Dollar General / customer service/incorrect change

Eaton, OH, United States Review updated:

I was just in the Eaton, Oh DG when i made a purchase for $5 & change, gave the cashier a $20 bill and received $4 back in change. When I noticed in the car I went back in & spoke with the cashier. The manger LISA never apologized, accused me of lying, saying they had cameras. I advised her that I wanted to view the tapes then & she would see the cashier shorted me $10. I requested that they at least count the drawer for my missing $10. She said I had to call back after closing and if she was STILL THERE then they may be able to return it but i can't prove it. WTF!! I have never had such RUDE customer service in my life. She never apologized, That's CUSTOMER SERVICE 101 always apologize to the customer for an error or perceived error!! This lady was just worried about being right. I am calling corporate Monday for the way I was treated, the fact is I work for a retail customer based higher end Home office where customer service reigns. I make that $10 in less than 30 minutes at work, it's not the $10 its the basic premised that she felt I should go out of my way to make sure she doe her job. FYI the correct response to this LISA is apologize for any inconvenience that the situation has caused, actually listen to the customer with out alienating them with accusations even if you think they are wrong. Offer to CALL THE CUSTOMER after you count the drawer. Offer some type of appeasement, ie small gc or etc. Or to do away with the whole issue you could have offered my $10 back on a gift card and that would have resolved the issue and guaranteed repeat business!! You are a poor manager & DG should be ashamed to have hired a manager that don't know about customer service. Take a class's at Sinclair.

Comments

• Ri
      21st of Apr, 2012

You could have called the police and made a report, they would have reviewed the footage and/or confiscated it if you couldn't wait until the till count at closing.

• 1m
      21st of Apr, 2012

I have worked retail for better than 25 years and I have never seen such poor customer service as I have at ANY DG store. The one in my town used to be good. Then the done a remod and changed the store. Fired everyone and started with fresh people. They must have scraped the bottom of the barrel to find 'employees'. Rude, lazy, the store is dirty, dark, shelves half empty, delivery carts all over the sales floor and out side. All in all just a piss poor way to run a business.
    I agree, no matter what, you should have been treated better. Had I been the manager I would have counted the drawer right then. They can do a print out real quick to see exactly how much money has been thru the drawer. The print out can show activity right down to the transaction. Typical DG manager. The "old school" days of managing are long gone. Good luck getting any result from DG corp. I have sent emails over and over and yet to have any reply. If you notice there is no phone number of any kind for customer complaints. That should be a clue right there.

21st of Apr, 2012

Not to excuse the rudeness, but I was taught to count my change before leaving the register.

• Wi
      21st of Apr, 2012

"I make that $10 in less than 30 minutes at work, "

well aren't you so special...

so because you make more money than her it is ok for you to come on a public message board and publicly bash her? Lets see, you gave the store location and her name. I hope she sees this and does what she needs to do.

You know, there is always the chance you didn't give her a $20 after all and just thought you did. Oh but wait, you are the customer and the customer is always right (even if they are wrong), I forgot.

• 1m
      23rd of Apr, 2012

It wouldn't matter if you made $100 per hour. The CUSTOMER should have been treated better. I also hope the clerk and the manager does see this as well. Maybe then when they know there is a forum for complaints out here and who knows someone from DG might see it and react to it. Look back at the original post. The manager admitted it was all on tape, then get off your lazy duff and go check the tape. I bet if the clerk claimed the person stole $10 from the register, that tape would have been reviewed within minutes.
    Typical DG management style. Those who can, get to do it and stomped on and the ones who cant do it, get pushed up the ladder. Ask any DG employee that has worked at least a year or more, it will take some time, and they will confirm what I said.