Dish Network / dishonorable business practices

(I've sent this to the BBB, Attorney General's office and a few newspapers. I want to get the word out)

I have been a customer of Dish Network company for over five years. I telephoned them on February 21, 2007 (yesterday) and asked if I had a standing commitment to continue service with them. The employee I spoke with put me hold, checked my records, came back on the telephone and informed me that I did not. I asked again, “Are you sure? I need to positively verify this as I am planning to enlist the services of another satellite company and intend to cancel your service.” The employee further assured me that I did not have any commitment with them any longer.

With that information supplied to me by Dish Network, which I trusted to be truthful and correct, I arranged for another satellite company to come to install their system, which they did today, February 22, 2007.

After the other company finished installing their satellite equipment and left my home, I telephoned Dish Network to cancel my account with them. The first person, with whom I spoke, verified apparent notes on his computer, that indeed I do not have a commitment with them. However, they needed to transfer my call, or so they said, in order to cancel my service. I was put on hold for a very long time, approximately 30 or 40 minutes until they caused the telephone to disconnect.

I called back. After waiting on hold for what seemed an eternity, listening to repetitious music, they then informed me that I have a commitment with them for another six and a half months and if I cancel, I will owe them $13.33 per month remaining in that time frame, which amounts to $86.65.

I objected, naturally, informing them of my telephone conversation yesterday with one of their employees. I went through the whole story again with someone else. (You can never talk to the same person twice) I asked to speak to a supervisor and was put on hold again for approximately twenty minutes. Altogether, I was on the telephone for approximately an hour and a half and all to no avail. I was told, point blank, that no supervisors were responding.

Therefore, I explained the whole story again to yet another employee. This time, they denied having any notes that someone told me that I was not under any obligation to continue their service.

I again reiterated that they should honor the information that one of their employees gave me, regardless of whether I have six and a half months left of obligation to them. They refused to honor that. I explained that had I been given accurate information, I would not have arranged to connect with this other company yet. And still, they held fast.

They also demanded that I pack up their receiver boxes and satellite dish in boxes that they will send me by UPS. Then I am to take them to the UPS office and mail their equipment back to them. If I fail to do this, there will be an exorbitant monetary penalty. I am dumb struck as to why I should have to do their work for them, using my time and effort to package these items. I am a senior citizen and I am appalled at their aggressive behavior.

To sum it up, although I may have had a commitment with them and I had nothing in writing about the telephone conversation, (big mistake that I should know better than to make)I feel that Dish Network displayed very dishonorable, immoral and despicable business practices. These practices clearly manifest themselves in this company’s mistreatment of customers, with untruthful, incorrect and inconsistent information, resulting in my having to pay for two services for another six and a half months. Had I received a straightforward answer yesterday, that I am indeed committed for another six and a half months, I would not have signed up with the other company until those six and a half months were past. I am extremely displeased with this ineffective and dishonorable company.

Sort by: DownDate | Rating

Comments

• Ka
      2nd of Jun, 2017

Please be aware that DISH network has 2 very important clauses in their "non-contract " which they prefer to call a Service Agreement or commitment. Both deal with your ability as a consumer to file legal action. First, you are not allowed to file a Class action suit against them without meeting some very stringent principles of breach of contract law. This eliminates most individuals. The second, and even more egregious, disallows you from filing single case civil action. You are required based on your commitment to give up your right to arbitration as soon as you become a customer of DISH. In other words, they make sure that they are covered coming and going. The cases that have gone to judgement have been heavily documented, individuals working with some sort of legal assistance and involved amounts of less than $2250.00 which is what it costs DISH to file a cross complaint against you. All of which means you could end up paying a lot more money. We already know they are unscrupulous so be careful.

25th of Oct, 2011

Well Dish is out to screw someone again...ME... Those SOB's at Dish network REFUSE to pay for the damage they did to my house BUT say I MUST pay them to cancel...Isn't it like big business..out to screw over the lillte guy? Their installer mounted the dish to my roof, putting a hole in the shingles after I told him 3 times not to put it on my roof...now I have a roof with a hole in it and Dish says they are NOT responsible...well if that is so...then I will be one of the biggest campainers against DISH NETWORK..I will get on facebook, twitter and any other source and tell everyone how they treat their "customers" as they claim that they have a "high satisfaction rate"? BS they are the lowest of the low...DISH NETWORK you should be ashamed they way you have treated me as well as others!! MOLLY I would be ashamed to work for a company that cannot admit they are wrong...Frank who works out of the Charlotte Office is the only one who seems to care and agrees that I wasn't treated fairly..but I guess this might cost him his job..because he is a man with compassion..Sorry Frank if it does..but if so I wouldn't want to work for a company of liars and theives anyway...DISH NETWORK< Charlie Ergen SHAME ON YOU!!!

6th of Oct, 2011

greg1951nc,

I'd like to help you with the issue you posted! Before the concern with the cancellation fee arose, what exactly did you notice about the service that differed from what was stated in the contract? Also, please email me your account number so I can have a look at it. My email address is [email protected] I look forward to hearing from you!

Aggravatedjo,

I found your situation interesting and would be more than happy to look into that! What's guaranteed for the first 12 months of service is the dollar amount of the discount from the regular price of the programming package. If you could email me your account number, I can go over the information with you to get this straightened out, as well as get a copy of your contract ordered and sent to you! My email address is [email protected] I hope to speak with you soon!

12th of Sep, 2011

DISH NETWORK what a ripoff. I got their service in Feb and I HATE IT I tried to cancel today and they say I must pay them $17.50 per month for the 18 months left...$315.00 to cancel a sorry satillite service...That is Bulls___. My contract says the cancellation fee is 7 dollars and 50 cents per month ...where the Hell do they come up with th other 10.00 bucks per month? Michael, at dish network who solves problems...solve this one...DISH NETWORK is not even one half the quality of Directv and Directv only charges $7.00 per month cancellation fee...so that tells you how bad Dish Network is hurting...that they rip you off when you sign up and they rip you off when you want to cancel...I pray to GOD that some REAL Attorney reads this and can find a way that those of us who have been ripped off my dish network and sue them for sorry service and stealing money from customers...Have you seen the new ads? They have dropped their price even lower to $19.99 trying to get new customers...Dish Network is loosing customers daily..mainly because their equipment is 15 years behind Directv's equipment..I will pass on what Dish network has done and I will continue to pass on what dish has done and is doing...Somewhere there si someone who will stand up for the little guy that Dish network is stealing money from...DISH NETWORK is not only a saoory company..but it is run by theives!! I WILL NOT PAY YOU PRICE TO CANCEL BUT I will agree to $7.50 as stated in my contract!!!Charlie Ergen (or ergon however it is spelled) You sir run a sorry company!!

• Ag
      14th of Aug, 2011

I agree with the poster who stated we should start a class action lawsuit against them. They are guilty of bait and switch and breach of contract in my case. They never actually sent me a contract. Verbally, i had spoken to a sale person and we had discussed a promotional rate of $24.95 plus tax for the first year. This started in September. By February, they increased my promotional rate by $5.00 and said they had the right to do this. In my eyes, our agreement was for $24.95 for the first year, it wasn't their discounts that motivated me to sign up, it was the bottem line price. That was the agreement, not discounts. So, when they broke their end of the agreement, then I have no valid contract from what I understand of contract law.
    Does anyone know a lawyer? I don't. I am planning to take this to the BBB because verbally, I was also told by the salesperson I could cancel at any time, just sent back the equipment with no penalty. Now I am being told I have 13 months left- which is not true. It is maybe 12 but I think I already paid them for August and will owe them $227. Now, I am thinking it is worth it to pay the shysters the money because when they jump up my bill in September, they could easily charge me more than that within a couple months and say it is their right to increase my rates as they need to.
    If anyone have ideas for organizing the lawsuit, please post them. I am happy to help as I can. DIsh is engaging in abusive practices towards their consumers.

10th of Aug, 2011

Well Dish network has pulled another fast one...They removed another channel that I am paying for from the list that I am supposed to be getting. I am changing back to a real satillite service DIRECTV ASAP. I know that they are gonna make me pay the early termination fee...BUT I am going to contact an attorney ( probably the attorney general for my state) and see if because of them removing programming I paid for..that they are in breech of contract..If so I would have to pay the teermination fee...The law states that when you sign a contract with ANY company...IF either party changes ANYTHING on the aggreement with out the other parties permission, they are in breech of contract...so I will contact the state attorney general for my state ( they have a satillite division because I had to use them before) and see exactly where I stand... ( people check you programming that you are paying for and see how many channels that you are paying for are not on your TV I have found 2 so far...and I am looking each day to find more!!) That friends is a breech of contract!!

• Co
      26th of Jul, 2011

Dish TV needs to get with the 21st century. My credit card was used fraudulantly not once but twice within a 4 day period to the tune of $800. They were notified the first time and didn't even run the card to see that it had been "flagged" as stolen. Guess they don't have that technology. A very SIMPLE yet complicated (for the Executives) safeguard would be to require the people paying by credit card to give the 3 digit security code on the back. After many "assurances" and "apologies" by THREE, count them THREE people in the "executive offices they were "unable to cancel the order and return my money immediately. After a conference call with my bank confirming I was the only one with authorization to use that account - they refused to give me the information on who was using my card. It will take a suponea from the Police Department to acquire that information. To me, they are protecting the people that are stealing and have no regard for the victims. I have directtv and am so VERY HAPPY I chose them over this company who protects all but the victims. I can only hope that Dish TV is also named as a co-defendent in the charges against the people who have been arrested before for doing this. But I'm sure "big business" will slide right through this. DON'T go with this company! They are so competitive that when the police officer called it took him a half hour, getting bounced around and telling them numerous time that he did not want Dish, was not calling about subscribing - he finally had to say, I am trying to arrest someone! Guess that's what you get when you outsource to India!!!

15th of Jul, 2011

I came across your post, lyn elrod, and would like to assist you in getting that cleared up! Could explain what exactly the issue you ran into was? What is the situation with the $26.00? Let me know so I can look into it and help you further!

• Ly
      15th of Jul, 2011

omg! i just got dish network let me tell you they are a scamming company i intend to tell everyone attorney gen the fcc or whomever controls their practices i also know about the $26.00 believe me every one ought to get nervous!!! that is why they want a debit card so they can STEAL from their customers

30th of Jun, 2011

greg195inc, our guide does download at 3 am to keep up to date with what is being played. Our guide should be for 7 days, if you are only getting 2 days you may have to let the receiver update. You can change the time for the updates so its not at 3 am. If you are looking to use a VCR you can do so. There is a way to setup a timer for a VCR in the receiver menu. Here are the steps to get there: Menu, Daily Schedule, Create timer. Here you will be able to pick the type of timer you are looking for. I understand that you would like to have standard definition receivers there are a couple of factors that would prevent you from having SD equipment. For example if you have an Eastern Arc installation HD equipment is compatible and SD is not. If you would like you can email me your account information and I can look into this for you. [email protected]

30th of Jun, 2011

I have tried and tried to get dish network to send me 2 "standard" receivers inplace of the HD receiver I have...so far..no go. The only difference I see between HD and regular tv is with HD you get a smaller screen...I want to watch TV without having to get glasses or binoculars to watch it...Why Michael Hurst can't I get standard equipment and why am I forced to watch something I don't care for? I want regular everyday TV I don't care for HD!!

• Mo
      28th of Jun, 2011

I cancelled my Dish Network 2/2011- when I called to cancel & they could not sell me additional programs they transferred me 3 times to try & convince me to keep them, which only made me more determined to cancel. A supervisor then told me they wouldn't cancel the service until my bill was paid in full. Since I was overpaid $178.27 fine, refund my money & cancel. She then became very snippy & said my service was cancelled- that took less than a minute to shut off. The refund check however did not come for 2 months. Then it was only $134. I called & was told they keep so if I chose to sign up again they have the deposit. Told him didn't want to ever sign up again, give me my money. End of May received $42 (still not the full amount of $178.42 due), by this time original check had expired (did not want to cash any checks until full amount received). Called again & hung up on 3 times. Advised original check no longer good, reissue and should be for $136.27-was on the phone for 45 minutes.
    One June 27 received a check for $42. Called & was hung up on when transferring to supervisor 3 times. Finally put me thru to Danette Hughs ( 720 514 8555 ext 70379.). She told me first $42 check was voided and a new on reissued (no idea why). The check for $136.27 was processed on June 15th and I should received in another week or 2 seems it takes 2-3 weeks after processing. She at least was friendly & the first person to give me her full name & direct number. Will see if I get the check now.

11th of May, 2011

Dear Friends, I wrote to Michael Hurst about Dish Network, explaining the problems I was having...And asked why does their system shut down every day at 3 am to "download" stuff and that their guide also has to be downloaded every day or so to see what is on tv. AND with their system...you can only find out what is on TV for about 2 days. I explained to him that with Directv...you don't have to download anything..it is all automatic..not Interruption of your TV viewing...and that thier guide is for 7 to 10 days. Now if Directv can have a system like that...whay can't dish? Also I can use my VCR with directv to record programs...can't so that with Dish network. I guess they think I will pay extra money for a DVR? WRONG. Why pay for a DRV when my VCR works jsut as well AND it doesn't cost me money to use it. DIRECTV here I come asap. Dish Network...the ONLY thing you have going for you is the price!! Directv beats you in EVERY other catagory!!!

4th of May, 2011

Hi there Disappointed with DISHNetwork! I happened to read your post & I'm extremely sorry to hear about all these issues you have experienced with
    DISH Network! I'll introduce myself, my name is Michael Hurst & I work for DISH Network, in our
    Executive Resolutions Department & I would be more then happy to help you get this resolved. Since this is a public
    forum you can e-mail me if you'd like with any additional information & then you & I can work together and definitely make sure
    we get this all fixed for you! My email is [email protected] Take care & Hope to hear from you soon! –Michael

• Di
      3rd of May, 2011

I am so frustrated with Dish Network. Their customer service is horrible. When choosing whether to go with cable or Dish, Dish assured me that the fee would be a certain amount each month. I explained to them it was for my parents who are on a fixed income. After two months the bills would come in higher. Each month I would have to call and they would issue a credit that would last for 12 months. This went on for about 4 months. The last statement, as usual, the bill was higher. Each month I call I'm on for a least 1 hour, they are condesending and arrogant. The last "supervisor" I spoke with basically told me if I didn't like it tough and said that he would take the credits away!!! What is the matter with these people and why are they still in business? I told him that I was going to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and he basically said "they have a copy of our contract and it doesn't guarentee any price and we were committed for 2 years!" The contract was signed by my 87 year old father on a small computer the installer gave him. If he had said he was going to read through the whole thing the installer would have been there a long while. It was bascially sign here, here and here. What a scam. HATE DishNetwork. Most horrible customer service ever!!! Avoid them at all costs!

• Fo
      5th of Apr, 2011

Hi, An improperly installed satellite DISH From DISH atop my roof caused a gaping hole in my roof and it was discovered in FEB 2011 (8 years later) by a technician who discovered it, concealed it from me, photographed it and concealed that, and then left my home with the DISH hanging off my roof atop my bathroom window.
    For four days I spent five hours a day on the phone trying to get a supervisor to call me concerning the alleged damage on my roof and I warned them that the dish could further damage my property and fall off and hurt someone and that we were expecting extreme weather. NO ONE responded. I finally escalated it via a secretary to a VP, Mr. Kelly and she connected me with a claims manager. Well when my contractor went up to roof
    he confirmed the damage left by the contractor and the fact that the dish was never installed properly..no tar to protect roof. It rained in my home due to d ish hanging off roof..into two levels causing severe water damage.
    My contractor fixed roof hole and when he opened dry wall..there is was, MOLD. Years of accumulation and new
    wet damage. DISH from that day forward over one month failed to respond and put it in the hands of their
    insurer Gallagher Basset who ignored me. The contamination spread to my entire home and me and my dog are ina hotel. They've refused to respond, haven't paid me, and remediation is a 16-30 K ticket. They must be made accountable. Further I was billed for two months of not having a satellite or home!

• Ly
      4th of Mar, 2011

It was good to find that other people are as discouraged by the very poor and very timing consuming customer service of this company. We didn't have service for over a month; we live 30 miles out of town in the mountains. They didn't install our dish to sustain the winter weather. Once a repair agent came out - which one of us had to stay home from work to meet with, the reception has been fine ever since. The company would only credit us for the days they had documented and only at a partial rate. Factor in a days loss of wages for my husband to meet with this repair service it was an expensive decision to agree to this service. We in essence payed for a service we couldn't access due to their installation failure. The representative was rude and it was apparent that my satisfaction was not the priority. I am tied into a ridiculous 2 year contract, so we are forced to deal with this nonsense unless we want to pay to get out of it. It is a terribly unethical catch 22; a complete absense of integrity in this company.

1st of Mar, 2011

Dish network is awful I purchased their HD package this week and I am totally disappointed in it...You cannot use your VCR with thier system. their picture quailty is not as good as Directv's without HD ( what does that tell you about Dish?) they want about 200 bucks to cancel...what happened to teh 3 day right to cancel that ALL states had in force as well as the US had? What is going on here? Has Dish Network found a way to "cheat" and obtain money illegally? I mean come on...if your service isn't up to par you should remove your equipment with no questions asked ( within the 3 day period anyway) Directv runs circles around Dish Network...I ma sorry i am stuck for 24 months, BUT Charlie Ergan ( or ergen however it is spelled) I can promise you this sir I will tell everyone I meet about your sorry service and how you steal people's money...How can you sleep well at night knowing all the people like me you have ripped off, claiming your service is better than directv? You sir are no where close to Directv..and the way you keep going, you never will be...Downloading every 24 hours? what is that? receiver turning off right in the middle of watching a program just because you haven't "touched" the remote in a couple of hours Directv NEVER does any of that!! NEVER EVER...Dish Network is a JOKE and we the public have to pay for it!~!!!

• Jm
      4th of Feb, 2011

last year my boyfriend and i got dish. that was the begining of one of our biggest nightmares.
    after having dish tell us we would be set up with an agreeable package for 24.99 a month and free instalation we set an appointment.
    the installer came out took a look and told us we would need 100 dollar deposit then charged us for instalation and on top of that our monthly rate was going to be higher as well. regaurdless we got hooked up.
    three months later we moved and where told we would have free dish mover. needless to say they then wanted to charge us 100 dollars for moving even though we reset and alligned the dish ourselves.
    we cancled our service with them on the first of the month. yet still dish refuses to close our account with them until the middle of the month all the while charging us for the service. on top of all that they are trying to tell us that we have to pay them another 315 dollars for who knows what.
    the whole thing has added to my grey hair and redused my nails to bloody little stumps.
    we all need to come together in a big class action law suite against these modern day but just as ruthless pirates.

• Mt
      6th of Jan, 2011

I completely agree.. They tried the same exact thing with me and now I am getting billed for incredibly high shipping bills for thier equipment. They left a huge hole in my house and the equipment is on the ground outside! BE AWARE OF DISH NEWWORK!!!
    Ursa