Dollar Tree

Posted: Oct 10, 2017 by

discrimination actions on my 6 years old with autism.

I was shopping at store 6416 in Brownsville Texas around the southnost area, with my autistic son. my son started to get frustrated and impaction, he had a small episode. A few seconds later the store manager got on the intercom and made a announcement that quoted: " attention parents we need to keep your kids under control and next to you at all times. and an other reminder is. that if your kids brake anything in the store you will be obligated to pay for it" This was communicated on English and Spanish. As some that she made the commends all eyes were looking at us like we are bad parents and cant control my kids. Someone that know about this condition will understands my son behaver. This was the must embarrassing thing that my son and I have gone thru on a retail store. I feel like my son was and inconvenience to the store. I fell that my son was discriminated due to his condition. I was so frustrated that I Cry and that sad part was that my son was looking at me cry and he stated to cry and apologizing to me. Do you think it was necessary for them to get on the intercom and make those type of comments !!!???????????
Updated by Juosao, Oct 10, 2017
Thank you so much for your comment. The store was not busy it was about one hour to close. we were the only family with kids in the store at that particularly time my kids are well behave I have rules when we go to public places. I worked in retail my self for over 30 years as management so I could relate with frustrations in the retail market but number one priority is customer service. For an other customer to said that they do those type of announcements often it makes me think that it a lack of training in the chain of common. Also i want to congratulate you for being your self. I pray to god that my son becomes an independent person in the future.
Complaint comments Comments (30)    Updated: Complaint country United States Complaint category Retail Stores

Comments

N  10th of Oct, 2017 by    -1 Votes
First of all thank you for posting your experience on here. I'm not sure if there were any other children "misbehaving" in the store that day, but I would imagine that the store manager (and most likely the other employees as well) had become so aggravated that they decided to take matters into their own hands. From what you've said, I agree that the store manager came across as harsh when she made her announcement over the intercom. Theft is a common occurrence at dollar stores, committed by customers and employees alike (why do you think we have such high turnover rates?), so I'm not too shocked by what she did. During orientation, my store manager told all of us that for every product that gets stolen or damaged, we need to sell 20 more products to make up for the loss. Had I been the store manager, I would've left you be, and if you felt that your son needed to take a break from shopping due to sensory overload, then that's your call. As an Autistic employee of a Dollar Tree in Massachusetts (albeit one that hasn't disclosed their diagnosis to management as it my legal right not to), I can relate to what your son felt that day as I've been subject to condescending stares and insensitive comments at various points throughout my life for behaviors I had little control over.
N  21st of Oct, 2017 by    0 Votes
@ejafda Quite the contrary. I regularly check and comment on sites like these to see how employees like myself can make shopping at Dollar Tree a more pleasant experience for our customers.
N  21st of Oct, 2017 by    0 Votes
@ejafda As I've stated previously, none of my commentary on here has been negative towards Dollar Tree. I have been very respectful to those I've responded to and explained to them how the situation would be perceived on our end as employees. Thanking them for posting what they've experienced at any given store and apologizing to them as a way of expressing sympathy for it is constructive, not destructive, for Dollar Tree's business.
D  10th of Oct, 2017 by     Best Advice +4 Votes
Honestly? My son has autism too but that's not everyone else's problem I get a babysitter or go to the store when he's in school so I dont think your in the right on this one - if he was having a melt down or being disrespectful or loud in the store it's your responsibility to remove him from that store asap
N  10th of Oct, 2017 by    -1 Votes
@Ambermn22 Please don't feel like i am looking for excuses, As you know, there are different types of autism. My son doesn't act like this, he is a calm kid. I refuse to deprave my son from public places because of peoples ignorance. I want my son to experience life as everyone is. My issues is that this situation should it be handle differently, I was the only customer with kids at the store and my son should not be treated that way in public. Thank you for your advice.
N  11th of Oct, 2017 by    -2 Votes
@ejafda ASSuming, that is you. I did not mention that my kid was running or playing in the store because he was not doing that my son was using his hand as juster and making sounds with his mouths but because you are ignorant and you like to ASSume you don"t know. HERE EDUCATE YOUR SELF, READ this then ASSume.

AUTISM SPECTRUM DISORDER include social, communication, and behavioral challenges. These problems can be mild, severe, or somewhere in between.
Unusual repetitive behaviors and/or a tendency to engage in a restricted range of activities are another core symptom of autism. Common repetitive behaviors include hand-flapping, rocking, jumping and twirling, arranging and rearranging objects, and repeating sounds, words, or phrases. Sometimes the repetitive behavior is self-stimulating, such as wiggling fingers in front of the eyes.

DISCRIMINATION The Disability Rights Section of the Civil Rights Division of the U.S. Department of Justice handles complaints of discrimination based on disability in places of public accommodation, including all hotels, restaurants, "Retail Stores", theaters, health care facilities, convention centers, parks, and places of recreation.

If you need more education about it let me know or you could continue to ASSume.
N  12th of Oct, 2017 by    -1 Votes
@ejafda Who is talking about eye contact, read right.. by the way it sounds like you type the same comments all over again. are you getting pay by comments?
@ejafda look you misspell
N  25th of Oct, 2017 by    +1 Votes
@Ambermn22 I think you are right and she is too in a way. Most everyone knows their kids and knows what they can handle form their kids. If you feel you can't handle taking your autistic child to the store and feel it would be in the best interest of yours, his and others in the store to not take him in, you are perfectly right in doing just that. I commend you as a parent for knowing and admitting that to do so might be an unpleasant experience for your child and others. However, if she feels that her son should not be denied the experience of going to stores than she has every right to do so. But the catch here is to know her and her son's limitations and to be respectful of others in the store. It's perfectly okay to take him out of the store should he seem like he needs a break. It would be the polite thing to do for all concerned. You're wanting him to experience the store should not mean that other people should be subjected to a less than pleasant experience. After all you can always take him back to the store later on. Besides if he learns to equate going to the store with a negative experience he might start to act out about going out or feel uncomfortable. I've worked in he medical profession for several years and have dealt with quite a few situations. I can tell you there is no shame in removing an autistic and or special needs person ( or any other child) from a situation if they need a break and then returning later. As for the employees in the store, I don't know if they knew that he's autistic . A lot of times parents don't take into consideration that their children's actions might make others uncomfortable because it's what's normal to them. I find that even people who have children who aren't autistic expect the world to be accepting of their children's behavior. they say oh they're just little or he or she is just that way or it's natural for a child to act out and we don't believe in disciple, timeout or removing them from a situation when they act out. It's not fair to the child, to other people in the store or even to you because you're not being truthful to yourself and admitting that maybe he needs a break. Not trying to be mean, because maybe you didn't realize that sometimes it's okay to remove him from the situation and give him time to break. Every parent loves their child and wants them to be as happy as possible and experience life to the fullest. I do hope this has not caused him to equate going out as a negative thing and that you two will have many great outings in the future. God bless!
N  25th of Oct, 2017 by    0 Votes
@smartbutterfly You must have been a bully in your life to think it is okay to harass children with disabilities. You also bullied me on my own review.
N  10th of Oct, 2017 by    +4 Votes
First of all for someone that complains about discrimination, you sure do discriminate. You discriminated against another cashier that did not look the customer in the eye. Perhaps the cashier has mild autism as well? Second the manager had no idea that your son has autism. He just sees some child running around the store and the parent not doing a thing about it. As someone else stated what if your son ran into someone and hurt them? What if he knocked over an elderly and fragile person?
N  11th of Oct, 2017 by    0 Votes
@nvdafds I ASSime that you two are related some how because you continue to defend the manager or I Assume that she is related to both of you, What a group of IDNORANT people you are.. Read this too.

N  11th of Oct, 2017 by    -1 Votes
@ejafda By the way I forgot to mention that i have video of the entire situation. including customer saying to the manager that she was wrong on the way she handle the situation, including a couple that work for the state, they gave me a few advice's on how to deal with this type of retailers that think they could make the own laws.
N  11th of Oct, 2017 by    -1 Votes
@Juosao It's funny, my husband is one of the best lawyer that I have seeing. We had a conversation last night about your issue and according to him the manager was wrong. He recommended that you lawyer your self. You should keep that video safe and don't show it, you have a case. Best of luck.
N  12th of Oct, 2017 by    -1 Votes
@ejafda wow you are so so sensitive, you even called me stupid idiot and even mention my parents, by the way they are dead. so you don't have to ASSume that. A slap on the face it sounds or i am ASSuming you are violent too. Someone did something to you in the pass that you can't control you emotion or maybe that is the reason why you can't sleep at night, I ASSume..
N  12th of Oct, 2017 by    -1 Votes
@Joanjakon Thank you and your husband for seeing my point of view. not like this other two. They like to be ignorant and called kids brats, I assume that is their job or maybe the work at the corporate office and get pay to bully people. ones again Thank you and have a bless day.
N  12th of Oct, 2017 by    -1 Votes
@ejafda It shows your mentality and how ignorant you are. Calling my autistic kid a brat. How old are you, do you even have a brain or maybe you just a [censor] with no class or maybe you are still inside a monkeys [censor], is that why
N  12th of Oct, 2017 by    -1 Votes
@ejafda Ok Max, sorry for hurting you feelings. did you had the chance to look at the new post that i send to everyone you BULLY. Don't rush you will be so happy to see your self coming out. Here it is Again. LOOK

EJAFDA is an [censor], I think this person or It is better if i say animal gets orgy by defending companies, IT IS A LOW LIFE. You are right, EJAFDA is an ignorant person, IT because i call people like this IT, IT even called my autistic kid a brat and if you go back to his profile all he does is defend companies. I think he is getting pay to be a BULLY and his favor worth is "Assume ". don't be surprise that some one else come for IT defense, IT has dummies that get in the conversation to defend IT. Don't worry one day he is going to get his head out of the monkeys [censor] that he was born from. By the way I have the knowledge and the resources to find out who IT is. IT thinks that everyone is going to go away, IT don't understands that he is using the internet and that is wide open. I will keep you inform at soon as I find out, stay in touch. LOOK CLOSE YOU MAY BE ABLE TO SEE HIS HEAD COMING OUT..
N  12th of Oct, 2017 by    +2 Votes
Unfortunately people with disabilities are mistreated as your son is. I know about these employees, one with mild autism, and one with down syndrome are being mistreated. He keeps following them around and telling them what to do. He tells them they should eat and to have their mommies cook something different for them. One of them can cook, and when she started this he accused her of pretending to be autistic so she can get money off the government. That if he really were autistic she would not be able to cook. Then he saw his down syndrome worker with a Harry Potter book, and asked who reads the book to her. SHe said she could read it herself. He accused her of pretending to have down syndrome because if she really did she would not be able to read a novel. He accused them both of lying about being disabled to get money from the government. He even made a statement in front of them, that if he had a child like them, that he would drown the child in the bathtub. When they got offended he told them to leave the room since he has the right of freedom of speech. He was reported because a friend of theirs told him to report it. He then confronted the friend and told him to mind his own business or he would force his daughter to claim that he molested her if he did not stay out of this. He even claimed his daughter would make these false claims if he threatened to inject her pet with poison and force her to watch. He has even claimed he would get someone else to abuse her and claim that it was his coworker so there is proof.
N  12th of Oct, 2017 by    0 Votes
@First Born Triplet Sorry to heard that story and thank you for you feedback. Fortunate there are good people, not like some of this replies that are rude and ignorant and like to bully people.
N  13th of Oct, 2017 by    +2 Votes
This is not discrimination. Basically the manager has to look out for the safety of other customers and employees. While I agree with you that making the announcement is going too far and he could have handled it better, you have to understand it in his point of view.

PS, I know this is off topic, but arguing with someone who is most likely 11, and calling him names shows your own maturity. I understand that afajda's comments are rude but he is most likely a child, what is your excuse for immature behavior?

Oh and before you comment. I am not the manager of the store, nor do I have any connection with Dollar Tree, or any of the posters telling you that you are wrong. I can understand you calling afajda ignorant, but the other poster made valid points. If you cannot discuss things in a civil manner then you probably should not have shard your story with us. Autistic or not it is your job as a parent to supervise your son. To keep him with you at all times.
N  17th of Oct, 2017 by    0 Votes
@ejafda Shut up 11 year old I hate when people try to be "strong" or "tough" >:[ SHUT UP ALREADY!!! P.s if you reply u are a [censor] :p

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree