Dollar General / discrimination by dm

1 soperton, United States Review updated:
Phone: 912 529 6001

Yes i was employed by DG for 1 year . During that year i gave it my everything. We experienced the pleasure of receiving a new DM. ON my first day meeting her she incinuted that I was lying to her by jobs that I had done around the store. I stayed employed for 6 months taking the constant complaints of me not doing my job well enough to suit her. I was 3rd key holder and went above and beyond my duties but when I was refused the job of Asst. Mgr. because she "did not like me" and I had to train the new Asst. Mgr. to be, plus the new trainee was going to receive more per hour than I ...that was the last straw...It was not a work related decesion to hold my promotion back but a personal one and I feel that someone in the DM position should have more self control than to let personal feeling of dislike overide a manager decision

DG
store 10178

Comments

• Lo
      30th of Aug, 2008

DG
    store 10178

• Zs
      24th of Sep, 2008

OK, you said you refused the job? Are you just confused or are you telling a lie??? Just wondering.

2nd of Jul, 2009

LorRae - And you did NOTHING to inspire this dislike? I find that more than a little difficult to believe.

You stated, "...someone in the DM position should have more self control than to let personal feeling of dislike overide a manager decision." REALLY??? What world do YOU live in??? People are governed by their emotions all the time, no matter what position they hold. Maybe they SHOULD be dispassionate, but they're not. They can manufacture and corporate policy reason they want to get rid of you, although underneath it all, they are driven by their emotions.

• Ls
      26th of Oct, 2009

Wow, I also worked hard for a year with Dollar General at store 3728 in Orlando, FL. We had a store manager run away with ten grand of the companies money. Then an employee came in one evening and held the store up with customers in it. I was amazed. The employ was suspected of theft with evidence against him. You would have thought that loss prevention would have been on top of him but nope, they kept him on the schedule for another week and he robbed the store. AND THEN, the district manager Doug Benjamin goes and says to me that he believes I discriminately caused the store to get robbed when customers asked what happened to the employee. I said, "he got fired" Are you kidding, those are definately words to grant a robbery. I was terminated three days after I disputed what the DM said to me. Anyway after working so dilligently and most of all honestly for dollar general I was appalled by their actions and am currently trying to boycott their stores here in Orlando, Florida.

Thanx

• Na
      29th of Oct, 2009

I wish that there was some where a customer could go to complaine about the abuses toward the employees at the Dollar General stores by the company it's self and the District Managers.
    I've been going to the Dollar General in Liberty, N.C. for 14 years.
    In so many years, you see a lot of employees come and go, then you grow used to the ones who have been there any where from 4 years to a little over 11 years.
    These same people are the ones that you actually drive on past Family Dollar or the Food Lion to do your shopping to see because there's something in their personality or just the way they have with their customers.
    For several months now, I've watched managers move in and out of this store.
    We've watched the store be turned up-side down and inside out.
    One new manager in the beginning of the summer, for some reason, began gunning for one of the key holders, using a young, troubled boy to get rid of her.
    The problem with that plan was that most of Liberty has known this boy since early elementary school and has dealt with him on one level or another, and the ones of us he talked to were listening to what he was saying. He's very impressionable, and had bragged about being in love with the new manager, and had told of going out to eat with this particular person, The new manager told him that with his help(in getting rid of this one employee), they would clean out the old employee's and bring in the one's that could be trusted and that he would be made a key holder.
    The boy also bragged about them talking on the phone when they weren't in the store together or out doing things. He bragged about having the home & cell phone numbers of this individual. We didn't believe him ao he gladly showed us. At this point, we started listening and watching.
    Through all of this, the hours got crazier & crazier, this 1st new manager started pulling things off the shelves, pulling everything out of the stock room, and went on a hiring spree. He seemed to be targeting a couple of the employees and really picking on the one that the young boy was telling all of us was soon to be history and giving all of the 3 longest employeed there impossible demands and tasks to meet. come truck day, they didn't have any where to put anything.
    Sure enough, before long, $50 some dollars came up missing out of the 1 said persons' till.
    They called her in to fire her claiming to have watched the survellance tapes and asked for her keys.
    She refused to take it with out first seeing the tapes her self. Upon watching the one for the day in Question ( with the manager who claimed he & the DM had already viewed it!) the play back clearly showed her and another employee go back into the store and put up stock while the boy who kept bragging that they (he & the manager) were about to make their move, went over to her register, picked up a phone card and ring it up on her til. They didn't fire her or the others yet. When she asked the DM about this, he told her to leave this person alone or else (the manager) she would be leaving.
    Later, for some reason, the new manager bonded with one of the employees who had been on the hit list, so she at least had it a little easier for a short while.
    He told her one night that if anything came up, he would deny everything!
    He soon quit. Then all kinds of craziness started getting crazier. Not to mention that the one they were after to start with thought that she had hung the phone up after giving her nightly report to the DM, and was sort of joking and saying " no, I don't hope you have a great night! an I wish he would stop asking about that literacy fund box, what am I supposed to do? hold the customers up to put money into it? I already bought candy out of my own pocket to put next to it so if people took candy, they had to put money into the box. It don't say where the money's used, it's not like you see signs up in any of the public buildings saying reading classes at the elementary school partially funded by your local Dollar General! Then she made a joke about maybe it's actually their retirement fund. That's what I've heard some of the customers say!
    Not only did she not hang the phone up, but thae entire incidence was being recorded!
    Just bad luck for her all the way around!! A few weeks later, after all the cashiers started really pressing the customers to contribute to the fund, some one asked out right, "where does the money really go?' They kept looking and googled it.
    It doesn't go back into the community, it's sent to Syracuse N.Y.
    This particular DM (and I will call him by name) took an instant dislike to her and one other employee because of their looks and clothes and the company wanted to get rid of a 3rd one because of her age(3rd one has been there for 11 years and is like 62) all three of them were about to start costing them money for vacations or retirement or profit sharing. As far as looks, one had to wear slacks cut off below the knees is a 2+ or 3+, is the only one working for now due to back surgery and what at first they thought was cancer(her husband) and they have a minor child. The othe is the hardest working person you would ever meet and looking at her, you can tell that she's had a hard life.(Not drugs or anything) Just a hard worker who works as long as it takes, is under weight from stress and from helping 2 family members meet Dr.s appt.s and deal with Hospice, on top of losing her step-daughter and dealing with the emotional blow to all involved and her own feelings, as she had had the girl since she was about 6. The 3rd, I guess just her age.
    She's not slow, she's a pretty sharp dresser, quite lovely, it's just, our guess, she's about to start costing the company money.
    The manager finally quit and went back as a regular clerk at a different store making the statement to the one he bonded with, "If I go down, I'm taking plenty with me!"
    So something had been going on and it wasn't over. Here come thhis girl from another store with the gleam of manager position on the near horizon in her eye. Again, things pulled from shelves lined up throughout the store like a childs boxes lined up playing cho-cho, and all the stock in the stock room needing to be put up. Again, here comes the truck but no room in the stock room for new stock! Instead of having them front and put up stock, they're having to re-shelve and move existing stock, sweep and mop and mark all kinds of stuff down. I was in there and 2 of them were working their hind ends off and one made the remark, " come on, we better clock back in!" The new people (2 women), were doing something, but you still couldn't find what you came in for and had to go to another store, and the tension in the store was so thick that you could cut it with a knife.
    The employees weren't the same friendley people and you could read stress all over all of them. someone started taking tapes home watching them for any little thing.
    A frien of mine called me on Sunday and said that she asked where everyone was and that an employee told her that they had been layed off for using coupons to steal from the store. I called one of the women and she said that a couple of them used coupons and like at the grocery store, where a coupon will say Red Baron singles pizzas so much off, but you buy the large instead, it goes ahead and takes the coupon, , they had done that with some P&G goupons and an air freshner product. She said that the computer scanned it and took it with out any problem so they didn't know that they would get into any trouble for it. Then she said that because I'm in there so much that they asked her about me and what I did with the stuff that I get? She told them that I make baskets and donate things to send in for the shoe boxes that my church sends. The coupons that I used were all buy one get one or buy two get one. I want them to ask me, because all of my purchases were by the specifications on the coupons. I'll also tell them and I have proof, that my ride would drop me off to do my shopping while they ran their errands, and that I would walk around the store and front and pick up trash so that the ones working could do some of the other stuff on their lists. I even told the woman who thought that she was going to be the manager of that store that I sometimes did this. She told me to help my self! I hope that these ladies don't take this laying down because the last I heard, what this district manager, (He really did have a vendetta on these women, especially the one) the manager and the other two women were doing is called discrimination, harrassment and slander! I truely hope that they all 3 get an attorney. I know a really good one. I've known him simce I was 16, he's been a friend of mine for over 30 years and he is now pretty famous thanks to the Greensboro, Clan Nazi Ralleys!
    If they so much as utter my name( the one's running their mouthes at the store) I'll hit them with a slander suit so fast they won't know what hit them.
    If their's a thief, it would be management at Dollar General. While they were scanning those tapes looking for something to get these women on, they would surely have seen all the employee's working with out breaks and have noticed 2 of the women working off the clock through their luncjes. Two employees had alreadt quit because they weren't allowed to take a break or lunch. This was after 4-9 hour shifts!

A fed up, disgusted customer
    Who spent several hundred dollars per month
    in Dollar General, who refuses to ever step foot
    in another Dollar General, much less spend another red cent in any of them!
    Who would like to see more boycott Dollar General for abuse and unfair treatment of loyal employees.
    All of this little vendetta at a time when a job is the hardest thing to come by.