nylon or Teflon which form watertight seals at the joints where the crystal, case back and crown meet the watch case. if the watch is a chronograph, the chronograph pushers will also have gaskets. . A screw-in case back, as opposed to one that pushes in, also contributes to a watch's water resistance. A screw-in crown, a feature of many divers' watches, helps prevent water getting into the case through the watch-stem hole. When it is screwed down it forms a water tight seal much like the seal between a jar and its lid. It is not recommended to wear your water resistant watch in a hot shower, sauna or hot tub. The extreme heat causes the metal parts to expand at a different rate than the rubber gaskets. This creates small openings that can allow water droplets to penetrate the watch. Sudden temperature changes are especially harsh. Take care not to jump into a cold pool after wearing your watch in the hot tub. The person who changed the battery should of let you know that he/she can not guarantee the water resistance of watch after case back is opened.