Dollar Tree

Posted: Oct 10, 2017 by

discrimination actions on my 6 years old with autism.

I was shopping at store 6416 in Brownsville Texas around the southnost area, with my autistic son. my son started to get frustrated and impaction, he had a small episode. A few seconds later the store manager got on the intercom and made a announcement that quoted: " attention parents we need to keep your kids under control and next to you at all times. and an other reminder is. that if your kids brake anything in the store you will be obligated to pay for it" This was communicated on English and Spanish. As some that she made the commends all eyes were looking at us like we are bad parents and cant control my kids. Someone that know about this condition will understands my son behaver. This was the must embarrassing thing that my son and I have gone thru on a retail store. I feel like my son was and inconvenience to the store. I fell that my son was discriminated due to his condition. I was so frustrated that I Cry and that sad part was that my son was looking at me cry and he stated to cry and apologizing to me. Do you think it was necessary for them to get on the intercom and make those type of comments !!!???????????
Updated by Juosao, Oct 10, 2017
Thank you so much for your comment. The store was not busy it was about one hour to close. we were the only family with kids in the store at that particularly time my kids are well behave I have rules when we go to public places. I worked in retail my self for over 30 years as management so I could relate with frustrations in the retail market but number one priority is customer service. For an other customer to said that they do those type of announcements often it makes me think that it a lack of training in the chain of common. Also i want to congratulate you for being your self. I pray to god that my son becomes an independent person in the future.
Complaint comments Comments (49) Complaint country United States Complaint category Retail Stores

Comments

N  10th of Oct, 2017 by    +2 Votes
Now I know why you would defend a parent that cannot control and discipline her child. You are one of those parents. It does not matter if he is autistic or not you need to keep him in control and with you. If he gets hurt because of your lack of parenting then you would probably be suing. If you cannot handle your child leave him with a babysitter, or have a nanny help you with your shopping. You don't want to control your child and discipline him then you ARE BAD PARENTS. Not only that, you are also uneducated. You called me uneducated in the other review, when you ASSumed that I was the employee that corrected the other mother's children. The whole point is if you are unwilling to make your child behave then don't shop with them. Non one needs to get hurt because your child is running around.If your child got hurt running around you would sue, even though you were not supervising him. Hold his hand. Stop using his autism as an excuse for your bad parenting. You called me uneducated, but your spelling and grammar is terrible. I am sure even your six year old son would not make the same mistakes you made because he is smarter than you. If you were not an imbecile you would realize that if you are not going to control your kids that they have to tell you to DO YOUR JOB, so they don't end up sued if your brat runs hurts themselves or someone else.
N  10th of Oct, 2017 by    -2 Votes
@ejafda Is you again, are you felling hurt, it look like you came out of a monkeys [censor]. you have some angry issues. It looks like you like to educate parents. You should go back to school and study that field because you wasted your money on what ever education you have. By the way I hope god give you healthy kids in your future so you could understand what love is and you could stop being a hater. also you wasted your time replying because I get comments from ignorant, mentally distress and selfish people like you. Who HURT YOU, WHO BULLY YOU. Some times is better to get help from an expert for your issues. By the way My son is an honor student, number one in his class and going to a school for gifted kids. He is going to be a plus for society and not like you that wasted your and your parents time and money.
N  10th of Oct, 2017 by    -1 Votes
@ejafda Agreed! Coming from a mother of an autistic little boy
N  12th of Oct, 2017 by    0 Votes
@Juosao I you were doing a good job of raising your child I would not be educating you. Now you made a seventh lie about me. That I was bullied, simply for telling you that you are doing a poor job of raising your child. I am not a hater. What if your child hurt someone because you did not correct him. EIght Then you claim I am not going to be good in society, ninth lie. Tenth, you are ASSuming I wasted my parents time and money. At least they did not commit suicide because they are ashamed of me.
N  10th of Oct, 2017 by    +2 Votes
Also you imbecile, it is spelled behavior, or behaviour if you are in the UK. Guess you are the uneducated one.
N  10th of Oct, 2017 by    -2 Votes
@ejafda wow. you are educated.
N  10th of Oct, 2017 by    0 Votes
@Juosao You are not educated.
N  10th of Oct, 2017 by    +3 Votes
Also no one is discriminating against him. They only one discriminating against your son is you for using his disability for getting away with bad behavior. I they were discriminating against him they would let him run around the store and cause trouble while they stopped other kids. Nope you just want your son to get special treatment because of autism, and when he does not you claim discrimination. Well guess what if your son gets special and preferred treatment because of autism he is being discriminated against, only it benefits him so you do not consider that discrimination.
N  10th of Oct, 2017 by    -2 Votes
@ejafda perfect, thank you for putting your education to use. What a waste of resources... You should go back and become a human right lawyer. Ones again what a waste... GROW UP
N  10th of Oct, 2017 by    +2 Votes
@Juosao You are the one that need to grow up and start disciplining your child. You accuse me of working for Family Dollar, you misspell simple words. You have no right being a parent. Apparently you cannot understand that you should not allow your son to run around in the store, incase he gets hurt or hurts someone else. If he got hurt you would be the first to sue even though you are the one that caused him to get hurt. Grow up, and discipline your child. You are in the wrong here. You cannot handle being a parent than don't have kids.
N  10th of Oct, 2017 by    -1 Votes
First of all thank you for posting your experience on here. I'm not sure if there were any other children "misbehaving" in the store that day, but I would imagine that the store manager (and most likely the other employees as well) had become so aggravated that they decided to take matters into their own hands. From what you've said, I agree that the store manager came across as harsh when she made her announcement over the intercom. Theft is a common occurrence at dollar stores, committed by customers and employees alike (why do you think we have such high turnover rates?), so I'm not too shocked by what she did. During orientation, my store manager told all of us that for every product that gets stolen or damaged, we need to sell 20 more products to make up for the loss. Had I been the store manager, I would've left you be, and if you felt that your son needed to take a break from shopping due to sensory overload, then that's your call. As an Autistic employee of a Dollar Tree in Massachusetts (albeit one that hasn't disclosed their diagnosis to management as it my legal right not to), I can relate to what your son felt that day as I've been subject to condescending stares and insensitive comments at various points throughout my life for behaviors I had little control over.
D  10th of Oct, 2017 by    +3 Votes
Honestly? My son has autism too but that's not everyone else's problem I get a babysitter or go to the store when he's in school so I dont think your in the right on this one - if he was having a melt down or being disrespectful or loud in the store it's your responsibility to remove him from that store asap
N  10th of Oct, 2017 by    -1 Votes
@Ambermn22 Please don't feel like i am looking for excuses, As you know, there are different types of autism. My son doesn't act like this, he is a calm kid. I refuse to deprave my son from public places because of peoples ignorance. I want my son to experience life as everyone is. My issues is that this situation should it be handle differently, I was the only customer with kids at the store and my son should not be treated that way in public. Thank you for your advice.
N  10th of Oct, 2017 by    +1 Votes
@Ambermn22 Thank you, this person along with other parents do not want to discipline their kids. If their kids cannot behave in public keep them at home. I feel bad for the kid having the OP as a mother, she is rude to everyone that disagrees with her. She is uneducated. She does not seem to understand that if her son get hurt or hurts someone else it result in a lawsuit. Even though this was explained to her she still insults and calls me childish when she cannot discipline her child. She used his autism as an excuse. Mistakes him not getting prefered treatment as "discrimination". If the child cannot behave in public then for his own safety and the safety of other she should leave him alone. She is not a good parent. A bad role model to her child and probably does not even try to discipline him. If he is overstimulated she can easily keep him distracted. No one is ignorant to your son, you are simply not disciplining him. A "calm" kid does not run around the store. If your child was calm the manager would not have to make that comment. When I told another negligant parent that they were wrong you lied and said that I was the manager in question. If you were not such an imbecile you would see that I have replies to many different companies, and work for none mentioned on this site. You need a good slap across the face for lying about me working there. It is real immature of you to ASSume that I am the manager in question. Grow up, if you cannot take care of your child place him for adoption. You are looking for an excuse. Ambern22, is not using her son's disability as an excuse. Grow up, and start disciplining your kid. The manager would not have had to make the announcement if he were well behaved. If he cannot behave in public then he should not be in public places. Keep him occupied. Stop making excuses. You don't want your son to be mistreated, than do your job as a parent and stop him from running around the store.
N  10th of Oct, 2017 by    +1 Votes
@Ambermn22 But she does not want to do that, she does not want to do her job as a parent. Then if a random stranger tells her that she is wrong she gets rude, and makes lies about them, claiming they work for the company.
N  11th of Oct, 2017 by    -2 Votes
@ejafda ASSuming, that is you. I did not mention that my kid was running or playing in the store because he was not doing that my son was using his hand as juster and making sounds with his mouths but because you are ignorant and you like to ASSume you don"t know. HERE EDUCATE YOUR SELF, READ this then ASSume.

AUTISM SPECTRUM DISORDER include social, communication, and behavioral challenges. These problems can be mild, severe, or somewhere in between.
Unusual repetitive behaviors and/or a tendency to engage in a restricted range of activities are another core symptom of autism. Common repetitive behaviors include hand-flapping, rocking, jumping and twirling, arranging and rearranging objects, and repeating sounds, words, or phrases. Sometimes the repetitive behavior is self-stimulating, such as wiggling fingers in front of the eyes.

DISCRIMINATION The Disability Rights Section of the Civil Rights Division of the U.S. Department of Justice handles complaints of discrimination based on disability in places of public accommodation, including all hotels, restaurants, "Retail Stores", theaters, health care facilities, convention centers, parks, and places of recreation.

If you need more education about it let me know or you could continue to ASSume.
N  12th of Oct, 2017 by    +1 Votes
@Juosao You are the one that is a bad parent. Now you are changing your story. Grow up. You are just using your son's disability as an excuse, yet in another review you are discriminating against an employee for not having eye contact. That employee could very well be autistic. I hope one day your son is harassed based on his disability the way you sided with the customer in that complaint because he did not make eye contact. Then you will know how it feels. Your son was obviously doing something that caused concern, and you were doing nothing to correct him because you are a terrible parent who refuses to discipline your child.
N  12th of Oct, 2017 by    -1 Votes
@ejafda Who is talking about eye contact, read right.. by the way it sounds like you type the same comments all over again. are you getting pay by comments?
N  12th of Oct, 2017 by    +1 Votes
@Juosao I was talking abou other comments you imbecile. On another complaint. On another review someone complained about an employee not making eye contact. You took the customer's side on that review. I you were not illiterate you would realize this. Three lies that you told about me because mommy did not raise you right. 1. That I am the manager of the Dollar Tree. 2. That I am related to the manager of Dollar Tree and people that told you that you are wrong. 3. That I get paid to post these comments. How much are you going to ASSume about me. The whole point is your son is a brat, and you are all against discrimination against him, yet you can discriminate against others. Since your parents did not raise you right, you are doing a poor job of raising your son. Also what if your brat hurt a elderly or disabled person because you did not control him.
@ejafda look you misspell
N  10th of Oct, 2017 by    +2 Votes
First of all for someone that complains about discrimination, you sure do discriminate. You discriminated against another cashier that did not look the customer in the eye. Perhaps the cashier has mild autism as well? Second the manager had no idea that your son has autism. He just sees some child running around the store and the parent not doing a thing about it. As someone else stated what if your son ran into someone and hurt them? What if he knocked over an elderly and fragile person?
N  11th of Oct, 2017 by    +1 Votes
@nvdafds I saw that letter, funny how she does not see that that employee could have a good reason for not making eye contact, yet she claims her son is being discriminated against.
N  11th of Oct, 2017 by    +1 Votes
@nvdafds Plus the whole thing is not about her son's autism. It is about her allowing him to run amuck in the store and not correcting him. She is an imbecile and cannot see this. I have seen parents who have children with severe disabilities talk to their children. Tell them to stop their behavior. Take them outside to calm down. Have them sit and count to ten, whatever works. She just refuses to discipline her son. If I had an elderly and fragile grandmother and her son hurt her because she refused to control him I would take her to court and have her pay the medical bills. Maybe that will teach her to discipline her child. I am not saying she should spank him, or use corporal punishment. Just if he is acting up, make him, stop, keep him occupied, and if it comes to the worst, have him leave the store until he calms down. She thinks her child should not be deprived of shopping with her, well the rest of us don't need to put up with a screaming child that is running around the store. As you stated, elderly and fragile grandmothers do not need to be knocked over because she cannot control her child.
N  11th of Oct, 2017 by    -1 Votes
@nvdafds I ASSime that you two are related some how because you continue to defend the manager or I Assume that she is related to both of you, What a group of IDNORANT people you are.. Read this too.

N  11th of Oct, 2017 by    -1 Votes
@ejafda By the way I forgot to mention that i have video of the entire situation. including customer saying to the manager that she was wrong on the way she handle the situation, including a couple that work for the state, they gave me a few advice's on how to deal with this type of retailers that think they could make the own laws.
N  11th of Oct, 2017 by    -1 Votes
@Juosao It's funny, my husband is one of the best lawyer that I have seeing. We had a conversation last night about your issue and according to him the manager was wrong. He recommended that you lawyer your self. You should keep that video safe and don't show it, you have a case. Best of luck.
N  12th of Oct, 2017 by    +1 Votes
@Juosao How stupid are you to think that because we sided with the manager that we are related. I am not related to the manager you stupid idiot. None of us are related to the manager. No wonder you are a terrible mother, your own mother did not do a good job and raise your right. If she did raise you right you would not be ASSuming that we know each other, or the manager. No wonder you cannot discipline your child, your parent did not raise you right. What you need is a good slap across the face for being so stupid and ASSuming that because we are siding with the manager because you cannot control your little brat that we are related.
N  12th of Oct, 2017 by    +1 Votes
@ejafda How does she have a case. This person is nothing but a liar, who accuses people of being the manager and being related to the manager. If she were not an imbecile she would see that we are all from different states. She just refuses to discipline he brat. Autistic or not he is a brat
N  12th of Oct, 2017 by    -1 Votes
@ejafda wow you are so so sensitive, you even called me stupid idiot and even mention my parents, by the way they are dead. so you don't have to ASSume that. A slap on the face it sounds or i am ASSuming you are violent too. Someone did something to you in the pass that you can't control you emotion or maybe that is the reason why you can't sleep at night, I ASSume..
N  12th of Oct, 2017 by    -1 Votes
@Joanjakon Thank you and your husband for seeing my point of view. not like this other two. They like to be ignorant and called kids brats, I assume that is their job or maybe the work at the corporate office and get pay to bully people. ones again Thank you and have a bless day.
N  12th of Oct, 2017 by    -1 Votes
@ejafda It shows your mentality and how ignorant you are. Calling my autistic kid a brat. How old are you, do you even have a brain or maybe you just a [censor] with no class or maybe you are still inside a monkeys [censor], is that why
N  12th of Oct, 2017 by    +1 Votes
@Juosao The only IDNORANT person is you. Also if you are going to call someone "ignorant" at least spell it right you imbecile. Grow up, just because someone calls you out for your terrible parenting does not mean that they are ignorant, or as the imbecile spells it IDNORANT.
N  12th of Oct, 2017 by    +1 Votes
@Juosao Now you are telling a fourth lie, I work for corporate. You claim that your little brat was not running around the store. But since you already stated four lies about me. 1. I was the manager of Dollar Tree. 2. I know the manager and the other poster. 3. I an being paid to write this. 4. I work for corporation. No wonder your child is a brat. You were not raised right, so how can you raise your child right. Your son is probably autistic because you were drinking while pregnant with him.
N  12th of Oct, 2017 by    0 Votes
@Juosao I bet your parents killed themselves with how you turned out to be. I can sleep at night this is the fifth lie you have claimed about me. SIxth lie, you claim that someone did something to me that I cannot control myself. I can control myself just fine. It is you who cannot control yourself. I bet your parents either killed themselves, or were killed in a drunk driving accident because you were drunk. I can sleep perfectly well at night, and your parents are probably rolling over in their graves with such shame at how you turned out and at how you are raising your child. They did no even bother to send you to school. They ever taught you right from wrong. If they did you would not make six lies about me. DId they even bother to send you tos school, because you sound" IDNORANT." Yeah people I can spell Ignorant, I am just copying how this imbecile spelled it. Funny insulting me and everyone that tells her she is wrong as ignorant when she cannot spell it. Just shows how immature she is. No wonder she cannot discipline her child, she is like a huge child herself.
N  12th of Oct, 2017 by    0 Votes
@ejafda Ok Max, sorry for hurting you feelings. did you had the chance to look at the new post that i send to everyone you BULLY. Don't rush you will be so happy to see your self coming out. Here it is Again. LOOK

EJAFDA is an [censor], I think this person or It is better if i say animal gets orgy by defending companies, IT IS A LOW LIFE. You are right, EJAFDA is an ignorant person, IT because i call people like this IT, IT even called my autistic kid a brat and if you go back to his profile all he does is defend companies. I think he is getting pay to be a BULLY and his favor worth is "Assume ". don't be surprise that some one else come for IT defense, IT has dummies that get in the conversation to defend IT. Don't worry one day he is going to get his head out of the monkeys [censor] that he was born from. By the way I have the knowledge and the resources to find out who IT is. IT thinks that everyone is going to go away, IT don't understands that he is using the internet and that is wide open. I will keep you inform at soon as I find out, stay in touch. LOOK CLOSE YOU MAY BE ABLE TO SEE HIS HEAD COMING OUT..
N  12th of Oct, 2017 by    +1 Votes
@Joanjakon This lady does not have an issue. What does your "husband" have to say about reliability, for instance if he son hurts someone because she is not watching. What if her brat gets hurt and sues?
N  12th of Oct, 2017 by    0 Votes
@ejafda I mean and she sues. She calls me ignorant when she cannot even spell it correct. I have a strong feeling that you are only siding with her because her son is disabled or because you hate men because you were possibly abused by your father I could be wrong. If she were the one that is innocent and a saint, why is her comments not showing up. Why is she being banned?
N  12th of Oct, 2017 by    0 Votes
If you want your son to become independent, then when he is doing wrong correct him so he knows what behavior is not acceptable.
N  12th of Oct, 2017 by    0 Votes
Also set a good example, for example don't lie and claim someone works for the company or is related to the manager or each other because they don't see things your way. You basically hate this store because they said something about your brat. However when another customer made a complaint about not making eye contact(and that employee could also be autistic which could be the reason) you said that the customer was was right there. How would you feel if your son did not make eye contact and some imbecile like you or the OP in the other complaint judge him based on that? It is okay to discriminate, as long as it is not towards your brat.
N  12th of Oct, 2017 by    0 Votes
@ejafda How much did you got pay for this one? I hope not much because it sounds just like the other ones. Get some new material and get your head out of the monkey [censor] and do your job right [censor].
N  12th of Oct, 2017 by    0 Votes
You do realize that your replies are not showing up because the administrators have flagged you for your rude replies right. Try logging out and seeing if your reply appear here. It only shows up on your account but if you log out you won't see your replies.
N  12th of Oct, 2017 by    0 Votes
@ejafda Did you apologized yet, let me know..
N  12th of Oct, 2017 by    0 Votes
I bet you posted another IDNORANT reply. I wonder how many more lies you are going to tell about me.
N  12th of Oct, 2017 by    0 Votes
@ejafda I see my post nice and clear..
@ejafda everyone is looking they will see you BULLING TECHNICS
N  12th of Oct, 2017 by    +2 Votes
Unfortunately people with disabilities are mistreated as your son is. I know about these employees, one with mild autism, and one with down syndrome are being mistreated. He keeps following them around and telling them what to do. He tells them they should eat and to have their mommies cook something different for them. One of them can cook, and when she started this he accused her of pretending to be autistic so she can get money off the government. That if he really were autistic she would not be able to cook. Then he saw his down syndrome worker with a Harry Potter book, and asked who reads the book to her. SHe said she could read it herself. He accused her of pretending to have down syndrome because if she really did she would not be able to read a novel. He accused them both of lying about being disabled to get money from the government. He even made a statement in front of them, that if he had a child like them, that he would drown the child in the bathtub. When they got offended he told them to leave the room since he has the right of freedom of speech. He was reported because a friend of theirs told him to report it. He then confronted the friend and told him to mind his own business or he would force his daughter to claim that he molested her if he did not stay out of this. He even claimed his daughter would make these false claims if he threatened to inject her pet with poison and force her to watch. He has even claimed he would get someone else to abuse her and claim that it was his coworker so there is proof.
N  12th of Oct, 2017 by    0 Votes
@First Born Triplet Sorry to heard that story and thank you for you feedback. Fortunate there are good people, not like some of this replies that are rude and ignorant and like to bully people.
N  13th of Oct, 2017 by    0 Votes
This is not discrimination. Basically the manager has to look out for the safety of other customers and employees. While I agree with you that making the announcement is going too far and he could have handled it better, you have to understand it in his point of view.

PS, I know this is off topic, but arguing with someone who is most likely 11, and calling him names shows your own maturity. I understand that afajda's comments are rude but he is most likely a child, what is your excuse for immature behavior?

Oh and before you comment. I am not the manager of the store, nor do I have any connection with Dollar Tree, or any of the posters telling you that you are wrong. I can understand you calling afajda ignorant, but the other poster made valid points. If you cannot discuss things in a civil manner then you probably should not have shard your story with us. Autistic or not it is your job as a parent to supervise your son. To keep him with you at all times.
N  13th of Oct, 2017 by    -1 Votes
@pIutonium14@pobox.com That is what I a saying this is not discrimination, and her son is a brat. No wonder he got it from her. Also she claimed her parents were in the store with them. Then she claimed they are dead. Unless they died a day later, she is lying.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree