Dollar Tree / dollar tree won't give employees a day off for a death in the family

1 Sunset Blvd.Renton, WA, United States Review updated:

I worked at the Renton Highlands Dollar Tree for a year and a half. I always went the extra mile. They would give me digusting and difficult jobs like scrubbing grime off the window sills and dusting the banner that runs around the store is at least ten feet off the ground. But I never complained until a few weeks ago. One of my really good friends was involved in a horrible car accident that left him in a coma. I had mentioned this to my co-workers and managers so they knew I was going through a difficult time already. Then, two days later, my brother passed away. I called in to tell them that with everything going on I just couldn't come in. My friend was in a coma and my brother was dead. I was told by the main assistant manager that I would have to come in because she had already called everyone else in this morning for a project. She was very rude and inconsiderate about this. I went to work completely stressed out and on the verge of a panic attack all through my shift. I spent my entire lunch break in tears. But did they care? No. After all of this unappreciativness, I went in to speak with the store manager about it and put in a two weeks notice. I told him I was being disrespected. I couldn't even take one day off when my brother died. He told me "This is a job. We don't have to." So I was forced to quit. Going to that job everyday was putting me over the edge in stress when I already had enough to worry about. The Dollar Tree is a horrible corporation. I've known this for my entire employment experience and this was just the last straw. Trust me, you do not want to work there.

Comments

• Ef
      5th of Feb, 2011

Wow, so sorry about your loss. 2010 was a horrible year for me too. I lost my father, best friend, close professor, 8 year relationship, and my house. I still came in to work. I agree with the store manager -- it's still a job and they still have a business to run, but I totally understand that some people just can't deal with their insides and need that time off to just think and mourn. I did a lot of my tearing up on breaks and before and after work; I know it sucks. But they still expect the smile as I walk into that store until I leave and I sure gave them that but it tore me up. I'm a strong person so I dealt with it well, but sometimes I did wish things could have been handled differently. Oh well, life goes on and still just another day and awakening at the Dollar Tree. Yay!