DiscouNTBooksales / Deceptive Practices

1 FL, United States Review updated:

I searched the web for a particular book that I wanted. I found a fair price for the book at DiscountBookSales.com, a/k/a Smart Savings Center.

I carefully read everything on the site about what I was buying. I was asked if I wanted to try a 7 day free "membership" in their savings club. I clearly checked "No Thanks." I proceeded to the checkout and submitted payment via Discover Card. I printed out my receipt for my records. However, a comment on the web site about "membership Benefits" caught my attention. I grew suspicious.

I immediately called the 866 number for Discount Book Sales. The call was answered by Smart Savings Center. I talked with "Raymond, " who told me that my book purchase and 7 Day Free Trial for the "Savings Club" membership had been processed. I explained that I SPECIFICALLY checked "NO Thanks" when "given the choice" to try the membership. I told Raymond emphatically that I had DECLINED. Raymond informed me, that when one hits the "check-out" button "AN AUTOMATIC FREE 7 DAY FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP IS INCLUDED WHETHER ONE CHECKS YES OR NO TO THE OFFER.

At the end of the 7 day trial period IF THE PURCHASER DOES NOT CONTACT SMART SAVINGS CENTER AT CANCEL THE MEMBERSHIP, HIS/HER CREDIT CARD IS BILLED $19.95 A MONTH EVERY MONTH UNTIL THE MEMBERSHIP IS CANCELED.

I told Raymond that that practice was as deceitful and sleazy as anything I've ever found on the net. I canceled the book order and MY FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP that I didn't sign up for.

What was almost as bad was when I called Discover Card to report these creeps. I found no sympathy or understanding there. Surprise, surprise!! I was clearly told that such practices were not considered fraud. ALL of the responsibility for such incidents rests totally with the consumer. The fact that Discover Card's profit model facilitates fraud/deceptive practices doesn't matter. Why? Because they make most of their money from merchants like Smart Savings Center b/d/a: DiscountBookSales.com. While we, the consumers, are getting fleeced we have the privilege of paying card companies like Discover, anywhere from 15% to 28% vigorish. Ooops! I mean interest.

So the bottom line is folks, lets go ahead a give these fat-cats a bail-out while they assist others in flim-flamming us.

As the saying goes...CAVEAT EMPTOR (Let the buyer beware!)

I'm going back to Amazon! They don't always have the best prices, but at least you can do business with them without getting unwanted sex performed on your body!!

We're on our own folks! Good luck.

Comments

Pe
  19th of Jan, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I called Discount Book Sales a few minutes ago (1-19-2009 @ 12:05PM) and I wanted to order some books that was really cheap or so I thought until they told me I had to join their book club so to speak. It was going to cost me $19.99 a month and I had to sign up in order to order any books but they told me I could stop it after a month if I wasn't pleased. If I forget to stop it they would take the money out of my account every month. I really think that this Discount Book Sales are just a rip off for the people. I would never order anything from these people. Please be careful when doing any business with these people.

Cn
  8th of Jul, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I had the same thing happen. I declined the free membership when I ordered the books. I received 3 emails about my book order. Nothing about a membership. Don't you think if the membership was legitimate, I would have received a "welcome" email detailing the membership? I received nothing like this. I have called my credit card to dispute the charge and made a report with BBB.

Gr
  10th of Aug, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I have filed a complaint on this company with Boca Raton BBB and the Florida Attorney General. I have a lawyer friend, I think I'll have her draft up a complaint letter for their small claims court. They took my daughter for more than $200. She can't even get through to the telephone number - it is disconnected...surprise, surprise.

I agree, back to Amazon.

Be
  23rd of Oct, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I ordered a book from Discountbook sales which was cancelled same day because they could not obtain the title. I never signed up for any trial membership because I know these are scams to steal your money. They charged my account for a $1 and I never got any information. I filed a dispute with my bank and four days later they send me a cancellation email. I called them and they claim they sent me a welcome email which ofcourse the customer service person says it probably went to my spam. I check my spam email everyday and don't have a single email from them. I have opened a dispute and i'm reporting them to the BBB and anyone else who will listen. I hate it when companies rip hard working Americans. Beware of this company.

Ma
  9th of Mar, 2011

I ordered a book through them, and was not informed that I was signing up for a "membership." My card was then charged recurringly for 4 months, until I caught it. They charge $9.95 every month for a membership you apparently opt-in when you purchase anything through them. This is not documented on their site; it's fraud. I called the FTC and am reporting with the BBB. I called Discountbooksales.com and was asked very personal questions, questions that credit bureaus ask when verifying your identity. I refused to answer them and was told that they could not delete my information unless I answered those questions. I demanded to speak to a manager whereupon I was told they would not delete my information. This company needs to be stopped.