Dog Breeder / bad hips

1 173 currier roadAndover, NH, United States Review updated:

I bought a black lab born on 3/10/10 to George and Katie (dogs). Was told no hip problems. My 9 month old dog has VERY BAD hip dysplasia, which will require hip replacements in a few years. I was told by breeder, Debbie, that there is nothing she can do about this. She states that she has never had a complaint about hip problems in the past from any of the pups she has sold. Vets recommend to STOP breeding if an offspring has hip dysplasia, a very painful and expensive problem. My 9 month old black lab walks like an 11 year old with bad arthritis. Don't buy from them.

Comments

• Be
      15th of Dec, 2010

Thanks for the comments. The first respondent must have ice in his veins. Either that or nothing to do with his time. There are no hip scores for the parents, an uneducated consumer is a breeders best customer when they want to cut corners. I have since learned that anyone can call themselves a breeder. The AKC cannot regulate them, however they recommend to stop breeding dogs that have produced a pup with hip dysplasia. The breeder is now trying to tell me that something must have happened since I've had the pup, like we did somthing to him to cause this. A board certified Orthopedic Veterinarian who specializes in Hip Dysplasia would not tell me his hips were bad if they weren't, It is quite obvious even to a lay person that his hips are bad - and the xrays confirm it. We are now providing this pup with physical therapy, underwater treadmill therapy and medication. Restricted activity, food intake, etc. Not an easy thing to do to a pup. I would just hate to see anyone else go through this if they don't have to.