Dollar General / accused/threatened

1 NY, United States Review updated:

I walked into a local DG to be welcomed by a new young employee. I headed to the back looking to see if they had any Hot Wheels for their two for one Thanksgiving sale. When I turned around this employee told me I had to leave. I asked why, and he told me they have me on camera going into the back and stealing a cell phone. I couldn't believe this because it is absolutely not true and I become offended when accused of something I did not do. I looked him in the face and claimed to be innocent and that if he really had me on video to call the cops which I'm pretty sure he did not do. I left the store and he smirked in a way that gave me the feeling that he was the one who might have stolen this cell phone, apparently from a worker out of the back room. Now I should be honest here. I regularly stop in this store and check for new Hot Wheels. I also sometimes pop my head into the back room to see if I spot any cases on the carts. However, I have NEVER nor would I EVER steal anything. I'm upset over the accusation that I would be robbing a dollar store. I am a college educated professional and am personally offended. I am considering my options about complaining but, after finding this forum and reading the horror stories from former employees, I think it might be best to not give Dollar General my hard earned dollar instead.

Comments

• Ho
      25th of Nov, 2010

He was standing with the manager when the employee welcomed me. I think after he welcomed me the manager sent him to me.

25th of Nov, 2010

Claims to have video but, refused to show me it. You would think if they had video the cops would be there.

25th of Nov, 2010

Wow what great advice. How about I just spend my money where it is welcomed?

25th of Nov, 2010

You are obviously missing the point of being accused of stealing something that I did not steal. Actually that employee was probably covering his own ###. His smirk when I left gave me the impression that he was the thief.

25th of Nov, 2010

I'm telling you I didn't steal. I wouldn't be trying to clear my name if I did. Just like td577 says, who would steal a cell phone? If you stole one, it would just get disconnected then if you went to get it connected you would most likely get busted for trying to activate a stolen phone. I have a cell phone and I don't need someone else's.

• Sn
      25th of Nov, 2010

Wow. I think everyone is missing the point. Sure, it's not right to look in the back room, but the point is that he was framed and asked to leave the store for something he didn't do. Why is everyone making such a big deal about this? That employee needs to be fired.

2nd of Jan, 2011

As a manager of Dollar General, , I agree with those who say not to be in the back room. What makes you think that you have the right to step foot back there? And further more, , putting yourself in a place where you know you shouldn't be tells me that you obviously don't always do what's right. So who's to say that you didn't steal the phone?? I'm not saying that you did because I wasn't there, but if you put yourself in a position to be suspected then don't complain when someone does suspect you. It's that simple.. From now on, don't go into places that you know you don't belong. That's just common sense.

• Dg
      4th of Jan, 2011

I would call the Customer Service # on your reciept, they r suppose to folow-up on ALL calls...If nothing else turn them into your local Better Business Bureau...I work @ DG in Hastings, NE and we ALWAYS make it right with our customers there. There should be NO questions asked as to why u r returning it, especially if it does not work.

• Tw
      29th of Mar, 2011

i was in dollar general shopping and someone did steal they confronted him while me my daughter were shopping i was ticked off about it he stole gain laundry soap and they put me my daughter and grandson and who ever was in the store at risk of possibly being hurt or shot all over a 5 dollar item omg NOW THat is stupid in my opinion Now I am hearing from you they accused you of stealing and having it on taped and you say you didn't do it I would have called the cops myself and demanded they showed you the tape