Discover Card / possible scam to get one to activate fraud protection

I signed up for a Zero Percent card with Discover. Recieved my Cards in the mail and activated the cards. 2-3 months later I recieved a paper stating that my account cards had not been activated. When calling the number on the paper it asked for my Social Security Number. I promptly ended the call. I called Discover directly to inquire as to whether my cards had been activated and they stated that they were. However, since I recieved this paper, someone was trying to access my account information and I should sign up for fraud protection. I have seen other complaints about Discover Card signing users up for Fraud Protection that they feel they did not authorize. Could this be a method they are using to do this? The number I was given to call to "activate" my card was [protected]. Anyone reciving something with this number should be cautious.

Ca

Comments

25th of Sep, 2009

I just had the EXACT SAME THING happen to me!!! I signed up for a zero percent balance-transfer card from Discover earlier this year and activated the card as soon as I got it. I got a notice in the mail today (Sep 25 2009) saying the following:

"The new Discover card that we recently sent you has not been activated. Please contact us today by calling 1-866-238-9489 to confirm you have received your card(s). We plan to send you a replacement card if we don't hear from you by 09/25/09. For your security purposes, your card must be activated before you can begin using it."

The notice had my name, address and the last 4 digits of my card number on it.

I called Discover immediately to double check that my card was active (which it was) and that they hadn't issued another card (which they hadn't). But as soon as I explained to the representative why I was calling and that I thought I had received a possible postal mail credit card scam she went into immediate hard sell mode in trying to get me to sign up for Discover's Identity Theft protection service at $9/month. She said that since it seemed as if someone was trying to access my account then I should at least sign up for a couple months and then cancel when I felt I didn't need it anymore. She even went as far as to say that she'd give me the number to cancel while I was on the phone so I would know that it was an easy, straightforward cancellation process.

The entire call felt like a high pressure sales tactic so I stalled and said I needed to think about it but would call back later once I'd made up my mind. Instead, I immediately jumped on Google and found this review with someone having the same experience as I did. This is all very fishy to me... I would hate to think that Discover was running a scam to scare people into signing up for extra, unneeded services. It doesn't help their case that I also just received a copy of my new account agreement with all the changes mandated by the new credit card laws coming into effect. Seems like Discover is trying to drum up extra revenue if you ask me...

• Nd
      26th of Dec, 2010

All of those Credit Card Insurance plans are scams. Not one will ever do anything except delay the payments. They don't really shut off the card even, so whats the point to it. you already had that much protection before paying extra for it.

Cut every credit card you have up in pieces and close the accounts.

Transunion and Equifax are the electronic crimes reporting companies in charge of your credit ratings and these electronic accounts. But they are companies founded by Casino owners ! Casino Fraudsters are supposed to be in charge of the Nations credit ratings ?

• Gl
      4th of Aug, 2017

That is what Discover has been taken to federal court for theses past years< Now they are tying their cards to the homes of old people!