Direct TV / directv takes advantage of the mentally ill

United States, Oklahoma, Tulsa Review updated:
DirecTv is asking me to pay for a bunch of adult pay per view movies that my daughter, Bertha, ordered of the past couple of months. Yes, she was not a minor, but she is highly autistic and naturally at 20 she is getting to the age where is trying to explore herself. This is shame this terrible company is trying make money this way.

D  26th of Sep, 2009 by
Or you could monitor your autistic "child's" behavior.. That seems to be the problem to me.
N  14th of Dec, 2009 by
Why dn't yu turn on parental guidance, channel blocking or account control which blocks purchasing of PPV without entering a 4-digit keycode?

easy - and you don't have to deal with customer service idiots either.
D  2nd of Feb, 2010 by
I'm sorry, but I have to go with DTV (and the other posters) with this one. There are too many options you could have used to prevent this from happening. And since YOU and not DTV knew of your daughter's condition...it was pretty much your responsibility in making sure something like this didn't happen.

You could have invoked parental locks through the remote...the menu for which is on the main menu screen.

You could have asked dtv to disable ppv ordering

You could have removed those channels from your lineup or blocked them altogether.

DTV doesn't produce those shows. They get charged for them and make money off a percentage. Are they supposed to swallow the cost of those charges because you didn't take inititive despite being fully aware of your daugher's limitations and possible actions? I don't think so.

Sounds more like a case of people with disabled family members trying to take advantage of large companies.
D  6th of Mar, 2010 by
agree completly, there are many other ways to control this They were orderd and must be paid!!! needs supervision, . and ppv disabled
D  10th of Apr, 2010 by
I understand why you would feel this way, but I work for DirecTV and if I had taken this call, I could tell you 100% that you would be responsible. Its just the same as teenage boys ordering those movies because they want to see nude girls. DirecTV cant control that, but we do give options to prevent this. Of course you have parental blocks and things like that, but you can also set up your account to block ppv ordering all together unless you the account holder call in to do so. And you can put passwords to accounts that we have to verify. So there are a lot of things you could have done to avoid this.
A  16th of Nov, 2010 by
I liked the lil play on words from "unchienne"...
Said " are they supposed to [swallow] the cost of those charges" ha good 1 ! get it ? [swallow]
D  23rd of Feb, 2011 by
No wonder customer service reps get cranky. Many of us have legitimate concerns with the company. However, by the time they get to us they have already had to deal with people who have a sense of entitlement and complain about stuff like THEIR poor parenting choices (yes, she is 20 but you are not done parenting). How on earth would any person who is not impaired themselves think this is DTV's issue? Idiots!

DirecTV Logo DirecTV