Dollarama / faulty products

1 Nova Scotia, Canada Review updated:

I am a regular shopper at Dollarama, and recently went in and purchase some paper lanterns! Now I understand that some products that you buy from Dollarama a cheaply made and that's why they're only $1.25(or whatever)! But when you buy something and it doesn't work out of the package they should at least let you exchange it! I can't help but wonder how much money this company has made selling people crap that doesn't work! It's not the money that makes me mad, it's that thought! They make LOTS of mone off of they're "no exchange, no refund" policy! I'm affraid it gives me pause as to whether or not saving a few cents off of other products it worth the gamble! I think I'll just buy it from Walmart and know that if there's a problem with the product I'll have NO PROBLEM return it!!!

Comments

• Es
      29th of May, 2010

Had the same problem at Dollarama today and to make matters worse, the clerk told me not once, but twice, that it was my fault for buying a defective item.

• Ag
      18th of Aug, 2010

Why would anyone [censor] about something that they bought at Dollarama? Like Hobbes said, you get what you pay for.

• Mi
      24th of Sep, 2010

Not all stuff sold at Dollarama is crap, I bought some Sunbeam light bulbs from a Dollarama at Square One Mall in Mississauga, Ontario and they all run strong for months.

• Ba
      23rd of Dec, 2010

The stuff may be wort $1, but the staff is wort even less or at least that is how they treated me. I went to the store in Vancouver and got overcharged by the cashier when he scanned the same item twice (she sound of the cash register when scanning was laud and clear). When I asked him to reverse the charge I was treated very rudely. The manager was even worse. Instead of apologizing and correcting the mistake, they made rude comments and acted as I was annoyingthem or it was my fault. When I asked for the name of the manager, she turned her back on me with a very strange smile on her face.
    Lessons I learned today: Watch your bill or you will overpay, do not ask for anything, do not expect to be treated as you are treated in any other store, and forget about Holliday Spirit.
    Personal lesson: Do NOT SHOP IN DOLLARAMA!!!

• Be
      15th of Jul, 2011

"You get what you pay for" is not the issue here. Dollarama is making millions of dollars selling crap and never has to accept any returns. Sure SOME of the stuff is good, which keeps people coming back. But then, for example, they will put hundreds of defective lightbulbs on the shelf. The boss says, "Yeah, just put them out. They can't return them anyways." All those lightbulbs (and other defective chairs, garbage cans, plates, combs, pens, etc, etc, etc...) fills up our landfills! And Dollarama doesn't have to take a single thing back. "It's only a dollar, " they say as they put away their millions. Hmmm, this should bother everyone. I can't believe they are getting away with this.

• Ko
      19th of Oct, 2011

Honestly, I don't hold my breath when I buy something at dollarama. Usually it's common sense to have a return policy but because it's a dollar store, generally speaking, people gernerally won't return something that they paid $1.50 for... They'd just throw it out and go to a better store anyways.
    But I see your point in a return policy, it makes sense, and people shouldn't be treated rudely about it, so I will agree with you.
    One other thing...
    Have you guys ever noticed that almost all the planters/garbage cans/storage bins have pieces missing or cracked off plastic on the tops? I tried getting planters this summer from there and I couldn't find a single undamaged one. However, I think that's what a lot of associates mean when they say "you shouldn't have bought the defective one", just because some things like the planters for instance, in plain view are damaged. Makes me wonder why they'd try to sell a damaged product and not even discount it a little bit. Smh...

• Gr
      23rd of Apr, 2012

Well OP you were stupid enough to by something that reads "Made in China"

• Gr
      23rd of Apr, 2012

****buy*****

• Do
      10th of Sep, 2012

firstly, not all dollarama stores put out bad items or do they know that some items are going to be defective. Dollarama has a recall policy and head office tells them to take the poorly product off the shelves. It is not always the stores issue, Customers come into the dollarama and rip packaging open, open sealed boxes, destroy items simply because it is the dollarama and they feel they have the right to destroy the place. The no return no exchange policy is appropriate for a dollarama. Not all dollarama employees are nasty and mean many are nice and pleasant, it is usually the destruction of their hard work and the ignorance customers give them that turn them sour and eventually quit because of it. So next time you feel like shooting off at the lips about the dollarama think how hard those people work and how terrible they are treated and disrespected by customers. Get over yourself and move on.

22nd of May, 2014

This is a new complain regarding Dollarama in Hanover Ontario. Nothing to do with the product but here's what happened. I purchased $70. worth of product, for my office and for personal use. I paid and I left. It was fairly busy, but not overwhelming for the cashiers by any means. When I arrived at home, I discovered that a lportion of my purchase was missing. Obviously, I had not received the second bag. So, naturally I called the store to report the lost bag.

The person who answered the phone, said she did not have the bag. She passed me to the manager. The manager was rude and displayed such an attitude that I actually asked her if she thought I was lying. After several minutes of explanation, I could tell she was anxious for me to just hang up and forget about it.

I had to ask HER myself if she would take my number and name in case someone turned the bag in. I thought that she should have suggested this.

I said to her that the cashier may have accidentally given the bag to the next customer. She said that didn't happen although how she knew for certain I am not sure. I asked her if this happened a lot. She said "only once before and the customer found the bag in the trunk of her car." She said it with such vehemence, that I was sure she meant that I had left it in my car as well. I didn't expect a lot from her, but I frankly, she was abrupt and showed no interest in my problem at all.

I own a business of my own. If I treated my customers this way, I would be unemployed. I didn't expect her to give me the $30. of lost items, but she might have at least offered to look under the cash counter. I will never shop at Dollarama again. A blessing in disguise, perhaps. Janice Macdonald

• Sh
      20th of May, 2015

Don't buy the plastic garden edging. I bought 20 and didn't notice that they broke as the cashier put them in a bag till I got home. I spent $33 + on garbage !!! The ones that didn't break when put in the bag, broke when I tried to gently put them in the ground even after softening the soil.
    These should be better quality even for a dollar store. They are selling them for the same price as can tire. I only went to dollar store for more variety in colour. Sigh... And all of you that are saying items are only a dollar. Yes well some or those items are only a dollar at other places too. And a dollar is a dollar and when you spend $30 on the items and they are all crap well that's not just a dollar is it?!!!
    I agree you get what you pay for but still they shouldn't break after you pay and before you leave the store.

• Cl
      14th of Jun, 2015

3 dollar for a 1gb is the full normal price for a USB and you must expect a good product. This dollarama USB flash drive garbage is not worth more than 50 cents, it should be 2 for one dollar or at most two for $1.25 plus tax. Dollarama became very rich with all kinds of garbage scams that people ignored because it was less than a dollar for a item, but today to be scammed for 3 dollars for a small s hit it is a big deal, and government are crooks too because Dollarama collect tax for them after they, Dollarama scam people.

• Me
      5th of Aug, 2015

USB memory stick does not work. Paid $3 and expected it to work because that is the average price for a 1GB USB. Many other items at this stors, though cheap, do their jobs around the household. But if you need a USB, buy it elsewhere.

• Du
      20th of Aug, 2015

Mine doesn't work either, ...rip off, ...just plastic junk.

• Ar
      23rd of Oct, 2015

Dollarama is the biggest scam in Canadian marketplace. They sell junk, don't take it back and make 100's of millions of dollars doing that. They should be ashamed of themselves.

• Re
      29th of Nov, 2015

MOST electonic/battery-operated items items they sell are defective/non-working right out of the package and they don't allow refunds. Beware!