DMV / impossible driving test expectations

United States Review updated:

My mom went to DMV today to get a Ca driver's license. She had problems from the beginning. She was unable to pass the vision test the first time due to allergies. She was told to go to the optometrist to see if the doctor felt it was unsafe for her to drive. The doctor filled out the form and explained her situation and informed the DMV that her distance vision is not affected, just her vision acuity. When she returned to the DMV, they decided to disregard the doctor's notice and make her take a driving test. At the end of the driving test, the lady informed her that she just barely passed. She was marked down for her car not running smoothly enough over a bumpy road, saying she did not have control of her car. She was marked down for swerving to avoid a piece of lumber in the middle of the road. She was marked down for braking too often during the bumpy road. She was marked down for stopping in the middle of the intersection to avoid being hit by a speeding car. Then she informed her that her license will be good for only one year unless she gets eye surgery. Since when is a person required to have eye surgery in order to drive? All the things that she was marked down for had nothing to do with her vision. Doesn't she have the right to choose as to whether or not she gets eye surgery? Since she passed the drive test, she should be allotted the regular license with the regular renewal time limits. She is not that old and should not be treated so poorly. She said she felt like a criminal by the time she left!

Wa

Comments

• Du
      12th of Feb, 2012
    Dmv - I wasted my money on insurance for nothing
    DMV

DMV told me at their office to enroll in 3 month alcohol class and get insurance on any vehicle(SR22) then I will get my license back. Came back with that, then they tell me I have a 10 year old court case I owe $1100, I deal with that. Next time I go in they tell me I need to do a 18 month alcohol class, so the 3 month school I enrolled in (and gave $174) does not carry the 18 month class. I got insurance and it cost me $350. But after a month the DMV, from Sacramento, told me I can't get my license 'til I FINISH the 18 month class, so I wasted my money on insurance for nothing.

• As
      5th of Mar, 2012
    Dmv - Renewal sent last minute
    DMV

I just received my registration renewal today on July 7th and the postage stamp on the front of the letter shows that it was mailed on July 5th yet the bill is due on July 8th. This is absolutely ridiculous, how can my bill be due 1 day after I receive my bill? In the past I have had at least a month if not more time to prepare funds to pay my registration. The worst part about all this is that when I log online to try and pay the bill today so that I am not penalized for being late, the website continues to crash and will not let me proceed with the payment. The DMV system is pathetic.

• Hu
      5th of Mar, 2012
    Dmv - By the time you notice your tags are expired, you are in for a FIFTY PERCENT fine
    DMV

Here is another popular scam; You NEVER get your notice to renew by mail, they say, "The mail clerk returned it as undeliverable" and you must take their word for it.

By the time you notice your tags are expired, you are in for a FIFTY PERCENT fine ! Oh, and dont be surprised if your selected for a "RANDOM" smog test also. DMV is organized, state sponsored criminal enterprise. Their extra fee generation scams are obvious, blatant and civic-ally embarrassing. Its called corruption by any other name

• Cg
      1st of Nov, 2012

I agree, the California DMV has very little with driving at all. And people who have driven other places know there are more hazards in road construction, and bad roads, ect. They seem to think California is the perfect engineered road system, and it is better to study DMV made up Physics than be a courtious, and careful skilled driver. What a scam. I ended up losing an endorsement from my last liscence becasue they are pretty incompetent and not really there to help you. I would just prefer a DMV kiosk, or internet test. I am tired of goong new places and people don't have any training at their job, accept to be rude and ununderstanding, and incompetent. Obviously their bosses are also.

• Mo
      24th of May, 2013

Did not get any result. . . I think i get charged!

10th of Jul, 2013

Hello Mohamm,

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the experience you recently had with our website and services. Please feel free to contact me via email at [protected]@dmv.us.org if you would like to obtain a refund for the charges you have incurred.