Direct TV / nfl sunday ticket / impossible to cancel

1 Granger, IN, United States Review updated:

I have been with DirecTV for four years. For the first couple of years I subscribed to NFL Sunday Ticket and the College Football package. Last summer, prior to the fall season of football, I decided to drop the NFL Sunday Ticket package.

After searching the web site, I learned that you can only ADD services to your package on the web site. If you want to remove a subscription service, you must call them directly. This the kind of corporate decision that shows their marketing and drive for revenue wins out over customer service. They are intent on making it as difficult as possible to maintain your own account if it means doing something that would cut their revenue - even when it would provide a better experience for the customer.

I called and finally was connected with a Customer Service Representative who put on a heavy sales pitch to try to retain my subscription. After offering all kinds of discounts, I politely declined and made it clear that I just wanted the NFL Sunday Ticket cancelled. When the CSR finally gave in, her tone changed from being helpful and coorperative, to one of being dejected and sullen. They must be under great pressure to maintain these subscriptions, because the change in demeanor was very obvious. She assured me the package was cancelled.

A couple of weeks later, I noticed that my receiver and the website indicated that I was still 'authorized' for the NFL package. So, I called Customer Service again and learned that my account shows I am subscribed for the package. After going back and forth with Customer Service, I was once again assured that it would be cancelled. They offered no explaination as to why it was not done in the first place. (My only conclusion is that the first CSR did not want to complete the cancellation process because it might have reflected poorly on her 'numbers'.)

Forward to the summer of 2008. What do I see on the page for the NFL Sunday Ticket - but a message that shows I am authorized for the package. In what equates to a very deceptive and unethical practive, DirecTV is 'helping me' by auto renewing my subscription to NFL Sunday Ticket. I can understand the auto renewal of existing packages, but not a package that I have chosen to cancel. Again, marketing is driving the company identity over good customer service. Strong companies have the ability to find a balance between the two, but DirecTV is still falling well short.

Once again, I find myself on the phone with CSR to have the package cancelled. Once again, they have assured me that the package has been cancelled. I guess time will tell.

Good luck with these guys. They are a terrible company when it comes to dealing with their customers.

Ch

Comments

• Ca
      2nd of Dec, 2008

we pay our dtv bill by electronic funds transfer, we receive paper mail NEVER. the signed us up for nfl sunday ticket without our permission. we had been being charged for this for over 2 years without knowing it. i take blame for it fro not being more conscious of my bill but it was just taken from my checking automatically every month. when the financial pinch started smelling bad i went through all of our bills and inquired as to why we were being charged for football that i would not watch free, much less pay for. this was on 11/11/08. i also canceled the automated payment and told them i would be paying by regular means from now on partly due to their deceptive packaging. the guy said he would repair this problem since we were solid paying customers with not one late payment in over three years. he also said "your payment method is now set up to pay by conventional mail." this wa on 11/11. i receive notice on 11/18 from wachovia, as well as directv, that directv attempted to withdraw $146.00 from our account and was blocked because their authority to do so was terminated on the 11th.

if i get caught trying to withdraw money from your bank account after being told vehemently not to do so, as well as having a third party-not only privy to-, but party to the execution of my authority to do so being rescinded, i would be charged as a criminal.

the fee to file a small claim in alabama is $81.00. my outstanding balance with directv is $240.00.

see ya in court dtv, because i will not pay you a dime.

they are evil and i wish that everyone who profits from their deceptive practices be fired and wind up homeless.