Discount Book Sales / HIDDEN MEMBERSHIP FEE

1 Chicago, IL, United States Review updated:

I WAS CHARGED 19.95 MEMBERSHIP FEE IN ADDITION TO PURCHASE OF 9.09 FOR A BOOK. I WAS NOT AWARE OF THIS CHARGE UNTIL I NOTICED IT ON MY BANK STATEMENT. I INQUIRED BY PHONE TO [protected] AND WAS INFORMED THAT THIS FEE WAS BECAUSE I HAD GOTTEN A DISCOUNT ON THE BOOK THAT I ORDERED AND THAT IT NEEDED TO BE CANCELLED WITHIN 3 DAYS OF MY ORDER.
THE PROBLEM IS THAT IT WAS NOT INDICATED TO ME AT THAT TIME OF PURCHASE, AND HERE IT IS ONE WEEK LATER. IF THIS WAS A LEGITIMATE OR REASONABLE CHARGE-WHYWAS IT NOT PROMINENTLY DISPLAYED TO ME AT TIME OF PURCHASE?
IT WOULD BE REASONABLE TO ASSUME THAT IF CONSUMERS ARE ORDERING ONE DISCOUNTED BOOK WE ARE UNABLE TO AFFORD A MEMBERSHIP FEE DOUBLE THE AMOUNT OF THE BOOK ORDERED. THIS IS FLAGRANT CONSUMER FRAUD. I HAVE REPORTED THIS TO MY CREDIT CARD COMPANY, AND WILL CONTINUE TO PURSUE THIS ON PRINCIPLE. IN ADDITION-I WOULD RECOMMEND TO ANYONE TO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY UNTIL THEY OFFER MORE HONEST INFORMATION TO CONSUMERS BEFORE THEY MAKE INNOCENT PURCHASES.

Comments

• Dr
      14th of Mar, 2011

I also was charged "fake" membership fee. This was not listed or detailed anywhere during the purchase process. Additionally, I was directed to this web site from Amazon where I searched for the book to begin with...disappointed in Amazon for this reference.