Discover Enterprise / Ripping off Money by trickery

1 Gulfport, MS, United States Review updated:

A person calls impersonating your credit card company. They say they need to remove some erroneous charges from your card, they don't need any information they have all your card information, but they do need you to first accept the offer so they can then cancel it. They explain it is the only way the company can remove the erroneous charges.

They are going to send you some gifts for the troubles this is causing you. Don't be fooled. What you have now done is signed up for 900.00 plus dollars worth of magazines but if you cancel your card they try to settle with you for 367 dollars for something you didn't even order. This is a major scam and is a major burden for the older folks...please watch out...this company is the pittsss...

Di

Comments

• Ad
      16th of Mar, 2009

discover enterprise
    As many of you listen the call offering some subscriptions and I was able to cancel all of them but two months after that call, I received an other call from discover enterprise saying that my account was in past due, I told them that I never received nothing form Discover enterprise and I didn’t want the service but they told me that I cannot cancel the subscription because the trial period was expired two month ago. In fact I never knew anything about this company until they call me.

I tried to explain them that how can I cancel a service that I didn’t know I had and I didn’t received information about it in the mail. But they just don’t care, they have a very un etical way to make business.

To avoid fraudulent charges I cancel the credit card account but now I have received a collection letter what can I do? Can some one share how the resolve this problem?

• Sc
      18th of Mar, 2009

ITS A FAKE DEBT COLLECTION LETTER!! WE GOT ONE IN THE MAIL FROM "DISCOVER ENTERPRISE" SAYING DEBT COLLECTION WITH "ACA INTERNATIONAL DEBT COLLECTION INTERNATIONAL'S" LETTER HEAD AT THE TOP. THIS LETTER HEAD IS FAKE! JUST LOOK AT IT, ITS A XEROX COPY. WE CALLED THIS COLLECTION AGANCY AND THEY HAD NO IDEA WHO "DISCOVER ENTERPRISE" WAS. THEY SAID THEY DIDNT EVEN COLLECT DEBTS FROM PEOPLE. WE HAD TO LOOK UP THE COLLECTION AGANCY ONLINE THOUGH TO GET THEIR NUMBER BECAUSE THE NUMBER THEY PUT ON THE LETTER WENT STRAIGHT TO "DISCOVER ENTERPRISE".
    THESE PEOPLE ARE DUMB, WE DIDNT NOTICE THE MONEY THEY HAVE BEEN TAKING FROM OUR ACCOUNT UNITIL WE GOT A NEW CARD AND THEY SENT US A LETTER FOR DEBT FOR SOME MAGAZINE WE NEVER GOT. DO NOT GIVE IN TO THIS SCAM! RESEARCH EVERYTHING ON THIER SO CALLED DEBT COLLECTION LETTER AND DISPUTE THE CHARGES WITH YOUR BANK.
    THE CUSTOMER SERVICE PEOPLE TRY TO TALK PROFESSIONAL TO BUT DONT BE FOOLED, WE CALLED THEM ON THIER FAKE LETTER HEAD AND THEY CAME UP WITH SOME BULL! THEY BASICALLY SAID WE WERE GETTING CHARGED FOR SOME MAGAZINE WE NEVER GOT..WHICH IS OBVIOUS THEY ARE SCAMMERS! REAL MAGAZINES WILL NOT CHARGE YOU FOR SOMETHING YOU NEVER GOT.
    ANOTHER THING THAT DREW A RED FLAG WAS THAT THE CHARGES WERE FROM CALIFORNIA BUT THE COMPANYS RETURN ADDRESS IS IN RENO, NEVEDA? THE ADDRESS DOES EVEN EXSICT.
    TALKING ABOUT THESE PEOPLE MAKE ME ANGRY. I HOPE THEY GET WHATS COMING TO THEM!

• Be
      5th of Apr, 2009

I did some research on the address where Discovery Enterprise comes from or should i say where they send and receive their mail:
    The UPS Store # 0920
    2063 MAIN ST
    OAKLEY, CA 94561-3302 - USA
    Pack & Ship Promise Location*
    Phone: (925)625-0221
    Does that address looks familiar?

• Ta
      24th of Apr, 2009

They got me to! I just closed my bank account hopeing not to have to deal with any more charges I was just wondering if the magazine charges ever hurt anyones credit? Where the collection papers just BS?

Sarasota Fl

• Me
      9th of Jul, 2009

I was just telemarketed by this same company they said that they had a two hundred dollar gift card for me from several stores some of which I have never shopped for being a loyal customer all I had to do was give them my card number and experation date in order for them to ship the card to me so I googled this company while I was on the phone with them.when I confronted them with this site they hung up on me. Go figure

• 26
      13th of Jul, 2009

I also got this call for the same gift card, at first i accepted the card but now i have known about them and i have blocked my credit card, I also tried to cancel the package but they told to call after two days to make it cancel...I am worried how to cancel it so that I can't be cheated any more. please please help me!!

• Li
      14th of Jul, 2009

They got a hold of my credit and I got my first "late notice" they say I have to pay monthly or pay a $420 cancellation fee. There is no talking to this company...I am having my cc company dispute the charges, but I too am worried this will do something to my credit, will it?

• Kt
      17th of Jul, 2009

I just got called about the $200 gift card too. I refused to give them any information about my credit card after they asked for the expiration date. Hopefully they can't do anything with the information they already had (name, address, ph #, and type of credit card I have) What jerks!! When I told the manager I felt uneasy about giving him any card information he told me I was "misinformed" and should get more "informed" and then hung up. Well, I am now informed and glad that I didn't give them any information--idiots. People like that just need to not exist.

• Kr
      29th of Jul, 2009

I would suggest that you get your credit card/bank involved ASAP. Usually they will investigate the company and the charge and in this case, it is clear that it is fraudulent. One thing that we were worried about is that we had agreed to the FREE subscription of the magazine, and if that could be interpreted as an agreement for the paid subscription. However after researching about oral contracts, certain criteria must be met. This is what I found online about oral contracts :

Written contracts are usually obvious. What aren't as obvious are the contracts that we form when we speak with each other.

If you agree to do something, sell something, or buy something and someone else acts on your statement, you may have formed an enforceable contract. Things can get a bit tricky though since rules vary about what contracts can be formed verbally.

If someone does act on your statement, a contract has still not been formed if:

1. You have agreed to do something that is illegal. You cannot enforce a contract to do something that is a violation of any local, state, or federal law.
    2. If the terms of the agreement were not specified. If an amount or a specific action was not indicated, you don't have a contract.
    3. If one or both parties were mistaken about a fundamental part of the agreement (ex. I agreed to purchase your stereo but I thought we were talking about the big one and you thought we were talking about the small one)
    4. The subject or terms of the agreement are prohibited under the law. (examples: real estate contracts must be in writing and credit card companies cannot charge 50% annual interest)

I think that anyone who tries to get out of this scam will most likely be successful, just get your bank account involved and do lots of research!

• Th
      23rd of Jan, 2010

I got called a week and a half ago by this company. They said since I had been such a loyal customer they were going to send me a $300 gas rebate. Of course then they went on to tell me I would have to review some offers and that I could cancel at anytime. I usually don't do this type of thing, but I thought, what the hey. I can cancel. Before the call ended, I changed my mind and told her I did not want to do this. She went on and on and finally I hung up on her (mistake). Anyway, I started getting letters in the mail about the free offers. I was busy and didn't get a chance to look a them for a couple of days. I got another one yesterday that said that my magazines should begin arriving so0n. I finally checked my credit card account and found they had charged me for S&H for 3 companies and $25 for an entertainment book. I called and talked to Marci - what a sweetheart. Ha! She said of course I could change my mind and I could write refused on the package when it comes but the 4.95 was non refundable. I said how can you charge me when I said NO, but she kept repeating herself. I called back and asked to talk to her supervisor and she said she was the highest, no one else to talk to. I ended up screaming at her - and I don't scream! She did cancel my account. We canceled our credit card so they won't be able to charge us again. The other 2 companies were quite helpful and will refund the S&H (so they say). The one I have to write to. The one guy said "If you will remember they said the S%H would be nonrefundable" and I said they never told me that! I know if they would have I never would have agreed, even for $300. I'm going to try to get a transcript of the call (the first one) but probably won't be able to. There was nothing said about a $25 entertainment book that was charged to me even before I received any other info from them. This company is a scam artist and a fraud! Don't deal with them!

7th of Sep, 2010

i got it to and they said i had to pay a minimum of 233.15, if i dont pay it will i get in trouble