DiscountBookSale.com / SMARTSAVINGCENTER.COM

1 Redford, MI, United States Review updated:

This svc is a rip off, I was informed if you click submit order; which you must click to place an order that you automatically agree to membership.
Call the number I did it at 4:30 in the morning and got through. Make sure you get a name and confirmation number, no need to ask for a credit they wont give you nothing but grief and an arguement. Call your bank and complain that the charges were unauthorized they will credit it back to you for the month, but if you dont get it canceled you will have to do this monthly with your bank. You may have to complete forms from you bank if this carries on for more than a month... good luck
cancellation phone number is [protected]
Their are a lot of companies creating such fraud, just complete the same process if you have this problem again. Imagine how much money these companies make on the people who dont contact their banks.

Ka

Comments

• Jr
      15th of Jan, 2009

I went through the same thing. The web site should be taken off the web. Who moniters these scams?

• Ar
      18th of Jan, 2009

The scam starts off with a $1.00 charge/fee on your monthly credit statement...then the discounted book fee appears...then a whopping "discounted low price" of just under $30.00 - $29.95 fee gets on your cc bill. That's how they run their game.

In your confirmation email they'll tell you about the 7 day cancellation fee and the MONTHLY charge of $29.95 until you cancel...DO NOT SIGN UP WIT THESE GUYS!!! I thought someone had stolen my identity online when I saw these charges. I immediately called them up and shut my membership down, when asked the reason I answered "it's ###" the woman on the other side of the phone [somewhere in India] understood and didn't even try to put up a fight - though I will fight with my own cc to erase these excess charges...DON'T BE FOOLED by smartsavingscenter.com 800 511 6538
    don't do it!

• Th
      10th of Feb, 2009

Unfortunatly This happened to me too. Right after I ordered my book they sent an email about this membership. When I finally called the guy talked about how there are other sites connected to it and that I get two free dvds a month. Wow 2 dvds for 30 bucks! come on, I bought a book I don't want any Dvds! Even after I canceled it I still get charged a dollar as a processing fee. Be careful when shopping online.

• Cm
      20th of Feb, 2009

We filed a report with the Better Business Bureau in West Palm Beach FL - I would suggest you do the same.

• Ra
      27th of Feb, 2009

I was going to purchase a book through this company after putting my credit card information in two times, both saying there was a card error, they charged my card 2 times plus another dollar. No they are saying they have no record of my card or email. My bank is now looking into fraud.

• Le
      4th of Mar, 2009

I ordered a book through DisccountBookSale.com on February 25, 2009. The next day, I noticed a $1 charage on my credit card for SmartSavings.com. Io found out that DiscountBookSale automatically enrolls buyers in SmartSavings.com for $1 a month so I cancelled the membership. Just yesterday, a new charge ($29.95) showed up on my credit card for HotBookSale.com. Apparently, customers of DiscountBookSale.com are also enrolled in HotBookSale.com for $29.95/month. I was unaware of this and did not cancel in time and they refused to refund my "membership fee." DO NOT buy anything from any of these so called businesses.

• Do
      29th of Mar, 2009

EVEN THOUGH YOU THINK YOU CANCELLED, THEY STILL HAVE YOUR CREDIT CARD INFORMATION, WATCH OUT THEY WILL CHARGE YOU AGAIN. IT HAPPEND TO ME. THEY ARE A TOTAL SCAM. I JUST CANCELLED MY CREDIT CARD TODAY. TO AVOID ANY MORE CHARGES,

GOOD LUCK WITH THIS SCAM!

DOLORES D.

• Di
      12th of Apr, 2009

I was also unaware of the fact that I was joining a club that required monthly fees. I thought I was just getting a good price. My book would've cost around $15 including shipping if I'd shopped elsewhere. Instead, I ended up paying about $10 for the book plus $20 for the "membership." What a rip off. Steer clear.

• Az
      25th of May, 2009

THANK YOU GUYS!! i almost bought a book from these people, hesitated and did a search for complaitns!! i am so sorry you guys got burned. thanks for letting others know NOT to deal with these theives!!
    Thanks again!

• Np
      25th of Jun, 2009
    DiscountBookSale.com - charged for &membership& when purchased books
    Phone: 866-707-5858
    discountbooksale.com

Just discovered a $12 withdrawal from the debit card I used to purchase books from this website (actually I don't even remember this site - I bought books from Amazon... I thought.) I also found another $12 withdrawal by them from one month ago, and a $24.54 withdrawal 6 days before that. I called the number and the girl tells me I purchased a "membership" when I purchased the books (the $24.54 charge). She said that it was in the email I received regarding the purchase. I can't check on this because I had a computer virus and all my purchase confirmations were wiped out. But I KNOW I never received any other emails or mail regarding this membership. And why would they pull out money 6 days after my purchase for books?! I still have serious doubts I even bought books through them in the first place! They cancelled my membership when i called, but said they will not refund that money.

• Ni
      10th of Jul, 2009

I ordered a dvd from them and click accept 18.95$ order and then i look at my account a few days later and im enrolled in a Membership!? for and additional 19.95 added to my payment!?
    SCAMS!!!

• Ge
      13th of Aug, 2009
    DiscountBookSale.com - fraudulent membership
    Florida

As written to Oprah.com

This summer I plan to read World Without End. I've already read The Pillars of the Earth, thanks to your book club advice and just loved it. So, on 7/31/09, I went online to order World Without End, used, to save money. Found it on DiscountBooksSale.com. I've pasted below a letter I had to write to this company because of my purchase with them. Note: I am an online merchant myself with a website of over 8, 000 items for 12 years now. My company is http://www.GetSuckered.com a Candy, Cake and Baking supplies website. I have worked really hard to grow my business online, really hard. I would love to be on the show to discuss making it safer to order online so businesses like mine won't be hurt by fraudulent companies!

Date: 8/13/09

DiscountBookSale.com

When I bought a book from you on 7/31/09 for a total of $13.12, you charged me for the book and then another charge of $19.95, which I only found out about today 8/13/09. When I called to see what the extra charge was for, you say I signed up for a membership which allowed you to charge me a separate fee of $19.95. I never saw or agreed to a membership. I have cancelled the membership today and I have also reported this as a fraudulent charge to my card. I never received any emails regarding the membership or the 19.95 charge when I ordered. Today I am looking all over your website for info on the membership, which I was told today on the phone that you planned to charge me $19.95 monthly! I was also told by you that you will not reverse the original charge since it's more than 3 days since 7/31/09! As a merchant on the internet myself for 12 years, I plan to do what I can to make it know that people must beware of your company. I know I did not sign up for a membership. Your company hurts all merchants on the web because you do this to people and then they don't feel safe ordering anything online.

Shame on you!

Jolene Durbin

31st of Aug, 2009
    DiscountBookSale.com - Ripped off for Membership
    Discount Book Sale.com
    Melbourne
    Florida

I was ripped off to the tune of $19.95 for a membership I did not agree to when I ordered two children's books
    for $10.94. When checking my banking info, what do I find but a charge for $19.95; which I guess is happening to everyone, since I did not check further before ordering.

DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS COMPANY UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. In my case, I could have gotten
    copies of this old children's book anywhere for a great price.

• Mm
      18th of Sep, 2009

They did same thing to me. I wish that I can collect enough people to sent DISCOUNTBOOK.com to court.

• Mm
      18th of Sep, 2009

discountbooksale.com made you purchasing 2 memberships while they sold me the book. memships is non-refundable after 10 days. They are robber. I wish I can collect a group people get ripped of from them and send discountbook.com to court

• Be
      23rd of Oct, 2009
    DiscountBookSale.com - Membership Scam
    Discountbooksale.com
    discountbooksale.com

I ordered a book from Discountbook sales which was cancelled same day because they could not obtain the title. I never signed up for any trial membership because I know these are scams to steal your money. They charged my account for a $1 and I never got any information. I filed a dispute with my bank and four days later they send me a cancellation email. I called them and they claim they sent me a welcome email which ofcourse the customer service person says it probably went to my spam. I check my spam email everyday and don't have a single email from them. I have opened a dispute and i'm reporting them to the BBB and anyone else who will listen. I hate it when companies rip hard working Americans.

• Am
      26th of Oct, 2009

Yeah it IS really messed up what they're doing but it CLEARLY states right above the submit button what their intentions are. Didn't your mothers ever tell you READ THE FINE PRINT! I read it and realized exactly what they were doing so deleted all my information and googles them (which I highly recommend anyone do before they buy anything online).

20th of Nov, 2009

The same thing happened to me. This is exactly the same as stealing. Don't use this vendor. They also apparently have other web sites as well. So beware!

6th of Feb, 2010

I just got off the phone with someone at Discount book sale and argued that they had no authorization to take additional money from my checking account. I read all the fine print and at the end, there was a button to click on to order the book as a nonmember. I specifically clicked on the no thanks when this membership was offered. They are a rip off and I will be reporting them to our BBB.

• Le
      16th of Feb, 2010

Yes, this company actually deep discounts books that it does not have in stock and also automatically charges you for a membership without your knowledge. It appears that they make their money with the membership fees and from people who give up trying to recover fees charged for our-of-stock items. I personally can not afford to spend many hours trying to recoup a total of $8. A REAL SCAM! I hope I can get my money back for the book that I ordered, was charged for immediately, and then received an "out of stock" email.