Direct TV / hd receiver ownership dispute

1 PO Box 915El Segundo, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-888-795-9489

Went to Best Buy, bought a HD DVR, paid $400+, didn't sign anything but the receipt, and walked out. Activated the receiver but then decided to return receiver because it didn't have our local channels. When I called to deactivate the receiver, directV stated that I had to return the receiver to them otherwise they would charge $500!
I've called many times regarding this issue and they are adamant that there's some magical agreement that everyone should just know when dealing with these crooks. So now if I don't give them back the receiver that I paid a small fortune for, I'll have collections people after me. They wouldn't even let me return the unit to the store and obviously won't give me credit for the unit.
On top of that they tried to tell me they put over $1000 into each receiver. I'm an engineer and work in Manufacturing, if that's the case, they are the biggest ###s in the world. Does anyone really believe that a simple circuit board, a hard drive, and a metal case costs that much? Maybe they're factoring in engineering and who knows what else.
My advice to anyone that would ever foolishly consider this company for service should run as fast as they can to the almost equally deceptive cable companies (I never thought I would say that). Actually, just don't watch TV, that's the only reasonable way to deal with all of these crooks!

St

Comments

• Cs
      5th of Oct, 2009

I agree with you. My mum ordered directv for my brother. I had to use my debit card
    to get the order going. But I did get the $25 back in a few days. My brother was having so much problems with his reciever..the channels kept changing and switching..around.
    So in three months my brother's directv service was cutoff. Due to none payment. Well I called directv..told them precisely do not take nothing from my debit card. Few days after that. They without authourization took out $611.65 out of my bank acct. I quickly called my bank..have them cancel my debit card. Then I reported directv to the BBB and to the FCC. I got an email..from BBB..they told me directv will return my money back to my bank. But they haven't yet. I told BBB to give directv a message for me. I will never trust directv again. What they illegally did. They still haven't returned my money.

Hope this helps.