Dollar General Store / mis priced item/refusal to refund

345 E Highland BlvdInverness, FL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 352-726-7997
On Wednesday Nov.26, 2008 I purchased several items at Dollar General Store on E Highland Blvd. in Inverness, FL. (Store # 01392) I noticed the price that was marked on the shelf for child cough and runny nose medicine was $2 ea. and I purchased 2 of those items which is all that was left on the shelf at the time. Once I got home with my purchases I decided to check my cash register receipt as I normally do due to finding errors 75% of the time regardless of the retailer. These errors are never in my favor (imagine that) mere coincidence, not a chance as this has been the norm for as long as I can recall, which is years. I noticed that the two items were on my receipt for $2.25 each. Since I live about 6 miles from the store I decided to wait and take the receipt back the next time I was in the area of the store since making a special trip back at the time would cost more in gasoline than the amount I was due as a refund. The next time I was in the area of the store was on Friday Nov. 28, the day after Thanksgiving, only 2 days after my purchase. I showed the error to the girl working there and she even verified the mistake by checking the price tag on the shelf. She told me that since she was not the store manager she would be unable to refund my overcharged amount and questioned why I would wait 2 days to come back to the store. I explained that I didn't notice the error until I was home and I sure wasn't driving 12 miles round trip to get a 50 cent refund since It would take about $2 in gas to make the trip just for a 50 cent refund. She said she could call the manager at home and see what she said and so I ask her to please do that. She made the call and I was standing beside her when she explained the problem to the manager over the phone. When she finished the call she told me that she would be unable to do my refund unless I were to bring the actual items back to the store for scanning. I could not believe such a comment since I had the actual receipt in my hand and the items were scanned at the time of purchase and marked accordingly on the paper receipt. Also I could not believe they would ask me to make yet another trip to the store at a cost far greater than the amount due me. I asked when the manager would be in and if she would write down the store phone number and the manager's name so I could give her a call when she was in, which would be tomorrow (Sat. Nov 29). When I returned home I was furious and I tried to find a way to contact the corporate headquarters to no avail. Granted my overcharge total amount was only 50 cents but that's still my money and I am getting sick and tired of retailers ripping me off for 5o cents here and 50 cents there and I am only 1 person. I can imagine how many people are being ripped off unknowingly simply because they fail to check their cash register receipts. Dollar General needs to hire people with a better attitude and perhaps a little higher IQ as those people are total idiots!

Comments

Re
  20th of Aug, 2011
Let me claify something about DG employees!! We're not stupid and we're not idiots! Yes, it's frustrating when the shelf price and the actual price that rings up on the receipt is different and hear this: THE DG EMPLOYEES DO NOT HAVE CONTROL OVER THE PRICES!!! I work for DG and of course, it's frustrating for us because the system knows way before they send us the price changes! The reason the cashier needed you to bring back the purchase to the store is because it has to be scanned back into the system plus we're not authorized to perform ANY price overrides . Yes, we get tired of prices going up, but that's the way the economy is right now!! Like I said earlier, we don't have any control over the price increases!! Sorry you had trouble, but it happens everywhere else!! Have a good day!

Dollar General Logo Dollar General