Dollar General / racism

1 Branson West, MO, United States Review updated:

On 4/24/09, I went into Dollar general, my 12 year old was in game store just a few doors down, I told him when he got done if I wasn't in car to come over to Dollar General, When he came in store I was just heading to check out, and I turned to ask him if there was anything that he thought he needed (hygeine items), He said Mom I need something for my hair, so I looked around and did not see a section for his hair products, He is african american, So I said ask the lady up in front, so he did and she said it is 2 isle's over, so we looked and there was only perms for caucasian, So I went up to register and my son was behind me and I said Mamn I'm looking for hair products for my son's hair, she looked at him and then me and said well we probably don't carry it because there isn't that many of them down here. Needless to say I was like dumbfounded that she had just said this, My son looked at me and I calmly asked her for corporate number and told her it had nothing to do with her, just to keep a scene from happening. So then the shift leader came up and gave me number and also gave me the number to the store manager and said she would be back on 4/27/09. So on 4/27/09 I contacted her and she was very apologetic, and I told her that I was going to be calling corporate and that I would be bringing a letter by that I was also going to be faxing to corporate. So on 4/29/09, I picked up my son from school we went to dollar general to hand deliver the letter, So as we are both standing back there talking to manager, this employee comes around the corner and was told only to apologize and instead starts stating that she didn't make any racial slur and why did I tell her it had nothing to do with her. Needless to say this was very upsetting, my son walks out and I looked at store manager for her to stop this and she just looked at me with a smirk on her face. I guess they think nothing of this, since there is not alot of diversity in this area. So on 5/1/09 I contacted Corporate and was told that Justin Comer would be calling me back. On 5/8/09 still heard nothing so I called corporate again, The lady said "Mamn Justin said the District Manager will be calling you, as I'm on phone with Corporate my cell phone rings and it was Gene the district manager. He was very apoligetic, and said that they would be getting back with me by end of the following week, well today is 5/18/09 and still haven't heard anything. Any suggestions please email me at godismyfather40@hotmail.com

Comments

• Mi
      23rd of May, 2009

I'm sorry that your son went through this. I worked at Dollar General for a few years. My first manager hated Mexicans and tried to make us follow them around the store. Needless to say, I refused. I feel that Dollar General is concerned with nothing but their almighty dollar.

• Na
      14th of Jun, 2009

I'm sorry. but I have to agree with the employee on that one. As one who has worked for Dollar General for a few years (unfortunately!) I have many times had to explain to people why we do not carry African American hair products. Of course I don't use the words as she did, however, I do mention that there isn't enough interest in the product to carry it. I think I would just let this go...she may not have known the correct way to go about the issue because so many African Americans take things the wrong way.

• Sd
      30th of Aug, 2009

People that are backwoods hillbilly freaks and say dumb stuff like that should be shot on sight

• On
      17th of May, 2010

I work in the Oneonta N.Y store.
    it sounds like you should get a lawyer. My store has a hair products for african americans and children. Also sweetheart you have that cashier and manager come to Oneonta, N.Y. ; TRUST me they would get there [censor] kick here my town is equal for and one for all.
    I am a 31 year old caucasion female