Dodge Durango / Problems

I own a 2000 Dodge Durango and have consistently maintained it for years with few problems. Last week while driving it a "check gauge" light came on. I took it to be serviced and was told that the engine needs to be replaced. Apparently Dodge has a defect with its Durango and Dakota engines that leads to sludge. The driving shaft has begun to break apart as a result. I am upset because Dodge has issued no recalls nor have they ever suggested that synthetic oil be used, which would have prevented this problem. I am now faced with replacing this truck or paying $6000 to replace the engine. Has anyone else had a similar situation?

Va

Comments

• Kr
      2nd of Feb, 2009

did you ever figure out if that was your problem? the engine? my check gauges light just came on, only gauge that was off or different was my battery indicator or whatever and it was all the way down to the 8 red line and all the lighting in my car got dimmer, next day i went and replaced my battery thinking that was my problem, i guess not... so let me know if you needed a new engine for sure. im taking my car into the dealership tomorrow but i just wanted another persons experience.