Direct TV / hd receiver ownership dispute
Went to Best Buy, bought a HD DVR, paid $400+, didn't sign anything but the receipt, and walked out. Activated the receiver but then decided to return receiver because it didn't have our local channels. When I called to deactivate the receiver, directV stated that I had to return the receiver to them otherwise they would charge $500!
I've called many times regarding this issue and they are adamant that there's some magical agreement that everyone should just know when dealing with these crooks. So now if I don't give them back the receiver that I paid a small fortune for, I'll have collections people after me. They wouldn't even let me return the unit to the store and obviously won't give me credit for the unit.
On top of that they tried to tell me they put over $1000 into each receiver. I'm an engineer and work in Manufacturing, if that's the case, they are the biggest ###s in the world. Does anyone really believe that a simple circuit board, a hard drive, and a metal case costs that much? Maybe they're factoring in engineering and who knows what else.
My advice to anyone that would ever foolishly consider this company for service should run as fast as they can to the almost equally deceptive cable companies (I never thought I would say that). Actually, just don't watch TV, that's the only reasonable way to deal with all of these crooks!
More Direct TV Complaints & Reviews
- AT&T / Direc TV Bundle My Services - overcharged 
- Direct TV - stay away - direct tv sucks! 
- Direct TV - very poor service and unacceptable contract 
- Direc TV & Costco - terrible experience! 
- Direct TV - prepaid visa card promotion 
- DirecTV - Can't get refunds returned when Direct TV overdrafts my bank account taking out more money than was due.
- DirecTV - Direct Tv
- DirecTV - dvr recordings
- DirecTV - satellite tv 
- DirecTV - signed up for directv satellite account without my authorization