Discount book sale / Unauthorized Charges

1 AL, United States Review updated:

After ordering a book, for an unreasonably low price of just $5.08, I was enrolled and charged for a membership that I did NOT authorize. Also, I was charged another fee that has no explanation, and was unauthorized as well.
If that is not bad enough, after placing the order, I received an e-mail stating that the book I ordered was out of stock, and that my book would be shipped when it becomes available. NO THANKS!!!

I DO NOT RECOMEND DOING BUSINESS WITH THIS WEBSITE!! THEY ARE CHARGING ME FOR UNAUTHORIZED CHARGES!!

Sharon

More Discount book sale Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Co
      13th of Jan, 2009
    Discount book sale - Do not use this distributor to purchase any books online
    La Crosse
    Wisconsin

Smartsavingcenter appeared on my account for $29.95. I did not sign up for anything! Please remove me and I expect a full refund! Thank you.

• Ky
      27th of Feb, 2009

I can't make an account!

• Co
      31st of Mar, 2009

the very same thing happened to me, the book cost $6.24 at discount but then when I got my visa statement, $29.95 was taken out for a membership fee and the book was not in stock...when I called them to complain and get a credit, they only cancel the membership, not the fee. Then the next day, they e-mailed me and said my book had been shipped and then that charge appeared on my visa. This all was unauthorized and this company is a THIEF ! Their website I found out was smartsavingcenter.com and how I found them in the 1st place, I went on web looking for a book called Take it Back by Kimberly Daniels, an Apostle.

• Bl
    Boca Raton
    Florida
    Phone: 1-800-528-4800
    discountbooksale.com

I ordered a book at a discounted price. I got an e-mail confirming the purchage, I got charged for the agreed amount. After that, I noticed I had another charge on my credit card for the amount of $12.00. I contacted the company and I was told that when I ordered the book I also enrolled in a membership for $12.00 a month . Apparently I had 7 days to cancel after the purchase.
    This was in the small print of the order.
    Don't you think that it is an unfair practice? I got confirmation for the book but not for the membership . This should also be on the e-mail confirmation.
    According to them . I am not entitle to a refund.
    Could you look into this so other won't fall for their trap?

Louise Turcotte
    50 Hazelwood Dr
    Hudson NH 03051 e-mail: louturco@aol.com

• Is
      21st of May, 2009

Did yall ever recieved the books?

• Is
      21st of May, 2009

Did y'all ever received the books? Because, I have canceled my membership the very first day I order the book.

• Re
      2nd of Jul, 2009

I was also charged 19.95 for a membership that I did not authorize! I ordered a book from them and received confirmation of the order. I never received the email they said they sent confirming my membership. They cancelled the membership, but would not refund the unauthorized charge. This is unethical and disceptive! DO NOT ORDER BOOKS FROM THIS COMPANY. I did receive my book, but it was no bargain!

• Ta
      16th of Jul, 2009

I also ordered a book from them. The "bargain" book (4.62) ended up costing me an additional 19.95 membership and I got a new debit card number to make sure they couldn't charge me again.

• Da
      25th of Jul, 2009

This company needs to be reported to some regulatory comission and shut down. They are thieves and are steeling from internet shoppers left and right. If you haven't called to canel your memebership, make sure you do so because it is a monthly memebership. The agent I spoke with from Disount Book Sales was going to let me hang-up and continue to be charged even though I made it very clear that I wanted nothing more to do with Discount Book Sales. You must state that you want to cancel the membership. Also, I recommend canceling the debit/credit card used to make your purchase because they will continue to charge you even though you canceled your membership.

• Da
      25th of Jul, 2009

Also, this company has three differenct names Best Brand Values, Discount Book Services, and Smart Savings Center. BEWARE! They are all part of the same scam.

• La
      27th of Jul, 2009

OMG! I HATE THESE A HOLES! I ORDERD 2 BOOKS 2 WEEKS AGO. THE TOTLE SHOULD HAVE BEEN $26.11. IT SAID THEY WOULD ARIVE IN 2-3 BUSINESS DAYS, WELL IT'S 2 WEEKS LATER AND I HAVEN'T RECEIVED ANYTHING! ALSO THERE WAS A HIDDEN FEE OF 19.95 THAT I DID NOT AUTORIZE! I CALLED TO GET A REFUND AND THE B ON THE OTHER END SAID. "IM SORRY I CAN NOT DO THAT, YOUR BOOKS ARE ON THEIR WAY. THEY ARE IN KENTUCKEY. I WILL CANCELL YOUR MEBERSHIP FOR YOU."

WHAT?!!! 2 WEEK AND MY BOOKS ARE IN KENTUCKEY? I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA!! WHAT A FRAUDULENT ### "COMANY". PLEASE, NOONE DO BUSINESS WITH THIS HORRIBLE PLACE. I DONT WANT YOU TO BE SCAMED LIKE I WAS!

• Lo
      1st of Aug, 2009

I ordered a book of $0.75 and got charged the 3.99 for shipping ..okay thats cool I thought. I recieved the book 2 weeks ago. Then yesterday on my bank statment 19.95 was charged to discount book sale. I called and just like all the others. Supposedly I agreed to this membership and they sent me an email about it! UHHhhh no...I didnt, and I never got any email ! But the lady who sounds like the same lady every time i've called...Like Asian and very hard to understand. Keeps saying there is no way she can help me since I "did" agree to this 3 day membeship. She said if I go to checkout ill see the membership i agreed to...so I did...I remeber skipping that option...but still... No refund for me! Im gonna try again on Monday...lets see if its the same lady?!!! Thats odd to me. Do you guys think I can do something through my bank?

3rd of Aug, 2009

Same thing here!!! So frustrated after ten minutes on the phone complaining about the 19.95 charge that i was never notified about after speaking to a mild mannered girl i asked to placed on the phone with a manager who obviously was telling her what to say standing right next to her. They told me as well that I too signed up for a membership and had three days to cancell but didn't so they charged me. Never recieved an email confirming said membership so how could i know. Also i said i refused to pay it because i did not sign up for it. I cancelled the order of my book and she said i would be refunded for the 19.95. I will be on their butt's like white on bread if i don't ahve that money in my account tomorrow. SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM. it is disgusting that people take advantage of others when they are jsut trying to save some money. HORRIBLE!!!
    RUN from discount book sale!!! they are just flat out disgusting business people.

• Gr
      10th of Aug, 2009

how do you fight these situations? My daugther was charged over $200 for a $20 BIBLE for crying out loud. she is a college student and this is one month's room and board for her.

can you make a report to BBB or attorney general in their state? I'm going to get that money back one way or another!

• He
      22nd of Aug, 2009

I'm another one who got taken!! But I DO NOT remember seeing that option about the 3 day membership to cancel out. I'm not sure it was there.
    Does EVERYONE remember seeing that option, along with the $19.95 if you don't cancel? My purchase was June 12, 2009.
    I'm wondering if I call my bank and tell them it was not an authorized charge, if they will take it off?

• Br
      1st of Sep, 2009

Do not purchase anything from this company! I bought a book from them at a really low price. Two months later I was charged a fee of $19.95 for joining their discount book club. I did not authorize this charge and I didn't now anything about their book club. They would not issue a refund! I did cancel the membership that they did not authorize and received a confirmation. They are a rip off!

• Va
      13th of Jan, 2010

same thing here! Searching for a book for my granddaughters christmas that was out everywhere. Found it unbelievably priced at .25 used on Discountbooksales. I did not see the option for membership, don't think it was there either. Fortunately I noticed an email the next morning saying I had signed up for a membership from Bestbrandvalues. I called and they said they cancelled..I requested and got a cancellation notice that same day. Now almost exactly a month later I received a notice saying the book was still on order with Discountbooksales. I called them to say to cancel all my orders, all my profiles with any business they were affiliated with. The guy seemed very apologetic on the phone. I told him I was sorry he had to work for such a scam business. Valid businesses should fight this as I refuse now to buy from anywhere except a major brand name or through Amazon. This is sad for the great mom and pop shops trying to make a living in this economy tho. They should ban together to lobby to fight this scam stuff more aggressively.

31st of Jan, 2010

The same thing happened to me as well. I just happened to check my statement and noticed this monthly 19.95 charge for something I did not enroll in!! Robbery.

• Bb
      12th of Feb, 2010

thanks everyone for this valuable feedback. I was about to buy a book from them for the first time, so i thought i would check them out first, found this website with your comments, and have decided to go elsewhere. Your comments help stop unscrupolout businesses like theirs. Sorry you had to suffer, but thanks.

• Vi
      13th of Feb, 2010

THIEFs thats right never any thing about membership fee, not when i ordered or in the email they say they sent me and the last i knew if money is taken out of my account with out my knowlege it is stealing something i have never done and dont think they should get away with THIEFS, THIEFS THEY BELONG IN JAIL cancelled my membership with no refund a 30 day membership that lasted 5 days same price losers