Displays 2 Go / suspected of fraudulent practices

RI, United States

I suspect Displays2Go of fraudulent practices. They sent me a sidewalk display sign (a "sandwich board" which I had ordered for my church), which arrived with some damage on it (some tears on a plastic backing of the display board). When I contacted Displays2Go about the damage, they told me to send them photos of it. When Displays2Go saw the photos, they told me I could return the sandwich board to them, and that I would be reimbursed for the cost of the sandwich board if it was returned to them with no further damage.

Today I got an e-mail from Displays2Go saying the returned sandwich board had bad damage on it, so they would not reimburse me AT ALL (for the $180 I had paid them for the sandwich board). The photos they sent me looked FISHY to me, as if these "damage photos" came out of their "stock photography damage photos file." I suspect them of scam. I phoned the service representative at the company and said, "You saw my photos of what the sandwich board looked like BEFORE it was picked up by UPS. Obviously, the damage must have occurred DURING the return shipping." The rep said she has contacted UPS for a "claim process" (whatever that is), which will take 4 weeks. They're stalling. Does anyone know how I can find a low-cost or pro bono lawyer who could help me determine if I am a victim of fraudulent practices by Displays2Go?

I have attached the" damage photos" Displays2Go sent me, as they claimed these photos are evidence of the damage done to the sandwich board by me (the recipient of the item) -- thus justifying their refusal to reimburse me for the cost of the sandwich board I had returned to them. The reason I think these are "scam photos justifying Displays2Go's refusal to reimburse consumers for returned items" is as follows: Since I am a graphic designer, I notice that the words, "Damaged Hinge #1" and "Damaged Hinge #2" are VERY NEATLY typed, and centered under 2 vey neatly cropped and crisp photos. The other 2 unlabelled photos underneath do not have a caption, and are very blurry photos. So they were not taken during the same "photo shoot" of the so-called damaged display. The customer rep says she will send me OTHER damage photos. I can picture them mangling the sandwich board right now in their factory, so they can send me better damage photos. If there are any other Displays2Go customers out there who have received SIMILAR photos to these, or had any other bad experiences with Displays2Go, please let me know. Thank you.
Sincerely,