Dish Network / deceptive sales practices

1 WI, United States Review updated:

We signed on for Dish Network in November 2009. We have been very happy with the service until today. We received the most recent bill and it was 150 percent higher than the previous bills. Incidentally, the fee we have been paying since November was exactly what the sales representative told us it would be and he promised my husband that what our bill would be for the first twelve months. My husband spent over an hour and a half on the phone with various representatives and supervisors, even being disconnected (perhaps hung up on?) twice. They now say that the sales representative that sold us the package had no right to make the promises he did and "you know you are under a twenty four month contract". Absolutely horrible customer service. Next step the state Attorney General, Better Business Bureau, Consumer Protection Agency, etc., etc.

Ma

Comments

• Di
      3rd of Mar, 2010

I went through the same experience you did yesterday - signed up in Nov. 09 and charges increased 17% this month. They say I signed an contract basically allowing them to charge whatever the want, whenever they want.
    There is a strong case to be made that a clause in a contract that basically invalidates promises made is no contract at all.
    If we can all get together and win a class action suit against Dish Network, then maybe these bait and switch tactics can be stopped.

• Ve
      29th of Mar, 2010

I went through a very similar experience though I've been a customer for nearly two years. When my bill went up (after a 'guarantee' by the sales agent that it will not), I called them this morning to find out why. The 'filipino' sounding customer service rep told me that the contract says they can increase the rate whenever it is necessary. When asked to speak to a manager, she simply hung up on me. We need to stop this 'bait and switch' tactics as well as poor customer service practices. We can always take our business elsewhere but this practice needs to be stopped regardless of service provider.