Dish Networkcontract term

I joined Dish Network in August, 2014 in response to a mailing. In August of 2015, I had to suspend my service because I was moving to a rental in which I could not continue the service. This required a monthly fee in order to avoid early cancellation charges. In October 2015 Dish sent me notice to return 3 of my devices, which I did. I resumed regular service in January 2016 when I purchased a new home. Since they required me to return several set-top boxes, I needed new ones in order to resume my service. Dish took this opportunity to put me on a new 2 year contract without my knowledge. I specifically paid a monthly suspension of account monthly fee to avoid changing my original contract. In July 2016 we had weather damage to our satellite dish, which required a technician. When he came out he suggested I try the new wireless setup box. I called Dish to order one. When ordering on online chat with a Dish rep, the list of agreements included adding a new 2 year contract. At that point, I told them no, and the customer support rep told me they would wave that for me because I “am a good customer.” On February 3, 2017 I called Dish to cancel my service. They told me I was still under contract. I was outraged. I asked to be escalated and was told they do not take calls. She said they had no record of the rep waving my additional 2 year contract for the wireless box and seemed not to understand that they made me send back my equipment in fall of 2015 so I would need new equipment when I resumed service.

This is complete fraud in my opinion. I was a good customer to Dish. I paid all my bills on time and I followed their rules. I paid a maintenance fee in order to keep my account active because I knew I was only temporarily displaced. Today I got a bill for $240 for an early cancellation. This is outrageous behavior on the part of Dish.

• Updated by dstubb, Feb 07, 2017

I joined Dish Network in August, 2014 in response to a mailing. In August of 2015, I had to suspend my service because I was temporarily moving to a rental in which I could not continue the service. This required a monthly fee in order to avoid early cancellation charges. In October 2015 Dish sent me notice to return 3 of my devices, which I did. I resumed regular service in January 2016 when I purchased a new home. Since they required me to return several set-top boxes, I needed new ones in order to resume my service. Dish took this opportunity to put me on a new 2 year contract without my knowledge. I specifically paid a monthly suspension of account fee to avoid changing my original contract and incurring a fee. In July 2016 we had weather damage to our satellite dish, which required a technician. When he came out he suggested I try the new wireless setup box. I called Dish to order one. When ordering on online chat, the list of agreements included adding a new 2 year contract. At that point, I told them no, and the customer support rep told me they would wave that for me because I “am a good customer.” On February 3, 2017 I called Dish to cancel my service. They told me I was still under contract. I was outraged. I asked to be escalated and was told they do not take calls. She said they had no record of the rep waving my additional 2 year contract for the wireless box and seemed not to understand that they made me send back my equipment in fall of 2015 so I would need new equipment when I resumed service.

This is complete fraud in my opinion. I was a good customer to Dish. I paid all my bills on time and I followed their rules. I even paid a maintenance fee in order to keep my account active because I knew I was only temporarily displaced. Today I got a notice for a bill for $240 for an early cancellation. This is outrageous behavior on the part of Dish.

Ds