Divine Movers - Virginia Beach, VA / Poor Business Practices

1 2809 S. Lynnhaven RdVirginia Beach, VA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 757-216-3403

May 5, 2008

Divine Movers moved me out of my apartment in December of 2007 for a negotiable fee of $175 to include a $50 deposit. Based on the quality of service received for the cost I paid, I decided to reuse them again to move the remaining of my belongings out from my apartment into a storage unit.

On May 29th I called Divine Movers to get a price quote and availability for a move for May 31st. I spoke with Chris (the manager) and he quoted me several prices depending on the specifications of the job as follows:

• $90/hr (w/ a 2 hr min.) to include the truck fee of $125 total $305 and it would be $90 for each additional hour.

• Based on the information that I provided him regarding rooms + furniture + boxes, he estimated that the job would take at least 3 hrs which would cost me $395.

I explained to the owner that I might also need his services again in July to help me move out of storage, it was at that time that he mentioned providing a discount of some sort. I originally needed and wanted to hire someone for July 7th (the actual day that I move out of one apt. and into another), but the they only had availability on the 10th so I agreed to schedule them to come on the 10th. I only agreed upon this arrangement because I was under the assumption that I would recieve a discounted rate as the owner stated in conversation during the time I made the reservations.

The owner confirmed that they had an opening and that he had one job to do on Saturday and that he would be available around 3:00 p.m. He recommended that I pay both deposit fees to guarantee my spot for availability. Satisfied with rate quoted above I decided to proceed with conducting the transaction via phone with my credit card. The owner later called and gave me the authorizing code for my transaction.

On Saturday, May 31st, I received a phone call from the owner around 2:40 p.m. stating that he was running behind and he needed to feed his guys and that I should expect his arrival in 30-40 minutes. I was understanding and empathetic and told him that was not a problem. They arrived around 3:30 p.m. and begin working at 3:40 p.m. and finished loading the truck around 4:40 p.m. (exactly one hour)

The storage unit that we were traveling to unload my belongings was exactly 10 min. away. Before leaving my apartment the owner asked if there was a 7-11 convenient store nearby, I told him yes around the corner, (he wanted to stop and get him and his worker a drink) I then informed him that there was a 7-11 across from our storage unit. We actually had to make a detour on the way to storage to accommodate the movers. It took maybe 5-7 minute for them to run in the store and get something to drink.

Upon arrival at the storage I noticed that we did not have that much time to unload the truck into storage, so I and my husband offered our help to stay within limits of the estimated quotes above. After helping the movers we were issued a bill of $295, I asked the owner about the discount, he said that there was no discount because the job was not over $500. He then jokingly stated that it costs a lot of money to fill his truck up and basically they made no revenue. I walked away really irritated and out of words, my husband paid him the remaining balance in cash and we departed our separate ways.

I was very much disappointed in the services that I had received because he did not show us friendly customers service or hospitality by charging us the full $395 for a 2 hour and 20 min service, when (a) he was 40 min. late for the job (b) he charged us for personal time (stopping at the 7-11) (c) me and my husband helped to do the job (d) then after he verbally stated that he would give me a discount for using his services again in July, he reneged on his word. Needless to say, I was unsatisfied with the service for the amount I paid. I feel that we were taken advantage of.

After some careful deliberation about the whole entire terrible experience, I decided it would be less of a hassle and more of a convenience if I made alternative arrangements for my scheduled move in July. I didn’t think that it would be much of a problem being that the owner informed me to call him of any changes when he completed the job. On Monday, June 2, 2008 I called and left a message on the answering machine of Divine Movers in regards to canceling the appointment on the 10th of July and receiving a refund for my $100 deposit. No one had returned my call by Wednesday, June 4th, so I called and left another message. On Thursday June 5th the owner called me early in the morning and left a message stating that he could not give me back my deposit because it was non-refundable. At this time I am livid and I called and spoke with him. He again advised me that it was there policy and that he did tell me that the deposit was non-refundable during the time of the reservations. I then assured him that he did not tell me that it was a non-refundable fee and that I did not sign anything in writing or see any type of contract stating that I agreed to that policy. He also mentioned how the deposit was non-refundable because he had already turned down a job offer for the date and time he had scheduled me for July 10th. I then told him that he had a whole month to fill that slot, surely he can get a booking by then. I made the reservations on the 29th of May and called to cancel on the 2nd of June, that’s only 5 days after the reservations were made and 38 days in advance. In all honesty I don’t see how he turned down a job when he was the one who issued me the date and time (as stated above, I need to move on the 7th) when he would be available. We ended the call after a few more words were exchanged.

Now here I am out of a total of $495 for poor rendered services to include my $100 deposit that was not refunded! I question the credibility and integrity of the owner and his company “Divine Movers” because we did not receive the superior service with complete satisfaction as stated on their web advertisement. I also could have taken by business elsewhere to receive the quality service worth my dollar and time!

Juliana S. Graham

Ju

Comments

15th of Jul, 2008

I was hit by divine movers truck who at the scene the driver reported to police he was at fault. Now he (and the company who stood behind him )are suggesting both myself and the police lied. If the way they handled the accident reflects how they contact business ...buyer beware!!!