Doctor's ValuVision / Doctor's Value Vision is NO Value!

1 1701 Gallatin RoadMadison, TN, United States Review updated:
Phone: (615) 860-0277

If you want to be herded like cattle and think that ordering new prescription eyeglasses should make you feel like you are applying for government assistance, then Eye Care Centers of America's Doctor's ValuVision is for you!

Yeah, I know, customer service in general has gone to the dogs but I have to say that in my opinion, Doctor's ValuVision is by far the worst offender that I have come across in a very long time.

I went to the one on Gallatin Parkway in Madison, TN, just outside Nashville. I was given incorrect information on the phone before I ever stepped foot in the door, I waited for almost and hour & a half just to be seen, then was given the runaround on every conceivable topic and was treated like dirt by the management.

There was no one on staff to assist with picking out frames, so the customers had a free for all with them and they were in complete disarray. The whole store was a mess.

To make matters worse, the manager on duty only offered me a 10% discount even though I had been quoted the wrong price, told that my lenses were in stock when they were not, waited over an hour to be seen, was treated discourteously by the entire staff. Yet as I was leaving I watched another customer be given a 35% discount by a regular staff person just for asking.

I called corporate headquarters to file a complaint and my call was never even returned.

Sure they offer glasses at a reasonable price, but honestly, Lenscrafters is WAY worth the extra money for their level of service!

Va

Comments

• Ha
      28th of Mar, 2008

I have always had great customer service from Dr's ValuVision in Rivergate. I have been going there for years. You have one opinion that is totally one sided. I have never been herded thru that store for the past 8 years. I feel VERY welcomed there and I always have a wonderful time picking out my frames. It took me a trip or two to figure out their system, but they are organized and they know who comes in first and who is nect in line. They have gotten very busy over the years, but that is coming from their great customer service that has spread thru the Nashville area. Out of all the years that I have been going there I have never been treated as the way you descibed. Maybe you were having a bad day? Maybe someone didn't show up for work there and the workers were doing the best they could? They are by no means mean people. I was in there last month and the majority of them I have seen every year for at least the past 5. I have never had any trouble with the management there. They have always treated them the same way they treat me - with respect.

This is a wonderful place to get your eye exam or just purchase your glasses. I totally disagree with your statements

• Ne
      11th of Jul, 2008

The person with the comment before me must work for Drs Value Vision! The WORST customer service I have EVER had! I have been shuffled around and treated disrespectfully by the ENTIRE staff-even the doctors! I visited the Hickory Hollow, Antioch, Tennessee store in 2006 & was treated terribly! All I can say is that their entire staff were like something out of a prison movie. They wouldn't even make eye contact, ordered you as to where to sit...didn't have any regard for your time...3 hours is too long, just to get a contact lens examination. I thought the scary "ghetto" treatment was just that particular store (bad judgement on my part!) so I went to the Moores Lane location of Drs Value Vision in Franklin, Tennessee. They treated myself and my son worse. They actually acted like they were doing us a favor, and honestly, I feel I was treated horribly on every level. The receptionist at the front desk, "Erica" was absolutely horrible to me when I called to have a simple change done from a monthly wear contact to a 14 day. Basically, they told me I would have to come in and pay for a whole new exam. What a rip-off! Its not even about the money anymore...unless you like bad treatment, disrespect, being given the wrong product ( that by the way, my insurance gladly paid for) and simply being completely de-moralized...I would avoid these 2 Drs Value Vision locations like the bubonic plague! Everyone there is a hot mess, including the store manager "Phil." He was absolutely no help, and couldn't have cared less that he was losing the business of my entire family. When you think that we have 5 people in my family, and he doesn't care at all...thats lots of money that Phil is throwing down the drain! Their customer service "hotline" was hilarious! They completely backed up the terrible behavior of their employees. I will never even go near another place like that...I like being treated well...especially when I have great insurance and am spending additional hard-earned dollars!

• Ne
      11th of Jul, 2008

dvv tottaly sucked

15th of Jul, 2008

I had a horrid experience at the Green Hill's location. The wait was well over an hour, and I had scheduled an appointment. They wouldn't file a claim on my vision insurance, and told me that I had to pay cash. Then I had to file the claim on my own. THEN after all of that... I went in 6 months later to get an additional pair of glasses, and they lost my perscription and tried to make me take (and pay for) another exam. I would have gone elsewhere for my 2nd pair, but my insurance wouldn't cover another exam. They finally found my perscription WEEKS later. I never did get the 2nd pair I wanted, and I'm currently looking for another establishment for my eye care.

• Da
      18th of Sep, 2008

I am very happy with my service at the 2 Value Visions I have been to. The stores are busy, but the people working there work as fast and friendly as any place I have ever been. Its the right price for my family and we love our Dr. If you try hard enough you can find fault in anything. And being judemental is a very common practice for some. FYI... the person who wrote the top review has it posted all over the plac eonline and there are numerous people defending that store. That alone tells me that the view form that person just might be wrong!

• Wi
      23rd of Sep, 2008

We had just an awful year's experience at another VV store...Antioch! We ignored the bad reviews and still gave it a try. The following ensued:
    terrible customer service
    uninformed reps
    rude receptionist
    huge wait times even with an appt.
    misdiagnosis by doctor for my husband then she argued about it as she changed her mistake
    they ordered the wrong prescription twice
    overly long wait time for orders every time we ordered glasses or contacts
    big turn over in personnel
    lied to us regarding contract when I had my contract in hand to dispute, they still said it was expired in their records and would not accommodate me
    and MORE!

DO NOT go there...really, go elsewhere...we wish we had heeded other people's reviews. This is a poorly managed store. Worst service ever experienced in any medical business. First negative review I've ever had to write!!

24th of Sep, 2008

YES, I was totally discouraged with Doctor's Valu Vision at 1701 Gallatin Rd, in Madison Tn. They must hire individuals right off the street, I new i was in trouble when a big sign at the front door entrance said NOW HIRING. I ordered my Boston xo gas perm contact lens on 9/10/08, along with my eye exam from optometrist's Ellen Jaurene. I went their today on 9/24/08 to pick up my lens and they hadn't even been ORDERED yet, they told me they would be glad to reorder my lens for me, I said no thank you, they didn't apologize, the management was very unfriendly, the technicians all they were doing was complaining about their work schedule. WHAT A JOKE.

• 1g
      16th of Oct, 2008

I took my 5 year old son to get his first pair of glasses at the Hickory Hollow location. The first incident that ticked me off, was I was not greeted when after I was aimlessly walking around the store for 10 min. Then I here ### and ### coming from the t.v. where my son was sitting with 2 other children watching Family Guy. Ok, sure I love Family Guy, but I do not allow my child to watch an adult cartoon with profain language. After I told the receptionist, she looked over at the other children who were interested in the show as well and the other parents that were'nt complaining and she disregarded me. I waited 2 1/2 hours before anyone came to help me pick any glasses out. I was not sure which frames were fit for my son, obviously. I found a pair that later I realized were too big for his face. As we sat down with the "too big" frames to get measured the man was not communitive at all. I then asked him after 30 minutes of watching him peck at his computer if the frames were actually to big for my sons face. He said, "well yea, they are kind of too big." HELLO?? Wouldn't that have been something you could have told me an hour agp when I sat down with you. I went searching for another pair and asked if he could help and he sat there and told me a number code on the side to look for on the frames. I was steemed at this point. Needless to say, 3 1/2 hours after being there we walked out with no frames. We ended up going to the Green HIlls location and I was pleased as I was greeted within seconds of walking through the door. They told me the prcedure to sign in, give insurance info, and told me I would be called shortly. The man that helped me, totally walked me through picking out frames for my son and even myself. I was very pleased with his service. However, the next day when I picked the frames up a different staff was there. The lady hesitantly came to the counter ( i was interupting her conversation) and got my glasses. She said her you go, and started to walk off. I asked her if she could please check to see if they were fitted corectly for my son and asked her if there was a contact case for myself so that I may try on my glasses. She pointed to the back room, so I said do I just help my self? She then, without a word, walked to the contact counter grabbed a case and solution and walked off. She also went back behind the counter to talk to someone so I asked a man if he could check my sons glasses, and sure enough they needed to be slightly ajusted to fit him. I was discouraged at that point when he didnt aske if mine needed to be checked so I just started to walk out. My son wanted a hard case for his glasses so we stood at the counter to buy one and nobody came to us so we put it down and left. I was absolutley irate with this establishment and even though it is inexpensive I will not deal with that kind of pour customer service. Their business would strive if they could actually get some decent help.

• Nr
      15th of Nov, 2008

The Valuvison in Hickory Hollow has horrible service especially the new manager and two of the new recptionist. The people that have been for a while which is like two are still just as friendly as they were when I started going there but they are not there all the time. I have never had problems until last year and this year and I wil never go there again. I even called the corporate offices and got no response. I came in and had to wait a long time while they socialized at or behind the counter. The guy manager is always rude unless he is selling or taking your money. My next step is the better business burea

• De
      23rd of Nov, 2008

My husband went to Drs. VV a month ago to get two pairs of no-line bi-focals.
    What a couple of stupid doctors they have at the Johnson City, TN store.
    Hubby goes for the exam and picks out a couple of pairs of glasses, and pick them up the same day.
    the glasses don't seem to have enough clarity and he's having trouble seeing distance. the guy that's behind the counter says, oh, give it a few days and your eyes should adjust. Adjust???? are you kidding me? so hubby comes home, not happy with the glasses complaining to me that he can't see well and that these glasses don't seem right, so a few days later he goes up there again and complains, and they give him another exam with another Dr. and this new doc. changes the prescription and they make him two new pairs of glasses, another 3-4 hr. wait, just like the first time. He puts them on and he's like, man, this is messed up, these glasses aren't right either, what is wrong with these doctors? The glasses were a little better, but now they were stronger in the prescription. They again, said, give it a couple of days for your eyes to adjust. Yeah, right. So he comes home, again complaining for a couple of days, saying these glasses just are not working for him, things seem blurry and he again, can't read distance. Now you would think that someone who has a College degree from some Optometry school that supposedly graduated, would be competent enough to be able and prescribe the right glasses for someone. Well this is not the case. Here you have two doctors at this office and neither one of them is competent. He calls the office up there before going up there and complains to them and they are like, well, what do you want us to do? He's like, I want my money back $300, because these doctors can't seem to give me a simple prescription that's right. The woman, says, She says, oh, well have you had your sugar tested? Have you been getting enough sleep? and hubby is like, yeah, I've been getting enough sleep, and I don't have a sugar problem, are you telling me I have to come and get my sugar tested before I can get a refund? well she says, we can give you back the money for the glasses, but not the prescription. Well, duh.>>>> that's where the problem lies, your incompetent Doctors.
    Again, a third trip to Johnson City, we live an hr. away, mind you know he's got well over 15 hrs. of time wrapped up with driving back and forth to see a couple of nincompoops for doctors and the time waiting for the glasses, and here he is on his way back AGAIN!! they credit our credit card for the glasses $257, but not the exam of I think $55, that same day, he had made an app't with Sears, whom he'd gotten glasses with before, and he tells the guy the story, the Dr. takes his exam, and hubby goes back up a few days later to get the glasses and guess what, THEY ARE PERFECT!!! Wow, unbelievable. A competent Optometrist at Sears.

• Lu
      3rd of Dec, 2008

I happened to see an ad for a dollar exam at Value Vision and went today to the store in Rivergate. I had great service all around. The store had about 20 customers in all while I was there. No one seemed rushed, upset or unfriendly. I felt my service was great and it seemed like everyone else was being helped in a timely manner as well. I went back for my bifocals 3 hours later and I see well, they look great and I was invited in anytime for free adjustments and cleaning. This was totally worth my 250 dollars. I was disappointed glasses would take more than an hour but I understood when I saw how many othere were there. I think it is just awful when as a human race we always jump to the negative and felt I should put a kind word out there as I am ONE PLEASED CUSTOMER!!!

• Ro
      25th of Jan, 2009

Oh my word!! I knew it was just not me. I have twins who are 12 and we went to have them fitted for contacts. Five hours later we left there with only one child in contacts and the other in tears. The lady that was helping my son smelled of smoke and spoke in a smokers voice. That should have been my first clue that I was in the wrong place. She yelled at him the entire time he was trying to learn do to do this. It was so sad. I felt bad for him so I told her to forget it. The manager was a snotty woman who said fine here is the number for corporate, but you will not get to talk to anyone. I kid you not.

Long story short we will never go there again. My husband said there are some things you should not skimp on and eyecare is one of them These people will be asking the government for a bailout next.

• Di
      25th of Mar, 2009

I am responding to the comment about 3 posts up about incompetent doctors. I have something for you to think about. Any doctor doing an exam relies on THE PATIENT TO TELL THEM WHAT THEY CAN SEE. They say, which one can you see better, A or B, and the patient has to tell the doctor what they can see. This is why it makes no sense to me for someone to say "the doctor did my eye exam wrong"...

• Si
      23rd of Apr, 2009

DVV in Paducah, Kentucky sounds worse than ANY of these. I'll never go back.

• Da
      18th of May, 2009

Everyone who complains about DVV is freaking nuts. Just because you think your life is so much more importnant than everyone else in DVV, dosnet meen you have to go around talking about how bad this place is. DVV was created specifically to save us money. What is so bad about that? Nothing. Where else in this world offers a $1 eye exam, and deals that saves us over $150 each trip for glasses. I dnt kno the last time you checked, but we all can benefit from saving us a little money. Everytime I go in to DVV there always busy, and they take care of you as fast as they can. So instead of getting caught up in your "Im so important than everybody else" look around and you will see that the people who work there arent being lazy, they work there tails off. I feel really sry for when people like everyone who is complaining on this page come see the people who work there, you all are impossible

• Zi
      6th of Feb, 2010

Until my most recent, disasterous experience, I have had reasonably good service from Green Hills ValuVision.

This time I ordered two pairs of single-vision glasses. One for the computer, one for reading. I was told they wouldn't be ready until January 20, the day I was leaving town for Upper Michigan where I would be skiing in January. I was assured the glasses would be mailed to my Michigan address.

They were not. They were sent to my Nashville address, in spite of the fact that I called en route to confirm the shipping address. When the error was discovered, I requested they pick the glasses up at my home and overnight them to me. Instead they waited two days before picking them up, then didn't mail them for two more days. They were not shipped overnight.

When they arrived, it turned out they could not be used either for reading or for the computer, as both pairs had been formulated only for distance. I had this confirmed by a local optometrist.

Needless to say we have stopped payment on the credit card used for this transaction and I will not do business with them again. They run a very sloppy operation.

• Pv
      28th of Sep, 2010

You are all the idiots for even going there! Trolling the best buy one get one free deals in order to determine where you get your eyecare! You all wanted cheap and then got pissed off when you got cheap. Pick an optometrist's office where you feel comfortable and stop trying to skimp on everything.

• 1t
      19th of Apr, 2011

I really had a long 2 hr drive to go to DR.VALUE VISION, in Brentwood tn on 4/17/10, only because my EX-WIFE, wanted to go there, but after me going thru the long wait and exams, I still left with the wrong presciption for my glasses and contacts, after spending $400. and then waiting until after all the flooding was done to go back to get retested, they still did not get it right, my contacts and glasses are still off, due to them not doing it right the first time, or the second, now after putting up with bad prescription for a year I needed to get A set of contacts to hold me over til I can afford to go and get another exam, all the stores in my area were closed on the 17th, now that being a SUNDAY, I called them to ask for a ONE DAY EXTENTION, to get more contacts and they would not even give me one, I will never never go back to a place that treats people like they do, save your money and your eyes and go somewhere else, they are not worth the troulble.

• Wh
      3rd of Dec, 2011

I went to the new place up in Hendersonville, TN a few months back. I already had a new prescription from my ophthalmologist so I didnt need an eye exam - just a new pair of glasses. The prescription is for reading, and is not at all strong. The staff was friendly and eager to help. Everything went smoothly until I had my frames picked out. The technician said they were the 'wrong' frames for my prescription. Huh? I've never heard that comment before when choosing frames so this surprised me, but I went back to select another pair of frames. Before doing so, I asked the girl who was helping me to jot down the style of the first frame. Its a good thing I did. After selecting about 10 pair of frames with the same remark from the technician, I asked him to choose the frames that were 'correct' for my prescription. Needless to say, he selected a style I never would have chosen. At that point I decided to go to LensCrafters, where I gave the salesgirl the style # of the first pair of frames I had seen at the other place. The frames were in stock, so they filled my prescription and had them ready the next day. I've had no problem with the frames or the lenses so I have no idea what the issue was at Value Vision. Since then, I know 3 people who had the same exact experience at the Hendersonville store-- some of whom wear glasses all day - not just for reading!! Each frame they chose was 'incorrect" for their prescription according to the technician. They purchased frames elsewhere and have since had no problems. Perhaps the technician only knows how to work with one type of frame? I think the store manager should look into this as they may be losing customers.