Dollar Rent A Car — fraudulent unethical toll charges
I was horrified to find I received a bill for $76 yesterday for $1 of tolls assessed to my car during the one day I was driving a Dollar rental car during my recent trip to Florida. I made every attempt to pay tolls in cash during my recent trip. However, due to Florida's all electronic system, where in areas there is only an electronic charge, and those from out of town have no way to pay, and may not even be aware a charge is being assessed. I had charges of .25, .25, and .50, a total of $1 in fees. Dollar then proceeded to add $25 fee to each charge, sending me a bill for $76. (2900% of the charges that would be assessed by the state of Florida) When I talked to Dollar, they reduced the fee to $16, but this is still 600% of the costs that would have been assessed by the state of Florida. (Florida assesses a $2.50 per 30 day administrative fee for out of state drivers)
This practice seems highly unethical, fraudulent; since their total pure profit from this practice is more than the cost of renting the car, and I would appreciate your looking into ways this practice can be addressed.
Avoid Dollar, ...and be very careful about renting a car in Florida. Apparently you can buy transponders for the toll system in the supermarket, but I was not aware I needed one. Buyer, and DOLLAR former customer, beware!
More Dollar Rent A Car Complaints & Reviews
- Dollar Rent A Car - tricked into extra charges 
- Dollar Rent A Car - car rental extras 
- Dollar Rent A Car - ldw scam 
- Dollar Rent A Car - horrible customer treatment 
- Dollar Rent A Car - damage claim
- Dollar Rent A Car - coupons promised after poor service but none received
- Dollar Rent A Car - overcharged 
- Dollar Rent A Car - unethical / business practices 
- Dollar Rent A Car - was charged $431.84 for car ins. I did not require 
- Dollar Rent A Car - agregious fees