Discover Card / scam and cheating

Opened a zero percent account. We've paid the bill every month on time. Out of the blue on the most recent billing statement they assert that we didn't pay the bill. We did pay the bill and have record of payment being made and subtracted from our bank account. Discover immediately raised our interest rate through the roof and nailed us with hundreds of dollars of penalties and fees. Their customer service department refuses to look into or fix the problem. DO NOT TRUST these lying, cheating ### and above all do not even THINK about doing business with them. Their zero percent deal was absolutely 'too good to be true.'

Be

Comments

• Va
      19th of Sep, 2008

I have also filed a complaint with the FTC #20289939 regarding this incident. I am a Stroke survivor, and when I applied for an unsolicited application on what was portrayed to be 0fee low interest rate balance transfer card/combo Shell Gas Card it sounded good on the onset. The sales Rep.(Larry) wouldn't reveal his last name took my information and I upon answering questions made mention before anything else was mentioned that I had one blemish on my CRA a BK7 in 2002 brought on by medical expenses. He assured me that if my payment history since then had been fine that would not impact me. I had checked my FICO score 24hours prior and at 702 felt good about my standing but I expressed my concerns of inquiries counting against me and impacting my score. But the offer of a 4% 0 fee balance transfer from my Wells Fargo in Good Standing sounded attractive. They declined due to Bankruptcy in my past contrary to what the Rep. stated and caused me to gain a black mark (inquiry) that will stay for 2 years. These People are Snakes.

Quite frankly after reading some of this feedback it may be a good thing I never got involved with them. However, the fact that you can disclose information upfront before someone commits to a Hard Inquiry on your CRA Report that will stay with you for 2 years is just underhanded business practice.

• Me
      9th of Dec, 2008

Perhaps you are confusing the Shell credit card with Discover, they are NOT the same creditor, duh, get your facts straight before you post a complaint

• Ro
      28th of Jan, 2009
    discover
    Delaware

i received notice from discover credit card about my credit card(s).
    The notice was not due to late, overages or anything i did.
    Notice of CHANGES TO YOUR STANDARD RATE FOR PURCHASES.
    MY RATE WILL CHANGED BASED "ON THE HIGHER COST OF DOING BUSINESS DUE TO THE CHALLENGING ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT"
    IT WILL NOW BE P R I M E PLUS 8.99%
    BESIDE BREATHING, THIS IS MY ECONOMIC REWARD FOR TRYING TO KEEP MY CREDIT INTACT?

• Ra
      7th of Feb, 2009

I got the same message from Discover at the same time. It seems the good paying customers are getting stuck with the paying more because of the ones not paying their bill and defaulting on the credit card. It is the same when thieves steal from stores, everyone else has to pay more for the losses. I don't like it but is it what it is. I plan just to pay it off the balance every month to keep balance at zero. That will teach them...instead of some income Discover had coming in on interest, they will get none.

9th of Jul, 2009

Waatch out for Discover, They change your due date and then charge you a fee for a late payment, then they up your interest rate at least 7% more!

• Cr
      7th of Dec, 2009

Any bank or credit card company cannot determine your credit worthiness until you apply for credit, which involves a hard credit check. Pre-Approval is based on vague information. That is the entire basis for credit and credit checks in the first place. You should focus on improving your credit score rather than damaging Discover Card's reputation. Discover has no affiliation with Shell anyway, so perhaps you have confused Discover with another creditor???
    One credit check will not majorly affect your credit. More than likely, you have applied for many credit cards or loans recently. of course, like many of the complaints on this site, you are not telling the entire story. Good Luck!

• Ce
      6th of Jun, 2010
    N/A
    Willow Springs
    Missouri

we borrowed from local bank to pay discover credit card balance, local bank cut check for balance stated on statement, and wired to discover, now discover wants us to pay more finance chargers on balance of $344.94. this is unfair, they should except the balance they have on the statement. Cecil J. Green

• Pa
      15th of Jan, 2011

i had a similar occurrence. i paid my bill every month (online), and it showed up as paid on the website. turns out they weren't applying the payments to my account, claiming i had changed my checking account info. (i hadn't -- it's been the same for years. no reason to). when i finally confronted them, they gave me a $100 credit but didn't apply the new payment either. i am now over 120 days delinquent on my credit report due to their scamming ways, and the matter is still not resolved. i've asked them to un-report the non-payments (as i have proof that i made them, and the website says i made them), but they refuse. BEWARE DISCOVER!!!

• Is
      17th of May, 2011

I have received an offer from the DISCOVER Card Services in February 2011. They offered 0% APR for 15 months, $0 set-up and maintenance fees for the life of the card. They also offered in their letter $100 reward as soon as I make $1, 000 in purchases within 3 months on my account. I called the DISCOVER on the 1 800 364 5188 from my Brooklyn home on March 31st and I made a contract with them. I got $2, 500 credit line. They tried to convince me to sign up for their payment protection plan. I refused them. A week later I got my card, set-up my online account and made $1, 000 in purchases. Weeks passed and when I checked my online account on May 16th I was unpleasantly surprised when I saw a $49 Annual Fee charge on my card. I called them in order to inquire about the charge and only the third customer representative, a supervisor, could answer to my questions. She told me that someone decided at the DISCOVER card services, after the contract was made over the phone on March 31st, that I'm ineligible for their offer and as a result -without my approval- they decided to alter the terms. They just “forgot” to let me know about the changes. I was told that I had to pay $49 Annual fee and I cannot get the $100 reward even though I made the $1, 000 in purchases and paid the balance. I had $0 debt. I was told that they could cancel the $49 Annual Fee if I close my account within a few days. This was a typical case of bait and switch! I was mad as hell! I was supposed to get $100 reward from them however they want me to pay for them $49 a year! How ridiculous is that? I cancelled my card in a heartbeat! I will never make another contract with them! How can someone trust a credit card service company if it alters the agreement without letting know the customer about the changes? DISCOVER Card Services is like a SCAM ARTIST. STAY AWAY FROM DISCOVER!

• El
      18th of Sep, 2012
    Discover Finance - Ask more money
    Discover Finance

Discover Finance called me and told that I am approved for a $6000 loan. They asked to pay me $200 processing fee. Then they asked me to pay another $400 as secure money. Then another number of 600 appeared and etc. I think I will never get the loan but how can I return the money I already paid?

• Oi
      30th of Apr, 2013
    Discover Bank
    Salt Lake City
    Utah

Throughout several transaction disputes, I quit Discover in my life. They always stand on the side of the evil enterprises. They always believe the scam people, not the customers happily using the high rate cash back. Discover never cares about their customers. For the future safety, I stop all their services. I dispute the same cases through VISA, and VISA always takes care of my cases carefully. They keep tracking and figuring out what happened and happening. VISA does listen to their customers.
    If you meet any fraud transaction, do not expect you will get the money back since Discover will not help you at all. They will reverse your dispute whatever proof you provide to them.

• Ac
      3rd of Aug, 2016
    Discover Card - Not consumer friendly - watch your fees!!!
    Discover Card

I HATE DISCOVER AND ANYONE ASKS ME I WILL NOT RECOMMEND THEM. I had signed up for payment plan because I had gotten behind in my bills due to a divorce. They reduced the payment and reduced the interest. They did not tell me that they did not adjust the due date so each time I made a payment IT WAS LATE. They would toggle between charging me $25 and $39 in late fees. I did not catch this as I thought everything was okay, the payments were automatically deducted. MY FAULT. I INCURRED OVER $500 in fees they won't adjust.

• Po
      3rd of Aug, 2016

So your due date stayed the same and you have a problem with it?

3rd of Aug, 2016
    Discover card/finanncial services - interest rate increase
    Discover card

Discover card increased interest rate two weeks prior to the new cedit card laws took effect without any justifiable reasons. the interest rate they charge is three to four times as much as the other companies.

10th of Feb, 2017

DISCOVER IS SOOOOOOOO DISGUSTING. THEY WILL HANG YOU OUT THERE. THERE IS NOTHING TO SAY NICE ABOUT THEM THE HAVE DISCOVERED HOW TO SCAM YOU BECAREFUL☹️☹️😠

• Ka
      16th of Feb, 2017

@Madsavage lol completely not true haha you probably just don't look at your bill and blame them for things that are 100% your fault. they are definitely the easiest nicest company I have ever dealt with.

• Ju
      23rd of Jul, 2018

@kaylaharding108 NOT SO THEY ARE THE MOST DISHONEST COMPANY THAT EVER WAS!!!